GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have really enjoyed my power liftgate but, now with 27000 miles it is not working. When the liftgate is almost open the door drops about 5 inches and grinds to a stop. It then proceeds to close. When trying to open manually it is like a dead weight and will not stay open. This is a royal PITA making it impossible to get anything out unless you have someone strong enough to hold the gate open. Anyway will be taking it to the dealer for repair this week.

Anybody else have a similar probem?

·
Registered
125 Posts
At 28000 mi. mine has started to settle about a foot after it opens. I'll get it to the dealer after I get the hail damage fixed. I had the good luck to be in Marble Falls, TX last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Dang, those houses are HUGE where you live kantkwit! Sorry about the hail damage, that sucks....and to MrJoe, I don't understand the power gate not working affects the manual operation, that doesn't sound good at all. I'm sure you did this, but is it possible that switching the switch to OFF would help?

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's definitely covered under comprehensive coverage, subject to your deductible, should you have one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hmmm, hail damage in "Marble Falls, TX"...sounds like the "Welcome To..." sign should read "Caution" instead!

I had this liftgate strut problem with my 2007 earlier this month, except it would settle about a foot then SLAM shut. The second time it missed my eight-year-old by a scream.

The dealer fixed it under warranty, no problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess this has happened on more than a few vehicles. I just hope it will not happen every 25-30k miles.
Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Gills said:
Hmmm, hail damage in "Marble Falls, TX"...sounds like the "Welcome To..." sign should read "Caution" instead!
It should have read "Baseball Falls". Biggest hailstones I have ever seen.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Let's all be honest - the power liftgate is a beautiful luxury (I love it myself) but it is a mechanism waiting to fail. It will happen to all of them eventually - just hope it's under warranty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well THAT'S a pleasant thought. :eek:hno:

Here's hoping it doesn't happen to most of us! :cheers:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Just being realistic.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Could someone tell me what was happening just prior to their liftgate failure. I brought my vehicle to the dealer and told him that when opening the liftgate I hear a bang or thud as it approaches the open position. They said that it was fine and just lubricated the mechanism. I am not sure that this will help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I didn't notice any noises; the gate would fully open and then slowly drop about a foot, then slam shut.

I would think the bang or thud would indicate something loose or broken, not something needing lubrication...

I'll give it a listen in a bit just to see what 'normal' sounds like.

Gills

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I would think the bang or thud would indicate something loose or broken, not something needing lubrication...

I'll give it a listen in a bit just to see what 'normal' sounds like.

Gills
[/quote]

That was my contention, but what do I know. Only been driving and working on cars and motor homes for 50 years so I guess I still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not have any indication that there was a problem developing. I do use mine fairly frequently as I have a bad back. I would guess that there is a problem with the struts as the door opens fine but then when the liftgate is fully open and the motor stops the door drops like there are no working struts until the motor catches the door. It then proceeds to automatically shut. Also when trying to open the liftgate manually it feels like dead weight. No help from the struts to open or hold the liftgate in the open position.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also had similar symptoms with the liftgate. Dealer installed 2 new struts at 17,000 and now all is fine.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
kantkwit said:
It should have read "Baseball Falls". Biggest hailstones I have ever seen.
:eek:fftopic: Lakewood, Broomfield, Northglen and Westminster, CO (1984) hailstones 5-6 inches in diameter. Destroyed 100's of cars - flattened roofs down to the dashboard. One person dead - knocked out and flushed down a storm sewer. Feel lucky, kantkwit!

BOT (back on topic), it surprises me that very few folks mentioned any problems with tailgate struts in the last 2 winters. That is usually when a lot of them fail. This failure is most likely caused by a drop in gas pressure within the strut during cold snaps. Whatever uses the strut for support (hood, tailgate, etc.) won't stay in the up position and falls faster than it should when you go to close that whatever.

The struts are made similar to oil-filled, gas-charged shock absorbers. Another sign of failure occurs if you ever notice any oil coming out near the inner shaft. They should be replaced then, too.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
09Enclave said:
Dang, those houses are HUGE where you live kantkwit!...
LOL and like 15' apart from each other from the looks of it. Reminds me of the subdivision where my sister lived (we house sat for them while our home was bring built). You could hear the guy next door's garage opener from the master bathroom.

Anyhow, Mrs. Blue just got back from a trip and our liftgate has died after a year and around 23K miles, so it is time for another trip to the dealer.

EDIT[/color]
The liftgate was not broken, just switched off. Kid Blue figured that one out yesterday. Disregard this post.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
LOL and like 15' apart from each other from the looks of it. Reminds me of the subdivision where my sister lived (we house sat for them while our home was bring built). You could hear the guy next door's garage opener from the master bathroom.
[ :eek:fftopic: ]
Now to go completely off-track:

I noticed the house spacing too. Just to contrast, the protective covenants in our neighborhood state that on December 21st of any year, my house cannot cast a shadow onto any of my neighbors' houses. Our subdivision was originally planned as a solar community. :sunny:

[/ :eek:fftopic: ]

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
mmmm, I wonder why my manual lift gate has been okay going on 3rd winter. Perhaps the strutts are beefier. We open the rear hatch on average 6x's a week.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts