GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the what constant and variable power steering is. I noticed the sle comes with constant and the slt comes with variable. Thank you

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Constant - Gives the same amount of power assist regardless of speed.
Variable - Gives more power assist at slower speeds. This allows for the best of both worlds. At slow speeds, like in parking lots, the steering will be effortless and very easy. But when on the open road, the assist lowers so you can get a better feel of the road.

I had Variable in my 1997 Grand Prix and absolutely loved it. I was thrilled to get it again in the Acadia.

·
Registered
415 Posts
GAR said:
Constant - Gives the same amount of power assist regardless of speed.
Variable - Gives more power assist at slower speeds. This allows for the best of both worlds. At slow speeds, like in parking lots, the steering will be effortless and very easy. But when on the open road, the assist lowers so you can get a better feel of the road.

I had Variable in my 1997 Grand Prix and absolutely loved it. I was thrilled to get it again in the Acadia.
I have a SLT FWD 2009 how do I know what type of power steering I have? can i check by looking at the vin number?

mine does not seem to be true at low speeds-it seems like more effort needed at low speeds but nothing that is alarming. Also the low moaning noise coming from the pump is this normal or a bad pump? dealer told me they where afraid to change it as it might be the same with a new pump? not sure what kind of logic that is. I just wanted a answer if this is normal or not and if its safe espically with a child in the car. I called gm c/s and they told me this noise is normal

·
Registered
359 Posts
SLT09_ACADIA said:
I have a SLT FWD 2009 how do I know what type of power steering I have? can i check by looking at the vin number?

mine does not seem to be true at low speeds-it seems like more effort needed at low speeds but nothing that is alarming. Also the low moaning noise coming from the pump is this normal or a bad pump? dealer told me they where afraid to change it as it might be the same with a new pump? not sure what kind of logic that is. I just wanted a answer if this is normal or not and if its safe espically with a child in the car. I called gm c/s and they told me this noise is normal
Check your Service Parts Info Label in your glove box. See if you have RPO code 'NV7' listed there. I have variable-effort steering on my '09 Outlook XR and that's the RPO code for it. No NV7 means you probably standard pwr steering.

You can have all your RPO codes listed for your specific vehicle by supplying your VIN number to any GM dealer and have their parts or service department run you a GMVIS report. Google your RPO codes if you're feeling adventurous.

The Dealer should at minimum be able to do a power steering fluid change to see if that helps out. No moaning noise observed in my vehicle other than what accompanies the odd bit of humour.

Regards,
/BTV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts