GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadn't seen this topic covered yet, although I may have missed it.

Car is SLE AWD with basic stereo system and no XM radio. Have noticed radio reception cutting in and out during my commute. Thought it was particular station on was on, so I changed stations. Still the same. Thought maybe it was the forestry area I was driving thru, so I drove same route in my wife's Envoy(also drove same route with my past cars). Still the same. Thought it had something to do with the Auto Volume, so I turned it off Still the same.

So what I am getting at is my radio reception is terrible and I don't know if it is just a crappy stereo system in these things or if there are technical problems I should have looked at? I'm planning a trip to the dealer, but wondered if anyone else has experienced the same?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I metioned an FM reception issue on my Enclave over on the Enclave forum. I was told that GM is aware of the issue and they should be issuing a fix for this in the next month or so.

G

·
I brought up my poor reception in another thread. I brought my Acadia in for service for several items, the radio reception being one of them. Nothing was fixed. I argued over the radio reception with the tech who told me the station that the radio was currently set on sounded fine. I asked if he changed any of the stations or listened while he was driving, as the stations will fade and get static, he didn't answer. I later get a call from the service writer that they can only imagine the coax cable is bad and they ordered one. Imgntht, is your Onstar reception affected also? I used the Onstar several times to play around with the turn by turn navigation. On one occasion, the person I was talking to was so distorted I could not understand her. When the turn by turn was downloaded the volume was so low each time I tried it (even when I turned the radio volume to the max) that the directions are useless. When I mentioned the Onstar problem to the dealer and that I thought they were all related to the poor radio reception, I was told there is nothing wrong with the Onstar. I'm not happy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MomsTaxi: I have not had the need to use the Onstar Turn-by-Turn yet. I've used the Onstar to register the vehicle information but was sitting in my driveway at the time and did not drive anywhere. It did come thru crystal clear though.

You'll have to let us know if the Coax cable is the correction. Othwerwise I will be curious as to what the so-called fix is as mentioned by zman.

G

·
I'm curious to know what GM is working on also. My dealer did not mention that GM is working on a fix. I will let you know what happens when they install the new cable.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here was Acadia7's response to my posting in the Enclave forum:

We are working a recalibration to try to address radio reception. As soon as it's confirmed, and info is out to the dealers, I'll post here...expect within the month.

I'll let you all know when he posts that the update is available.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Glad to help. It's nice finally owning one of the Lambda's and being helpful rather than just inquisitive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too have noticed poor radio reception. I have the Outlook XR AWD with standard radio (no nav, no advanced audio). The model we test drove (Outlook XE w/advanced audio) got a lot better reception than the one we bought. I have noticed that both our 98 expedition and 94 Z71 K1500 have no reception issues in the areas the Outlook fumbles. I'm very eager to have a fix applied as well and look forward to a TSB.

tyson

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just at the dealer to report poor radio reception on my Acadia with the standard radio. They told me it's working as designed. The radio has FM multipath which is designed to lower the volume if a signal is weak. This is in the city, where my Envoy works just fine. The Acadia seems to fail on all radio stations fairly often. I have the speed volume adjust turned off. Thanks for the info on the fix. I''ll inquire about it, or a new radio that works.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'll admit that I haven't even tried the FM or AM reception in our Acadia, but is anyone having trouble with XM reception? This is my first experience with satellite radio and it sure seems to go in and out a lot. All of our driving has been in the NYC Metro area and I've never had trouble with radio reception before and wasn't expecting it with XM either.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had posted my FM reception issue before I drove the vehicle that much. I am thinking that our XM reception is also less than stellar. My guess is that all bands are affected by whatever this issue is.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My radio works fine, but XM gets fuzzy when I get near my garage door. I am wondering if the the opener is causing the problem. If the door is shut, radio is fine. If the door is opened or opening, fuzzy. That is parked in the exact same place. I could be totally crazy... :crazy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Radio reception can be a funny thing.

The thing with XM is you either need a clear view to the southern sky and/or be in an area with sufficient terrestrial repeater coverage. It's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
492 Posts
mr weather said:
Radio reception can be a funny thing.

The thing with XM is you either need a clear view to the southern sky and/or be in an area with sufficient terrestrial repeater coverage. It's just the nature of the beast.
Correct.
XM needs to see the Sats. A metal garage door over the antenna will interfere with the signal. Large trees with full leaves can block the signal. Tall buildings can block the signal. XM has a large network of ground repeaters that cover many large city's that can help transmit the signal in areas that need help with obstructions like buildings.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I was on my way home from work today and decided to throw on a CD. The sound of the CD is 100% better than what the standard FM channels put out. No fuzziness and the sound level is much higher. I've listened to CDs in the car before and noticed this, but never thought much of it until today for some reason. So why would the radio be sooo much quieter than the CD output? On top of that the bass hit harder, and the highs were more sharp. I even felt the front door speakers vibrating by my leg!! Don't get that with the radio...

Even more crazy is that when I was troubleshooting it, I find that my AutoVolume works when in CD mode, but not when I am listening to the radio.

So what does this narrow the issue down to? Bad Attenna or still just crappy radio?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Only disappointing thing about this car. The FM reception is intollerable. Sound fades in and out even when at a stand still. Add that to XM which seems to go as soon as you get among some trees (lotsa those here in the NW) and this radio sucks. Thank heaven for AM talk and MOP3s.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Keith said:
Only disappointing thing about this car. The FM reception is intolerable. Sound fades in and out even when at a stand still. Add that to XM which seems to go as soon as you get among some trees (lotsa those here in the NW) and this radio sucks. Thank heaven for AM talk and MOP3s.
I noticed that my XM reception actually got worse after I renewed the subscription. Also it just changes to FM or AM at random.

Also, although the Bose system is nice, it certainly does not sound as good as others I have heard. The tweeters are almost undetectable as is the overall separation of the channel's. To really get the system to sound decent you need to put almost all the sound in the back seat, and then my three year old gets blown away. It's almost as if its not even stereophonic. The whole system sounds flat. I wonder if there is a broader issue that effects the whole system? NAV XM FM and the overall sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts