GMC Acadia Forum banner

Does your power liftgate drop w/o warning?

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mid-2008 SLT-1 power liftgate almost took my head off several weeks ago. It lifted normally, but as I leaned when it reached its top position, it suddenly collapsed with a loud "CRUNCH", dropping freely and hitting me behind my neck and shoulder (luckily not just my neck).

Now it does the same thing every time it opens, so I have to grab it and hold it up just before it reaches the top. I took it to my dealer (Hardy GMC) for service 4 weeks ago and was told 'it needs a new part, and we'll call you when it comes in'.

I've been busy ever since and they have yet to call... but on the bright side, my left arm is getting quite the workout of late. Otherwise, it's been a great ride so far.

Anyone else been nearly decapitated?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
This subject title is to funny. I almost fell off my chair! Happy you were not injuried. That sure would be a safety issue the way you discribed. There is another thread that addresses, "Liftgate." that you might want to search and read. Do search on subject, then post.
Fortunately, we are minus power gate. Hope the dealer takes care of you, soooon.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
I just realized if you drop the "S" off the model, you have a popular Chevy V8 motor in both Gen 1 and Gen 2 variations. :)

Also glad you were not hurt. I had a vehicle that did this (I forget which one, I think it was my '88 Supra) and it was the struts worn out. I got whacked once & started using a prop rod on the hatch until I could replace the struts (I think it was probably mad at me for putting a Chevy motor in it ;)). The Acadia design would make this more of a challenge.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I couldn't decide to vote no or WHAT!!!! It is a funny title, not a funny problem. Good thing you were on the ball.

·
Registered
668 Posts
We had a similar problem with our Enclave when it was about 6 mos old, but it didn't DROP like a guillotine. Basically, it would just slowly fall back down after it was opened. One of the hydraulic struts was slowly failing and I called our dealer, giving him the TSB that was out on it at the time and he immediately ordered TWO new struts with no questions asked. They came in a few days and the dealer changed them out under warranty at the next oil change. I am sure this is what is wrong with yours as well. Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I LOVE THE TITLE TO THIS !!!!

Just had to say that :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had a similar problem with our Enclave when it was about 6 mos old, but it didn't DROP like a guillotine. Basically, it would just slowly fall back down after it was opened. One of the hydraulic struts was slowly failing and I called our dealer, giving him the TSB that was out on it at the time and he immediately ordered TWO new struts with no questions asked. They came in a few days and the dealer changed them out under warranty at the next oil change. I am sure this is what is wrong with yours as well. Good luck with the repair.
sorry for asking do you have the TSB number

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
sorry for asking do you have the TSB number
It's not a TSB. GM issued a Recall for it:
#15240: Product Safety - Power Lift Gate Prop Rod Recovery - (Nov 10, 2015)
Models: 2007-2012 GMC Acadia Built Prior to March 1, 2012 and Equipped with Power Lift Gate (TB5 or E61)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
speleos
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing