GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm requesting sticky status on this please.

Problem: Power steering pump whine on the Acadia. It doesn't affect driving/turning, just annoying. It's pretty much done it for the last year or so.

Supplies:
1 - turkey baster (yes, I'm serious. Quit laughing)
1 - 4in piece of 1/4in tubing
1 - quart of Dexron 6 transmission fluid
1 - 20min or so of your time

Procedure:

Attached 4in of 1/4in tubing to the end of the turkey baster (it slips on snug). Take the cap off of the power steering fluid tank and insert the tubing (attached to the end of the turkey baster mind you) and squeeze the bulb on the turkey baster. Do this until the tank is empty. Refill with Dexron 6, crank car and rotate the steering wheel left-right, right-left. (Be careful to NOT overfill it!!)

Repeat above 2-3 times or until the fluid is cherry red in color.

Result:

Power steering whine is gone and the system got fresh synthetic Dexron 6.

Cost:

1 - turkey baster (target) - 2.50
1 - 12in tubing from Advance Auto Parts - 2.00 (only sold by the foot)
1 - quart of Dexron 6 from WalMart - 4.50

This will save you some money by avoiding a trip to the dealer. There is a bulletin out there for power steering whine and the first thing they will do is flush the system with Dex6.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I tried to get my dealer to do it on my 2008 but they said it wouldn't help, so I did it myself.

One modification to your list:
1 - turkey baster (kitchen) - 0.00 ;D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff95TA said:
I tried to get my dealer to do it on my 2008 but they said it wouldn't help, so I did it myself.

One modification to your list:
1 - turkey baster (kitchen) - 0.00 ;D
Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!

Yea, my wife wasn't to keen on me using hers.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
I thought I made a how to post on this...
maybe I only did it on the Traverse forum?

But yes- turkey baster with the little hose...is exactly how I do it.
And that is PS fluid that goes in clear- comes out black.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here is the most current TSB out on this issue and it doesn't show to use dexron VI but to use GM power steering fluid. Just an FYI.

Service Information
You are not authorized to view the requested information.

You are not authorized to view the requested information...
Service Information You are not authorized to view the requested information.

View on gsi.ext.gm.com
Preview by Yahoo

2008 GMC Truck Acadia - AWD | Acadia, Enclave, OUTLOOK VIN R/V Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2553380

#10-02-32-002A: Whine or Moan Type Noise from Power Steering System During Low Speed Maneuvers (Perform Repair as Outlined Below) - (Dec 20, 2010)

Subject: Whine or Moan Type Noise from Power Steering System During Low Speed Maneuvers (Perform Repair as Outlined Below)

Models: 2008-2011 Buick Enclave
2009-2011 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2011 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK
Built Prior to August 01, 2010
Attention: This bulletin also applies to any of the above models that may be export vehicles.
Some customers may comment on a whine or moan type noise from the power steering system during low speed maneuvers.
Cause
This condition may be caused by either low or contaminated fluid or there may be air in the system.
Correction
1. Inspect the power steering fluid for proper level, contamination or signs of air in the system.
o If the fluid is low, fill and re-evaluate the vehicle.
o If the fluid appears contaminated, flush the system (refer to the procedure in SI) and thoroughly bleed the system using the revised procedure listed below. Re-evaluate the vehicle.
o If there is air in the system, thoroughly bleed the system using the revised procedure listed below and re-evaluate the vehicle.
2. If after re-evaluation the noise is not corrected or if the inspection does not identify the root cause, replace the power steering pump with new P/N 20954812. This new pump is a 12 vane pump. Vehicles built after August 01, 2010, already have the new pump.
Power Steering System Bleed Procedure
1. Apply the park brake.
2. Using a floor jack and jack stands, raise the front of the vehicle until the center of the front wheels are approximately 61 cm (24 in) off the ground.
3. Fill the power steering fluid reservoir with fluid to the bottom of the filler neck. Leave the cap off. Place towels around the reservoir as fluid will flow out from the reservoir onto the engine.
4. With the key in the ON position and with the engine OFF, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop until the fluid level maintains a consistent level and air bubbles becomes fewer within the reservoir (fluid will rise and fall while the steering wheel is turned. Trapped air will allow the fluid to fall. Maintain fluid level at all times). It may take several minutes to complete this process.
5. Ensure that the fluid level is at the bottom of the filler neck.
6. Connect the CH-43485 adapter to the GE-23738-A pump.
7. Hold the CH-43485 adapter on the top of the reservoir filler neck.
8. Apply a vacuum of 68 kPa (20 in Hg, 10 psi).
9. Set the GE-23738-A pump down. The vacuum will hold the CH-43485 adapter in place.
Note: The vacuum gauge needle will fluctuate while the steering wheel is moving.
10. Maintain a vacuum of 68 kPa (20 in Hg, 10 psi) while turning the steering wheel from stop to stop. Hold the steering wheel at each steering stop until air bubbles become fewer within the clear hose. Maintain fluid level at all times. It may take several minutes to complete this process.
11. With the steering wheel in the straight position, maintain a vacuum of 68 kPa (20 in Hg, 10 psi) for 5 minutes.
12. Inspect the condition of the fluid in the clear hose on the CH-43485 adapter. If any bubbles are in the fluid, repeat steps 10 and 11.
13. Lower the vehicle.
14. Relieve the vacuum in the GE-23738-A pump.
15. Remove the CH-43485 adapter from the reservoir filler neck.
16. Ensure that the power steering fluid level is at the MAX mark on the capstick fluid level indicator.
17. With the reservoir cap off, start the engine. Slowly rotate the steering wheel from stop to stop 10 times. Hold the steering wheel at each stop for 2 seconds.
18. Verify that the steering system does not shudder while turning the steering wheel. If the steering system exhibits a shudder condition, repeat steps 1 through 17.
19. Turn the engine OFF.
20. Ensure the power steering fluid level is at the MAX mark on the capstick fluid level indicator. Install the cap to the reservoir.
21. Test drive the vehicle.
Parts Information
Part Number Description
89021184 (In Canada, use 89021186) Power Steering Fluid
20954812 Power Steering Pump
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the appropriate labor operation for the repair performed.
Labor Operation Description Labor Time
E9523* Flush and Bleed Power Steering System to Correct Noise Concern 0.9 hr
E9524* Bleed Power Steering System to Correct Noise Concern 0.7 hr
E9050 Power Steering Pump Replacement Use Published Labor Operation Time
* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2014 General Motors. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rbarrios said:
I thought I made a how to post on this...
maybe I only did it on the Traverse forum?

But yes- turkey baster with the little hose...is exactly how I do it.
And that is PS fluid that goes in clear- comes out black.

I didn't see this on the Traverse forums. I found some obscure post on a Silverado/Sierra forum and thought to myself, "self, you can do this yourself!"

TBH, this process you can do on any vehicle.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have one of these, http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405440889&sr=8-2&keywords=mityvac+oil+extractor It works great. You can keep an eye out on Ebay, some times they are on there for a lot less in cost.

Works great for changing out the power steering fluid along with the lawn mowers and transmission fluid on vehicles. I just did a fluid swap on a 2003 Buick Century, it pulled out 6qts of ATF, refilled with fresh ATF. Easy to do and not messy at all.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Also no guarantee the Dex VI swap prevent future leaks. Dealer switched mine over to Dex VI back in April at 28k miles. Steering gear started leaking last week at 35k miles....which the dealer promptly replaced so this is more or less an FYI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
divotdug
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing