GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was loading groceries into my 2007 Acadia and the liftgate came crashing on my head. Did not work ever since. Would not stay open. I have brought it to the dealer for the 3rd time today. They had to finally order a new module which they installed today but they need to calibrate it and it needs to be at room temperature to do it. I need to bring it back a 4th time to leave it overnight so that it is at room temperature

Anyone else have this issue? I love my Acadia, but having to hold up the liftgate so it doesn't crash on my head has been a royal pain in the $%#.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: Power liftgate broken

Ouch!

OMG, I haven't heard of any others having this problem. Gawd, I have a 2007. I'm crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Update, left my Acadia overnight at the dealership so they could calibrate at room temp. They still cannot get it fixed.

I am not confident they can ever get this fixed...am I the only one with trouble with the liftgate?

·
Registered
249 Posts

mloupagu said:
Update, left my Acadia overnight at the dealership so they could calibrate at room temp. They still cannot get it fixed.

I am not confident they can ever get this fixed...am I the only one with trouble with the liftgate?
Wow. Well I certainly wouldn't accept ANYTHING other than a fixed liftgate - which I'm sure you won't. Were there ANY warning signs you noticed before it failed on you? Funny noises? Hesitation? Anything? Did anything happen, like it striking an obstalce?

I'm just wondering if there's something we can look out for?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

update, the dealer replaced the struts and the liftgate is now working. Finally. The dealership had limited experience working on this since the model is so new. The service manager told me about how many parts are involved with this power liftgate....very complicated and confusing.

I had no prior warning of this being broken. It seemed to work fine until the day it crashed on my head. I still love my Acadia but as my son said, that is what I get for buying a first year model!!! Oh well....

I did have another issue with my car this past summer, when I went to go start it and the battery was dead. I had just driven it the day before so it was not sitting there not being used. I had to call roadside assistance to jump start me, took it to the dealership who could not find anything wrong.

Sigh....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are my rear hatch "shocks" worn, or just too cold?

First time it happened I thought my wife was playing with the key fob :poke:
Second time, It came down hard on my noggin, OUCH!!
I've noticed that it is not going up completely, and even after I give it a boost, it will come down in less than 1 minute.

pneumatics can't take the cold?

Just one more thing to add to my list Love/Hate about my Acadia

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Re: Are my rear hatch "shocks" worn, or just too cold?

We don't have pwr lift and sounds like the pneumatics have a leak. Can the pwr lift be operated manually? if so, raise the hatch door yourself and see if it will stay. Perhaps the switch is shot and wants to come down right away?.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Merge Similar Topic[/color]

·
Registered
56 Posts
On the manual question: I was amazed at how easily the lift on my '09 operates manually, as I do have the automatic lift. It's as smooth as if it had not controls attached to it at all.

And: If I had a nickel for every lift support I've been around that has broken... ;) My wife's '06 HHR right now has broken lifts supports on the hood. Past warranty, and I'm being lazy about replacing them. :-\ My sister's Toyota's trunk goes through a set about every 2 years too. First one's went out at only 6 months on her. I just guess this type of device is something they'll never make worth much. Oh well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: Are my rear hatch "shocks" worn, or just too cold?

BrickLover said:
First time it happened I thought my wife was playing with the key fob :poke:
Second time, It came down hard on my noggin, OUCH!!
I've noticed that it is not going up completely, and even after I give it a boost, it will come down in less than 1 minute.

pneumatics can't take the cold?

Just one more thing to add to my list Love/Hate about my Acadia
Right side replaced and all is good!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello, I noticed that there's an issue with keeping the Lift Gate open. I'm surprised a dealer would even look at the Lift Mechanism, and not the support struts. The struts are what HOLD it up. Any dealer should know that. As far as the person who stated they replaced 1 side, this is a NO-NO. They are tensioned, and should always be replaced in pairs (Ask your dealer, or supplier). The reason is, if 1 is bad, the other is on it's way out too. If you have 1 side with 100% and 1 with 75%, it causes twist when you close it. It can cause enough flex to break the window glass. I have seen this, and know it's true. That doesn't mean you won't be ok, but be very weary of doing this. If you go to a dealer under warranty, they will always replace both. Good luck to my fellow owners, and luckily, no issues yet on my '08. :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same problem for about a month now. The LH assist strut is leaking oil. I suspect this is why the the door is failing (comes up about normal speed, slows under the weight, then drops about 6+"s then closes). I would like to replace both struts (LH and RH). Does anyone know where I can get them and what the part numbers are??

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Narg said:
On the manual question: I was amazed at how easily the lift on my '09 operates manually, as I do have the automatic lift. It's as smooth as if it had not controls attached to it at all.

And: If I had a nickel for every lift support I've been around that has broken... ;) My wife's '06 HHR right now has broken lifts supports on the hood. Past warranty, and I'm being lazy about replacing them. :-\ My sister's Toyota's trunk goes through a set about every 2 years too. First one's went out at only 6 months on her. I just guess this type of device is something they'll never make worth much. Oh well.
Just curious how you open it manually - doesn't the power mechanism automatically actuate once you touch the handle on the liftgate?

·
Registered
635 Posts
mikemu said:
Just curious how you open it manually - doesn't the power mechanism automatically actuate once you touch the handle on the liftgate?
If you have the power lift gate turned off on your dash it works just like the old manual ones. However when you do close it don't slam it as the locking mechanism still will pull the gate shut, one click down is all it takes.

I use the on off switch when ever I go into a movie. The last thing I want is to hit the key fob wrong and come out to an open and empty Acadia. I just hate it when I forget to turn it back on.

faymous said:
I've had the same problem for about a month now. The LH assist strut is leaking oil. I suspect this is why the the door is failing (comes up about normal speed, slows under the weight, then drops about 6+"s then closes). I would like to replace both struts (LH and RH). Does anyone know where I can get them and what the part numbers are??
Why don't you have it done under warranty?

Welcome to the forum! Update your profile so that we know what all you have on your Acadia, that will help get you better answers. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
khansen30 said:
If you have the power lift gate turned off on your dash it works just like the old manual ones. However when you do close it don't slam it as the locking mechanism still will pull the gate shut, one click down is all it takes.

I use the on off switch when ever I go into a movie. The last thing I want is to hit the key fob wrong and come out to an open and empty Acadia. I just hate it when I forget to turn it back on.
Thanks - didn't realize you could do it that way. Good to know.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
faymous said:
I would replace both struts to ensure proper operation. If it's under warranty; your dealer may replace both

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have orderdered the Liftgate stryts through GMGenuineparts.net.

The Part numbers are:

20782756 for the R/H strut and 20782755 for the L/H strut. They are $19.80 and $20.98 respectively. Dealer wanted $26 for each.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
faymous said:
I have orderdered the Liftgate stryts through GMGenuineparts.net.

The Part numbers are:

20782756 for the R/H strut and 20782755 for the L/H strut. They are $19.80 and $20.98 respectively. Dealer wanted $26 for each.
Will you be replacing the struts or taking it to the dealer? If you are doing the work; some action pics of the work would be great for other members

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a power life rear gate, but my struts for the rear gate seem to have went today on my 2009 GMC Acadia. We live on Long Island it is our first day we have had the car where it went below 32 degrees. As soon as we open it just falls down. I'll have to be calling the dealership tomorrow to get them fixed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since it's gotten colder, I've notice my auto liftgate doesn't seem to like it all that much. It functions okay but creaks and groans as it slowly opens up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts