GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a power liftgate that I can't open all the way in my garage. I read somewhere here that I could open it manually and stop it half way. Well when I flip it to manual I cannot open it. Am I missing something? I tried opening it with that handle on the back is that wrong? ??? ???

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got the same problem in that I too cannot open my liftgate all the way in my garage without it hitting. :banghead:

So what I've done is that I make sure that the switch is on manual so that we don't "accidentally" hit the liftgate button on the key-FOB and have a disaster. :eek:hno:

I don't understand what you're problem is? It's simple, just put the switch (below the temperature controls) on manual then make sure the doors are unlocked and then go outside and open it manually using the handle (it's sort of a button-type thing that you press to release it). ;)

It would be great if you could somehow program the automatic liftgate to only open 80 - 90% of the way, then I'd be able to clear in my garage. As it is now, if I want to open it in the garage, I first have to put a towel on top of the rear window wiper/chrome piece right above the license plate before opening it slowly manually. This is the only solution I've have been able to come up with. I'm considering velcroing some foam or something on the inside of my garage door so I can open my liftgate without hassling with the towel. ???

To date we've just been opening the liftgate in the driveway and unloading there before pulling the Acadia back into the garage. :thumb:

If anyone knows if you can program the automatic liftgate to not open all the way, I'd be very happy to hear about that. ;D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I tried glueing foam on the garage door and got a tiny chip anyway. Darn.
I can open the lift gate with the garage door open and clear it by about an inch only IF I am about 3 inches from the front garage wall. My brother in law made a wooden thing for the garage floor that I stop at when my tire hits it and that works great. Hanging something from the ceiling didn't work as you have to stop within inches and it wasn't that accurate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks MKA.

I guess I'll just continue to unload in the driveway. It's kind of inconvenient, but I'll deal with it if it means I won't be scratching/damaging my liftgate in the garage. 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you want to take the time to do it, you could BACK into the garage so the tailgate is away from the door. Just think how quickly you can leave again too! :thumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well when I flip it to manual I cannot open it.
Make sure the doors are unlocked. There is a touchpad under the handle. When you put you hand in, press the touchpad to unlatch the door then pull open. The door latch is electically controlled.

My tailgate hits the door too unless I pull in another two feet. But then I block the bikes, lawnmower, etc. I started with putting the switch in manual. But, then I would forget to turn it back on. Very frustrating when it wouldn't open when my arms were full from shopping.

So, I've since attached a foam noodle (the kind you use in the pool) to the inside bottom of the door. Works very well. The tailgate hits the door at the top edge of the license plate - where the Saturn logo is on my car. Works well for either power or manual opening. If using power, the tailgate pushes the door up a little then stops.

I pushed a 3/4" strap through the middle of noodle - it's about 2' long - added two 90 degree bends and attached the strap to the door with sheet metal screws. The strap is the kind you would use to hang air ducts, water pipes, furnace vents, etc, when building a home.

The noodle is firm enough to keep the tailgate from hitting anything that could scratch or chip it but also soft enough to not scratch the tailgate.

I hope this works for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
SFmail said:
If you want to take the time to do it, you could BACK into the garage so the tailgate is away from the door. Just think how quickly you can leave again too! :thumb:
This does work (on one side of my two-car garage) due to the way my ductwork is. However, we don't park the Acadia on that side of the garage as it wouldn't allow much space to open the doors. Plus, my wife back in that big Acadia? ??? Yeah right!!!! :D :D

I'm going to have to try some type of padding on the inside of the garage door. :thumb:

It's not too much of a pain so far, so for now I'll just continue to open the door outside. :)

Tim said:
I've since attached a foam noodle (the kind you use in the pool) to the inside bottom of the door. Works very well.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
SFmail said:
We do this when we have stuff in back to unload. Otherwise we have to do the manual thing with a towel on top of the hatch so it doesn't get scratched up.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
May not help with the current issue at the current time, but we ran into a similar problem in our next-to-next-to last house with the Durango. The garage was a ridiculous 19x21 or so- I called it a 1.5 car garage. I was able to glue some closed cell foam pipe insulation (found at Home Depot/Lowes in the plumbing section) over the ridge in the door where the liftgate hit, same concept as Tim did above with the noodle, different foam product.

I made sure on the next one (24x32) & the current one (25x25 & 12' ceiling due to the house layout) we had plenty of room. It sucks how builders are making houses smaller & jamming more into subdivisions these days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts