GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our 2008 GMC Acadia now for 2 months, and loving every mile of it. Yesterday, the car notified my wife that she had a flat. I told her no big deal, and we proceeded to put the spare on the car. After digging out the jack, and locating the proper positioning for it, I realized that the the jack handle (lug wrench) is in an L shape, and the jack nut is about 2 inches off the pavement. This means you have to put the wrench on, turn it 180 degrees, take it off, and repeat. Ouch!! Took me about 10 minutes just to jack the car up this way!! The lug wrench has a handy metal bar that swivels out, but this is worthless because it doesn't affect the L shape which is why you can't turn it around and around.

Every other car that I've owned, has a Z shaped tool that fits into the jack that allows you to crank the vehicle up easily. Okay, as I type this, I'm wondering if there is another piece to the puzzle I'm missing. Is there yet another piece of the jack I didn't see, or am I doing it wrong?

By the way, a new tire for this car costs about $220!! Whew!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wife's Mazda is similar. Really fun changing a tire on the side of the freeway in the dark at a 1/8 inch per turn pace. Havent had to try the Acadia yet. Getting to the spare looks daunting as well.

Ya, I know the tires are crazy expensive. Supposed to be 70K mile tires though. Hopefully the prices will come down gy the time I need to change all 4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spare wasn't too bad, though I had to remove the handy storage bin and stick that in the passenger seat. You crank the bolt until the spare lands on the ground, and then it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how the tire comes off the cable hook... I was actually pleasantly surprised to discover that there was a clear plastic bag for the flat tire, so you could keep the back of your car clean when transporting it. They thought of everything! Well, everything except the jack design, of course! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
One word:

ONSTAR.

That's what I'm paying them for!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep, I know the pain of changing a tire on the Lambda-10:00 o'clock at night, in the rain no less.
At 47 miles the TPMS indicates a low reading from the rear passenger side tire. I pull over, walk to the rear and hear the hissing sound of escaping air. :eek:hno:
It's definitely a pain to use the jack. I hadn't had the chance to give it a dry run or put real tools into the cargo storage area. So my wife and I consulted the manual and figured out the Mensa-grade securing system for the spare. (The spare tire is pathetically small.)

Luckily we had a Goodyear Tire Center around the corner open on a Sunday and the tire could be patched.

The one good outcome was that we were able to score the elusive Wii from a nearby Toys'R Us. :thumb:

The 19"s are $103-119 on Tire rack.

·
Registered
812 Posts
based on what im reading it seems that we owners will be force to carry a replacement jack together with the portable battery jumper as a must have aftermarket accessories..... :help: i

ts a conspiracy to sell On Star!!!! ;D :help:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Seriously,

I would love to see a list of vehicle jacks that DIDN'T blow...

I gave up on the vehicle jack back in early 90's. It is POSSIBLE to have the jack work. The question is whether or not it's worth proving. And that applies to every car jack I know (which can be counted on both hands...).

No one buys a car based on the supplied jack so no car manufacturer has ANY incentive for producing/providing a product worth raving about.

Take top of the line cars. I'd laugh if BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc had a jack worth talking about. They probably don't even supply one since the owners probably already have insurance coverage for someone to come with a QUALITY jack to do it for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts