GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a used Acadia but not spend too much money. I'm seeing them on cars.com and ebay for about $12-$16,000 for a used one around 5 years old.

As a new buyer and someone who's NOT a car guy at all... can anyone offer any advice? Such as...

Specific years to stay clear from if any?
Are those prices unrealistic and probably just bad models or ones with accidents?
Should I go for the Danali ?
Whats the maintenance like per year?
Are the parts reasonable if it needs to be fixed?
What are some of your favorite things about them?

I had an ex gf that let me drive one and I fell in love ever since. If you have a post that already answers all these questions , please send me a link :) Thanks!

- Jack

·
Registered
14 Posts

I found this by doing a search for "Is the Acadia good?"

I have a 2008 with 104K miles and love it. Seating for 8, handles great, 20+ mpg highway mileage, lots of room for hauling stuff. If you do find one you like, you must find a good mechanic who is thoroughly knowledgable to work on these vehicles. Issues of concern are the timing chains, transmission, electrical issues. Also check into a good extended warrenty. You must be very diligent on watching the oil and coolant levels and change oil at 3,000 miles using a good Dexos-rated synthetic oil. You will find lots of useful information in this forum. Good luck and let us know if you do buy one.

·
Super Moderator
20,511 Posts
Parts prices are reasonable enough. Labor is a bit lengthy because of where engineers like hiding things, so the work may be a bit costly timewise. If you don't (or can't) DIY, find someone who's qualified to work on the vehicle. Chances are better that the job will be done correctly the first time.

Reactions: Jack L

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I'm looking to get a used Acadia but not spend too much money. I'm seeing them on cars.com and ebay for about $12-$16,000 for a used one around 5 years old.
I would steer away from any 2014-2015 Acadia in the $12k range. Too cheap. Decent ones are in the $15-$18k range.

I would not buy a Denali, not worth the extra money and nothing really special about it.

As Speleos pointed out. Parts are very reasonable, labor to repair, not so much.

If MPG is a concern, they don't get great mileage. I had an '11 and 14-15 mpg was what I averaged around town. Could see around 20 mpg on the highway.

Ask for service records on any that you consider.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have 2013 GMC Acadia what I love about this car is the size I have 3 kids . What I also did I removed one front the passenger seats behinds the driver and have tons of room for camping, store etc I love how 2013 look biggish it’s awesome in winter, I have all season tires no issues but I head few issues at beginning I got it used, transmission is not greatest I was told I need to spend 3k to fix transmission by a dealer but mr transmission Diagnosis the problem and it was 700 dollars it has some electrical issues like dash board would get confused and suddenly be brighter, head to fix windows master switch passenger door does not unlock lock with key fob I mean it’s 2013 something is bound to go wrong like you I don't know crap about cars like nothing but I was able to do my own front and back breaks supper easy I just did spark plug replacement it was fun there is lost info on you tube but over all would I buy it again yes if the transmission was reliable I cant afford to get stuck in middle of nowhere with kids like last time happen 4 times because of transmision But my next car is 4Runner since Acadia transmission shift still my transmission would give me kick now and then just to remind how bad it is lol

(mod edit: vulgarities cleaned ... ... that is all)

Dam such bad grammar

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2009 with a little over 70,000 miles (yes that's true). Bought new. So far all ignition coils have been replaced at lest once, some twice. Replaced motor mounts, ECM, one catalytic converter, under-hood fuse box, purge valve, front struts of course, left side rear window switch. The surprising thing is my year is a bad year for transmission issues and timing chain issues and I haven't experienced those problems.(Hope I didn't jinx myself.) I know a GM tech who suggested long ago to keep oil about a half quart overfull to help with the timing chain issue. So far so good.. Good luck.

·
Registered
666 Posts
No matter what vehicle you look at from any manufacturer, some will have -0- issues and love it, others will have everything go wrong and its a money pit. Best thing you can do is do as much research as you can on a variety of vehicles your considering. The Acadia has a few siblings you can also consider if you want to stay in the GM family. You have the blazer, traverse if you want a smidge more room, Enclave (best seats ever) and if you want to leave the GM family, consider an Explorer Sport. Bigger but that ecoboost is just amazin!

Furthermore, numerous upon numerous owners have complained about the shifters in the Acadia's not going to park even though its physically in park. This means you cannot shut it off. Some have replaced the harness, the shifter, and yet numerous others have had all that done and the problem still persists. The MPG sucks, the electrical glitches are plentiful, and repairs are equal to the class of vehicle its in (meaning about average for a 40-50k vehicle). Its not as cheap as a honda but not as expensive as a Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The shifter "Park" issue is easily repaired IMO if a person is even moderately tool savvy.

The switch that makes the "Park " connection in the shifter is the issue and a $2 to $5 stouter micro switch would do the trick.

I disagree about MPG being an issue. On the new generation 3.6L V6, our 2019 FWD Acadia SLT-1 has a lifetime average of 25.4 MPG for all miles driven so far.
And, we generally get +22 MPG in mixed driving around town and our area while highway driving comes in at +26 MPG to + 28 MPG.
We have hit 31.4 MPG as an all time high at 55 to 60 MPH.

·
Registered
666 Posts
howdy JayTee, been a while since we chatted. It may have to do with the new 9-speed but it looks like the older models got far better than the new versions. FAR better.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
howdy JayTee, been a while since we chatted. It may have to do with the new 9-speed but it looks like the older models got far better than the new versions. FAR better.
Possibly, if you do a lot of stop and go traffic-light city driving that may be an issue, or are you in higher elevation, hills, etc?
Plus, I usually watch the tachometer and hold shift points at 2,200 RPM to 2,400 RPM rather than the 3,000 RPM you mention in the other thread.

Even my 2017 Colorado truck with the 8 speed 8L45 transmission and the same engine as the Acadia gets me about 17 to 18 MPG around town and +25 to +26 MPG on highway trips of 660 miles like I just returned from a bit ago.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I will get some footage of me driving to show my style and share the youtube link. I am far from an aggressive driver and not even at high elevation here. Thankfully I keep a spreadsheet of my fill ups and the times I got over 20 were highway trips, cruise control at 70, flat terrain. The rest are all city. You can also see my fill ups are nowhere near the 19.2 gallon tank capacity. My light came on for every 14 gallon fill up. Highest being 14.923 gallons.

So, to any potential buyer of the '20 Acadia, here is rock solid proof of the MPG I am getting in my front wheel drive SLT with the V6. May I suggest going with an older model. :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hmm .. . others say the older model with the older V6 does not get as good MPG either.
Puzzling. Maybe the +2017 to 2019 with the 6 speed is more economical.
We are getting the same or slightly better MPG than we did with our 2015 Equinox LTZ 3.6L LFX engine and 6L70 transmission.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I sometimes wonder if I should have gone with the turbo 4 and put a tune on it, intercooler, larger pipes and bigger blow off valve. shrug But then the AWD would have been an absolute necessity!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts