GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday morning I start up the Acadia to go to work.. and have that little orange tire light come on.. and th DIC tells me to check right rear tire pressure.

Wow!!! This feature if very cool!!!

So it's only 6lb lower than the others... so I drive it to work. There is a Tire Barn right next door.. so I drop it off and head into work. I assume maybe we picked up a nail or something.. Fast Forward to when I go to pick it up.. I go to pick it up and they tell me that it has a hole in the side wall and that they could not fix the tire.. and that they went ahead and mounted the spare. They show me the hole.. and it's a little pin hole on the side where three seams come together.. where the tread and sidewall come together.. odd place for a hole.. more on that in a min. I tell them that I'll take it to the dealer to see if it might be a defect in the tire. Pop open the liftgate.. and there sits the little "heat sheild" that goes around the spare.. in 3 pieces..

"Oh yeah.. that was broke when we took it off.. must have been hit by a rock or something" I informed him that the vehicle had 900mi and was only 2 wks old. And that I was pretty sure that it wasn't broke when I brought it in. Manager comes over and tells me they'll take care of it... but later find out that there are none of these availabe in the country.. oh yeah and it's $56 to replace.

The tiny spare looks rediculous on the Acadia... that right rear sat lower than the rest of the vehicle. I wouldn't want to drive it very far like this. Should definately have a full size spare on there... it doesn't even look safe. But it drove just fine the 17 mi to the dealer.

I drive like this to the dealer. While I was there.. I went ahead and got the free oil change at 979mi... to get all of that break in metal out of there. They tell me that the tire has a "puncture in it and that there's nothing they can do.. and a new tire will be $240 mounted + balanced".. not to mention exact same tire is $159 from TireBarn.. I asked to see the inside of the tire. "Oh we didn't dismount it".. "Oh.. would you like us to dismount it and inspect it from the inside?" I told them that's what I'd expected. So they get it off and the service manager looks it over.. and can't find any kind of hole in the inside of the tire... so he agrees to put on a new tire at no charge :cheers: and let the GM rep look at it and they'll get back with me.

So in the end... the dealer did take care of me.. and I'll be a repeat customer... but I don't ever want to have to ride on that POS spare again.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Overall I think spares are not what they were in the past, but to reduce overall cost, I suppose it is a good thing.

Your experience with the Tire Barn along with my experiences at Jiffy Lube, Midas, and other places like that, are exactly why I take my cars to the dealer for all work. (If a dealer is not handy, I could see taking them to a full service auto shop that has certified technicians doing the work, but even then I would need to really know about the shop). I just do not want someone that is not a real mechanic touching my cars.

I worked out with my dealer that only one of their mechanics (that I picked after interviewing them in person) ever touches my cars. He does the oil changes, the tire rotations, the repairs... everything. This way, if there ever is an issue, he is the only one (besides myself) that has ever touched the cars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah.. forgot that part. I used to work for the regional VP for Tire Barn. So I told them not to worry about it.. that I'd just call him. So when I did call him.. they'd already told him all about it.. when he'd called them about another matter.. and they thought he was calling because of my issue. :rofl:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Will a full size spare fit where the temporary one does? I haven't looked under there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
A full size spare won't fit. By the way today at work we were talking about funny things people find to complain about in a new car. This has to be pretty close to the funniest thing I've heard. It's a spare it's not supposed to look good, only get you to a tire repair shop. As far as it being shorter it may have been under inflated but I believe it is the same height as the other tires. Also, 95% of cars come with a compact spare unless you have a rear mounted spare.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll take an actual, physical spare compared to what a lot of vehicles are getting these days; spray can of flat fix.

At least you got a new tire. Lame about them breaking the shield and not fessing up. That's why I snap a few quick digital photos of my vehicle before I drop it off for service anywhere I don't trust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A full size spare won't fit. By the way today at work we were talking about funny things people find to complain about in a new car. This has to be pretty close to the funniest thing I've heard. It's a spare it's not supposed to look good, only get you to a tire repair shop. As far as it being shorter it may have been under inflated but I believe it is the same height as the other tires. Also, 95% of cars come with a compact spare unless you have a rear mounted spare.
I was just stating that it looked rediculous.. I was more concerned with the safety of the vehicle w/ the donut on it. This thing is tiny compare to the stock tires. This is why I drove it straight to the dealer. I can't imagine what would happen if we were on a family trip or towing something. I guess I expected something more substantial in a vehicle this size.

As far as the fix a flat goes.. In my manual it says that a can of sealant and an electric pump are supposed to be included.. but then there's a supplement in there that says our vehicles do not come with these pieces. Is this in everyones manual? Or maybe signs of what they'll be going to in the future?

Does anyone know if fix a flat will damage the TPMS sensors? If not.. I'll prolly keep a can in the Acadia so I don't have to use that spare again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe the manual says not to use any sealants with TPMS as it will damage the sensor. Think about it, sealant is liquid and air mixture. Pump it into a flat and the liquid is bound to get all over the sensor, making it useless. At the cost of a replacement sensor I would rather suffer the headache of taking the car to the dealer with the donut on and get a new tire.

I do agree with you that for a family hauler and at the price point I did expect a full size spare. The Nissan Pathfinder comes with one, granted it's a truck based SUV but still, my old Subaru Forester came with a full size spare... related, I hate the fact that you have to store the flat full size in the interior of the car and can't just hoist it into the same space as the spare. This makes a flat during a road trip truely a PITA more than getting a flat already is.

Mike

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If you really cannot put the full size tire up where the donut came from, that is a bummer. It also means you cannot go buy yourself a real tire as a spare. Truly a bummer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may try to integrate a full size spare... and try wrapping the factory exhaust in some hi-temp exhaust wrap. I don't know if the hoist system will hold the weight of the spare or not though. There has to be a better solution out there. I think I'm gonna go crawl underneath today when I wash the Acadia.

·
Registered
130 Posts
kbacon - funny story, I'm glad it worked out for you in the long run. You are a good storyteller. Funny thing happened to me on the way home yesterday. I was going by a schoolbus, and some kid (I presume) through a book out the window. I ran over it before I could react. I continued to hear funny noises under the car for a while, kind of like something breaking apart. Between rushing home to eat, see the kids, late meeting, etc. I forgot to climb underneath to see if there was any damage or anything. I presumed all should be fine - it was just a book. I guess I better be checking my "heat shield" for damage.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I wonder if fitting a full size spare would have changed the design of the rear. Dunno. But given a choice between a large flat-folding storage area and a full size spare, I'd go for the storage.

·
Registered
812 Posts
the spare tire problem was discussed a long time ago by another member also stating the same ridiculous size unmatched for the vehicle and stating the same safety concern.... i look into it when we first bought the car, i would agree with kbacon, it borders on dangerous travelling on it.

If it would be me, ill just press the blue button and never use the spare..... :help:

·
Registered
487 Posts
YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO "TRAVEL" ON IT. It is there to get you to the nearest tire shop. I would rather have a small spare than 500 dollar run flats. I don't think there is enough ground clearance to have a full size spare.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.gmfleet.com/pdf/2009_car_and_truck_guide.pdf

Looks like the SLE will come w/ the "tire sealant" and air pump that I saw listed in my '08 owners manual..with the compact spare and jack as an option.. and the SLT will come w/ the compact spare and jacck.. if I read everything correctly. :confused:

·
Registered
428 Posts
The tire sealant doesnt make much sense as everything I have read with concernt to the TPMS says not to use any type of tire sealant due to damaging the TPMS sensor. I for one would not ever use a tire sealant such as fix-a-flat or any other. I would not buy any vehicle that does not have a spare tire.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I had a flat on my Acadia shortly after getting it. I HATE the temporary spare. It does not fit the vehicle well, and the vehicle does not handle well with it on. I understand that it is only for short distances. Thank heavens that is all I had to go. However, I live in Utah, and several times a year find myself hundreds of miles from anyplace where I could get a tire fixed. I shudder to think what it would be like to have a flat in those places. I have already decided - I will never again buy a vehicle that does not have a full size spare.

Kelly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts