GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before we left for our 600 mile trip to disney. We had a full load with five adults and one baby. The SkyBox worked perfect and I would recommend it to anyone looking for one. The gas milage went down to about 19.5 @ 75-80 mph most of the trip. I think a little slower would have increased it. We love our Acadia and for the first time our road trip was actually enjoyable!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
It looks goods. Did you have any problems with it hitting the antenna or the hatch opening?

Bobby

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No probs with the antenna. It was about a quarter an inch away. Hatch was fine.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Disneyland or Disneyworld? Doesn't really matter I guess, just curious

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Florida... I think world

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Yeah its Disneyworld; how much space would you think you saved on the inside with the box on top; maybe some pics with the Acadia loaded

·
Registered
111 Posts
Curious --does the box open from the sides, like a clam shell, hinged front to back down the middle, or is the top one piece? One problem, I did notice a fleck of dirt on the left front fender, and another on the back hatch. (No, just kidding.) The truck looks quite handsome and immaculate from every angle. Seeing the USA in style on the 4th of July!

·
Registered
614 Posts
jsimms said:
Yeah its Disneyworld; how much space would you think you saved on the inside with the box on top; maybe some pics with the Acadia loaded
That box looks big enough for either one adult, or two children. Who got to ride up there?

·
Super Moderator
21,964 Posts
mrvids said:
That box looks big enough for either one adult, or two children. Who got to ride up there?
Shhhhh! :rofl: I thought it was for the JATO bottle!! :angel:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The box opens from either side and was very easy to load. We had about 6 or 7 big duffel bags. Plenty of room for expensive junk we brought back.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
freddydjr said:
The box opens from either side and was very easy to load. We had about 6 or 7 big duffel bags. Plenty of room for expensive junk we brought back.....
Great pics. Do you know the exact model number, etc.? Where did you purchase it from, etc.? Looks great.

JW

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was reading some of the comments about SkyBox on REI and they said that their's a problem with the box getting hot. Did any of the owners of this box notice that, or have any thoughts on this? I'm thinking because its black and it will get hot in the summer but just asking. Also, did anyone look at the Thule Ascent 1600 as alternative to the Yakima Skybox?

Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I looked at the Ascent last year but it was too small for me, so I ended up installing the Thule Atlantis 1800.

·
Registered
29 Posts
preytor said:
I looked at the Ascent last year but it was too small for me, so I ended up installing the Thule Atlantis 1800.
Do you have the factory cross bars? If so, how much of box hits the back end of the antenna and the rear hatch going up?
Any pictures?

thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
nope, at that time the dealership don't have a factory cross bar so a friend helped install a thule crossbar. the back was barely touching the antenna. the atlantis opens from the side, so opening it is not a problem. after the trip i removed everything, because the crossbar was crimping the roof rack.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
preytor said:
the crossbar was crimping the roof rack.
was there too much weight in the box or is there some design/install issue?

·
Registered
250 Posts
weight is not an issue. the thule crossbar is wrapped around the rack and is tightened by some kind of an allen wrench. the tightening crimps the rack. the thule crossbar is just not designed for the acadia's roofrack.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
preytor said:
weight is not an issue. the thule crossbar is wrapped around the rack and is tightened by some kind of an allen wrench. the tightening crimps the rack. the thule crossbar is just not designed for the acadia's roofrack.
I see

1 - 20 of 23 Posts