GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am inquiring about the variable assist power steering rack.

I replaced the power steering rack this weekend on a 2016 GMC Acadia. I removed a rack, likely it was ac delco part 23271562 because it had the variable assist on it, with ac delco part 23271566 which is the same as the other part except it does not have the variable assist. Everything works great except we have the "service power steering" code pop up each time we start the vehicle.

Is there a way to change the programming in the vehicle so that it recognizes no variable power steering?

Thank you,
Louie

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
Is there a way to change the programming in the vehicle so that it recognizes no variable power steering?
There probably is a way to change the programming, but it would have to be done by someone with a good scan tool, 'permission' to access the the vehicle software, and knowledge about recoding it. A dealer's service center likely will not do that for you. Find a good 'tuner' and ask them if they're capable of doing so.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
I replaced the power steering rack this weekend on a 2016 GMC Acadia. I removed a rack, likely it was ac delco part 23271562 because it had the variable assist on it, with ac delco part 23271566 which is the same as the other part except it does not have the variable assist. ...
Why didn't you replace the rack with the correct part in the first place? It could have been known the vehicle was equipped with variable-assist power steering by checking RPO codes on the SPID label.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why didn't you replace the rack with the correct part in the first place? It could have been known the vehicle was equipped with variable-assist power steering by checking RPO codes on the SPID label.
"Correct part" is subjective. This is "a" correct part. Basically I did some reading and found many people say they don't like the magnasteer, or variable steer assist, and I found that many folks had problems with it anyway so I figured I'd save a few bucks and replace it with one without it.

The vehicles power steering went out so I replaced the pressure line (it had a leak), the pump, and the rack. The pump never made a squeal sound or anything that would indicate it went bad. My gut told me it was something that contaminated the fluid and something got locked in the steering rack. It was super easy to change the pump with the rack out. Much harder to only change the pump by itself. I still have the variable assist fitting from the old rack and I could potentially swap it onto the new rack and pray that that was not the issue from the beginning that cause the power steering to stop working.

It came down to cost. I'm in the job for about $600 in parts and to buy a power steering tester and go through all that would have set me back about the same so I figured what the heck, let's just replace all of it. It took me about 10 hours. I was quoted anywhere from 2,600 to 3,400 at mechanic shops to replace these. Just to replace the pump I was quoted, if my memory serves me right, around 1,200. If I was to do this again, I could probably do it in about 6 or 7 hours and that's without a vehicle lift, if everything went right. I do not want to remove those exhaust bolts again as I think they are one removal away from having to be replaced and I definitely don't have the tools to repair it unless I just drill them out and not care about what they look like after I was done with them.

I hope this helps a little.

Louie

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
In modern vehicles, "a" correct part (one that fits, and for the most part works), isn't really. That code might be able to be bypassed by a tuner, but how much money will you save adding it all up? Your choice obviously, I kinda get it.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
In modern vehicles, "a" correct part (one that fits, and for the most part works), isn't really. That code might be able to be bypassed by a tuner, but how much money will you save adding it all up? Your choice obviously, I kinda get it.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Well. . whatever the case .. . . at this point . .. . it is what it is.
So as noted. . try and find a good shop with the programming equipment and skills to marry the replacement rack into the vehicle system.

It maybe another $200 or so, but then you have a proper result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts