• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted before about my terrible radio reception. My Onstar seems to be affected also. The connection to Onstar does not come in clear and it is difficult to understand what the person is saying. In addition, the few times I've tried the turn by turn, the downloaded directions are so low in volume that you have to struggle to hear them (even with the radio volume turned all the way up). This is my first vehicle with Onstar so I have nothing else to compare it to. I can't imagine it's supposed to be like that. Anyone else have the same problem with the Onstar?

·
Registered
752 Posts
My Onstar comes in very loud and clear. Is it radio reception that is bad, or is it the volume that is the problem. Try a CD and see what the volume does.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Radio reception and Onstar reception are terrible. Radio volume is fine, only the volume on the downloaded turn by turn directions is bad. Telephone in the Acadia is not clear either. CDs and Ipod sound great. My service department has no clue. I was told by the tech that he found nothing wrong (he listened to the station the radio happened to be set on as he thought it was the one I liked). He did not listen to any other stations nor drive the Acadia to listen to the fading as you drive ) After I argued with the tech, service decided to order a coax cable as they think it's the only thing that could be the problem. I'm leery about letting the service department take apart my Acadia to install the cable when they are not sure what's wrong. By the way it's over 2 weeks since they ordered the cable and I brought my Acadia in and I have not yet heard from the dealer. I know there are others with the radio problem and I hope GM comes up with a fix soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have this same issue (and some others noted in the threads referenced below, and am curious if you have those issues noted as well).

I was told the radio head unit needed replacing (had a loose ground, electronic noise filter, or was just defective), and I've been waiting for weeks for the part to come in. Its seems specific to the Bose up-level system with CD changer . I'm hoping this will fix it...but my concern is that it's more due to the wiring (someone told me there are over a hundred possible wiring configurations depending on what combination of NAV/DVD/Head Unit/HUD/Speakers you have, and each component has its own power and impedence requirements that may not match well with the others. This is really my only complaint with the vehicle - its OBVIOUS that there is something wrong, especially with the Onstar voice/cellular quality...I'm surprised it passed quality control like this.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=557.0

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=849.0

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=257.msg3157#msg3157

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=713.0

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't noticed the engine whine or hum through the speakers. (yet?) Just horrible FM reception and terrible Onstar / telephone sound. I'm not thrilled with the dealer ripping apart my Acadia to change the coax cable, especially since they don't know if that will fix the problem. Spoke to the service advisor just now to find out if there is any bulletin or a fix in the works for the radio problem. He said he will call let me know later. The cable is still on order (waiting over 2 weeks).

PS: I have the 6 CD changer radio.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I also have FM reception problems in my SLE with base radio (non Bose) and XM. Some stations are pretty weak. In an effort to improve it, I bought and installed an HD Radio. It uses the same antenna and in analog mode is also pretty weak (HD broadcasts are digital and not affected by a weak signal the same way). Based on this, I think the problem is in the antenna or wiring and not the radio itself. I'll bring it up with the dealer when I bring the car in for the first service.

Also, I tried the turn by turn yesterday and found it too quiet. I called on-star and asked how to fix it. Turning up the volume while it is speaking directions just turns up the radio. To increase the volume of the the directions, call on-star and turn up the volume all the way while speaking to them. This will also set the volume for the directions to the maximum. They are still a little hard to hear when the radio is on but much louder than they were before.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Added poll...

Adam

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks like there are multiple threads on the same issue. I posted the below on the other one:

Hi - sorry I have been out of touch. I took the vehicle in yesterday. The service manager indicated it took a long time to get the new radio as it had been redesigned to address this issue, and that he had already successfully replaced four of them (according to him, all 6-CD changer units, which according to my service records are A/C Delco (the speakers are Bose).

Unfortunately, while he assured me he had the redesigned unit, he told me after he put it in and had the same issue that he realized that GM had sent him the old unit, so he has to re-order the upgraded part, which should be in by the end of the week. I'm not sure I buy his story, as the "new" radio still has all my same presets. I think he was trying to cover his tracks as I had made the appointment a week in advance and had asked him to call me before I brought the vehicle in if the part did not arrive. I'm guessing it didn't and he forgot to call me and didn't realize until I showed up.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post once I get the service done...but according to him there is a redesigned unit out there. I saw a flyer recently that showed the Saturn Outlook service bulletins. This was not on it, but I think the radio is specific to the Acadia...anyone have access to those bulletins?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jrocco001: Two days ago, I noticed through the speakers (with the radio off) a loud static buzz when I start the Acadia. I was wondering if this happened to you as you seem to have the same problems as I do. My service advisor finally called me back and told me that "GM is unaware of any problems with their radios". Your dealer seems to at least be aware of the issue. My service department hasn't a clue and makes no effort to fix anything. Also, I tried my Onstar again twice. The connection was so bad that I could not understand the person and before the call was finished, I got disconnected. I pushed the Onstar again, never got connected. All I got was Onstar call ended. As far as I'm concerned, at this point the Onstar is useless. Now I remember why I have not purchased a GM vehicle in years.

Please post when you have any additional info on the radio/Onstar fix.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everyone,

This is not an OnStar issue, it is a radio issue, I recommend you all taking the vehicle back to service to see what is going on. OnStar is integrated into the radio that is why some are having the issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I called my dealer today and they were not aware of customers with radio issues. Sure would like to know why I hear a static sound when using OnStar or the phone. Plan to take it to the service department in the next week to investigate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MomsTaxi said:
jrocco001: Two days ago, I noticed through the speakers (with the radio off) a loud static buzz when I start the Acadia. I was wondering if this happened to you as you seem to have the same problems as I do....
Please post when you have any additional info on the radio/Onstar fix.
Hi,

I will certainly keep you up-to-date. Luckily I have a good salesman (who is responsible for the "quality customer experience" at his dealership). He's put additional pressure on the service department, and I've been assured it will be fixed next week with a redesigned radio. (And yes, I do get the static buzz...its more like a hiss, and not too loud. As I understand it, all vehicle sounds such as the door chimes and turn signals are piped through the radio, hence you hear it when opening the door/starting, etc.) It is annoying...but if that was the only issue I would have chosen to live with it as I'm not fond of having the dash opened up to replace the radio. But I also have the Onstar issue and get some engine whine played through the speakers that scales in pitch with RPMs.

You may want to contact your salesperson or the dealership manager directly, and if that fails, GM Customer Service. I originally got some pushback when I complained about the hiss, but demonstrating Onstar clearly illustrated the issue (that aspect of it is undeniable). My service manager confirmed what Boltbacker noted - its a radio issue thats causing all the symptoms, and there is now a redesigned unit (at least according to him he can tell by a revision number on the part if its going to fix it). However, I have not seen a formal issue noted in any service bulletins.

·
Registered
395 Posts
jrocco001 said:
I'm not fond of having the dash opened up to replace the radio. But I also have the Onstar issue and get some engine whine played through the speakers that scales in pitch with RPMs.
As someone who has taken out the radio several times now for various upgrades, I assure you getting it out is no big deal. The dash comes apart by popping off the trim. It comes off with no tools (once you get an edge up) and the radio is held in with 4 bolts. Having done it a few times, I could probably do it in less than a minute now. I wouldn't worry about dash damage as a reason not to get the radio fixed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thats good info - thanks. The dealer told me it would take him a full day to get it out. That was a few weeks ago before he had worked on any. Hopefully he'll concur when I bring it in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anyone have an update on this issue? jrocco001 - Has your Acadia been fixed?

I do not have the turn signal issue, but I get a clear static feedback when using OnStar. Service department agrees and they want to investigate since this is the first Acadia they have seen with this issue. I have the 6 CD Bose radio.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got it back today...no beans.

At this point, I am very frustrated - the first time I brought it in the service advsor diagnosed it but did not have the part (understandable).

The second time, after I called him to confirm he had the revised part, he told me he did, so I dropped it off. He told me he swapped it that day, but the "new" radio had the same presets and one of my CDs that I had forgotten was in it. He backtracked on that story when I told him this and told me he realized after I dropped it off that he had the wrong radio version, hence did not do the swap after all. Both visits cost a day of PTO time each, and the second was entirely unnecessary.

Over the past few weeks, I've called this service advisor several times to follow-up, as he was not calling me. Twice he told me he had ordered the part but did not have an ETA. Once he told me he had a firm date and when I called him that day he told me it would be another week. After another two weeks of no follow-up, I finally escalated to the general manager, who confirmed with him they had the new unit and scheduled an appointment. The service manager had also told the GM he had been contacting me and leaving me messages, which is bull.

It looks like it the radio had been swapped, but the issue is still there (if not worse), even though he verbally confirmed with me on the phone that it had been fixed and he listened to it himself.

At this point, I had no faith in the service advisor, I sought out my salesman, who has been very helpful. After listening to it, he agreed there was an issue, and gave me the opportunity to compare it against three other Acadias on the lot. Only the one with the Bose 6 CD unit had the same issue - the base model and the DVD model were nice an quiet - no Onstar issue, no turn signal hum/buzz, no engine noise coming through the speakers, etc.

He took me back to service and the service advisor verbally confirmed it was a known issue with a known fix, and he had installed the revised unit. However, he could not provide any documentation on the part to demonstrate that it was the revised unit, other than note that the parts distributor ("Tech line" or something similar) had told him it was.

So, I called GMC Customer service. They are looking into it now. The phone rep could not tell me anything other than it's not a TSB or known recall. She indicated they have some way to check with the dealership network the frequency of the complaint and if common escalate it to the product engineers, but first wants me to take it in to another dealer to get a second opinion on it. So, thats scheduled for Friday, 6/15. To be honest, I should have brought it to this dealer first - I did not buy the Acadia from them, but did purchase my first car there, and their service dept has always been top notch.

She also escalated a formal complaint against my dealer given the issues with the service department (which is a shame, b/c the actual purchase went very nicely with little pressure). So...long story...its not fixed, and I don't have any better info as to how it can be fixed at this point. I'll keep posting as this progresses, but would certainly like to hear any new info.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
It is painful just to hear your experience. The service advisor sounds shady.

This doesn't make sense. You state below that the 'service advisor verbally confirmed it was a known issue with a known fix'. Yet, GM customer service 'could not tell me anything other than it's not a TSB or known recall'

If it is not a known TSB or recall, how is the service advisor confirming it is a known issue? What is this 'new' radio?

My dealer is aware of the issue. They checked other Acadias on the lot and I think they were all nav Acadias. Not the 6 CD Bose system.

My dealer wants to keep my Acadia a couple days so they can investigate with GM tech support (?) to troubleshoot. They do not know of a 'known fix' and they are a large, reputable dealership with a good service department.

Let us know what the second dealer says on 6/15.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Will do. 

It probably did not come across clear - I was trying to say that his "known fix" was based on what he was told by the regional parts distributor, who told him in a conversation that new radios were hard to come by as the issue was common, and GM had released a new revision number to address it.  He also told me he had replaced several with success, which I now take with a grain of salt after today's experience (he thinks he "fixed" it even though he acknowledges the issue is still there.

Not exactly "official info"..but I was not aware of the flavor of what he was telling me until today when I pushed him for details  I had assumed based on what he told be earlier GM was aware of it....and maybe they are, but according to the customer service rep if its not on a TSB (and not everything is), she does not know about it.

It will be interesting to see if the 2008s have the same issue.  The unit on the lot that I noted that had the same issue was delivered in early April, according to my salesman.  He did not have a late '07 with that head unit for me to look at.

Just to clarify...are you saying the NAV Acadias on his lot had the same issue? As far as I could tell locally, they did not.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No, the nav Acadias they had did not have the issue. Mine was the only one they saw. Mine is a late 07. I think it was built the first week of May.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts