GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those with power liftgates. I like the idea of the power liftgate for when I'm out and about with my kid, but actually, I have very little headroom in my garage. With my current car, I sometimes open the hatchback only about halfway to get my stuff out. So the question is, if you have the power liftgate, can you somehow stop the gate midway, so as to prevent it from lifting all the way up if you use the power? And I assume I could still just open the back manually without using the power, right?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have not disabled the power liftgate and done it manually, but I assume it would work.

With the power liftgate enabled, if it encounters an obstruction on the way up, it will reverse direction and close. if you press the button when it's half way up, it will reverse direction and close. So i don't think there's a way to do it only half way...

·
Registered
185 Posts
yeah. you'd have to put it into manual mode. which is a click of a button on the console. I've opened mine manually a couple of times. while I can't say I've ever actually stopped it midway, I know it is pretty rigid and should stay in place wherever you stop it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
follow up. I stopped my lift gate from opening fully in my garage the other day and it stayed where I stopped it. Did not reverse itself and close. Wasn't "half way" but it was before a full opening. After I was finished, I clicked the button and it closed from that point :cheers:

·
Registered
261 Posts
In order to avoid any potential damage to the liftgate while in the garage, I would suggest turning off the power button. Your remote could also start the liftgate by accident if its stuffed in your pocket and something pushes against it. Maybe unlikely, but accidents do happen. Rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue with the liftgate in my garage. It will hit the top frame of my garage door. I am wondering if there is a way to reduce the amount that the door opens. If mine would stop 1 inch sooner, I would be in good shape. Any ideas if this can be done. Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
We need to know the secret diagnostic mode you can enter through the Nav unit and made adjustments to how far it will open.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you hit the switch to OFF (in between the seat heater buttons) you can manually open and close the door. You still have to go back and touch the rear liftgate, wait for it the unlock, then raise it up manually. It works just like any other liftgate where you can hold it with your hand.

It happens to me in my garage too so I just forget I ever have the power doo-hickey and open it manually when I'm inside. Other that that, I love hitting the switch and watching it go by itself in a parking lot! Ahhh....cheap entertainment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem with the garage being about an inch too short.

I solved by putting foam pipe insulation on the piece of the garage door that the tailgate hits.

It's not worth it to switch the gate off in the garage every time. Now I just let it go up all the way and go to a nice padded stop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I solved by putting foam pipe insulation on the piece of the garage door that the tailgate hits.

I second that. Fully opened it just grazes a metal portion of my garage door. When loading something the car shakes and has created a few scratches at the point where it has rubbed on the door. I used some left over insulation from a pergo floor and taped it to the inside of the garage door with double sided tape. Problem solved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same problem in our garage but when I need to open the hatch, I simply back into the garage and that way it does not hit the opener... problem solved. (my hubby can always tell when I've had her out ::)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ours will hit the garage door as well. I think I'm going to put some foam on the critical parts "just in case".

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just unload outside and then pull it in the garage. Annoying for sure, but it leaves no scratches.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I did scratched my vue up twice like this. Since the power liftgate has safety features to pop it out of power mode i just open it up and tug on the door to spring it free

1 - 15 of 15 Posts