GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i must first say that i LOVE my acadia. i have been an owner since January.
HOWEVER...i am carefully tracking the gas mileage and am getting only 14.5 on average. I am very disappointed in this and was expecting more...this is one of the reasons that i was excited to get into the acadia...the promise of better mileage 18/26. Anyone experiencing similar problems? i have an appt wih the dealership today.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't drive it, but my wife says that she is on her 3rd tank after only about 650 miles of driving.

I will check the DIC today and post the avg mileage

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Check your MPH as well. I am getting 14.1, but I am averaging 20.4 MPH. My kids (and I) have been sitting in the car playing with it and it has been idling ALOT!!! I am about on my third tank of gas and I have about 450 miles. I hope that once my MPH goes up, so will my MPG!!

I do have to admit, I have not reset my average because I want to see if all the highway driving I do will eventually even out! :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
tuppergirl said:
i must first say that i LOVE my acadia. i have been an owner since January.
HOWEVER...i am carefully tracking the gas mileage and am getting only 14.5 on average. I am very disappointed in this and was expecting more...this is one of the reasons that i was excited to get into the acadia...the promise of better mileage 18/26. Anyone experiencing similar problems? i have an appt wih the dealership today.
Tuppergirl,
I think we are all a little disappointed we are not getting those super MPG figures on the window sticker.

BUT it will get better mileage if we want to. That would require driving with a very light foot, taking a mile to get up to speed limit, and basically driving like granny. I've done it and seen better mileage. It's hard to drive like that thou. Got places to go and places to be.

Longer highway trips will show much better milage but the foot controls that as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The gov't also redefined what their averages are...lower of course. For me however, it's still better than my 99 Yukon! :blob: Don't get too hung up on it until you get a few thousand miles in.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I've got over 4,200 miles on my Acadia (since 3/3) and I've been fairly pleased with the MPG I've been getting. I get around 18 or 19mpg just driving around town and to/from train station during the week. On road trips, I've seen as great as 24mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
My numbers match Web Raven's almost exactly. We're getting about 18.6 mpg with probably 80% city driving (28.9MPH avg) but have also gotten a little over 23mpg in mostly highway (and DC beltway) driving. I suspect that will drop a bit now that the sun is coming out and we'll start having to use the AC more.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Overall it is ~20mpg for 730miles (36.9 gal used). On the 400 mile road trip we just took, we got 24.5mpg during travel time, and that was not all highway, some was windy 2 lane and going through small towns.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I guess living in a rural area with little or no traffic signals is a big plus for me in regards to MPG's. I have been getting consistent high 19's and low 20's. I also have over 1800 miles on the odometer. I would suggest that people reset their fuel consumption on the DIC after their next fill up and see if the mileage average improves.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i reset mine with each fillup and the best that i've done is 17.1, most of the tanks are getting about 16.5. i have about 2,000 miles on mine.

one more thing, i would not go by your dic for this calculation. do the calculation with your actual miles and actual gallons required to fill up the tank. my dic is not accurate on fuel used, thus the average economy calculation is also wrong.

·
Registered
492 Posts
texas123 said:
i reset mine with each fillup and the best that i've done is 17.1, most of the tanks are getting about 16.5. i have about 2,000 miles on mine.

one more thing, i would not go by your dic for this calculation. do the calculation with your actual miles and actual gallons required to fill up the tank. my dic is not accurate on fuel used, thus the average economy calculation is also wrong.
I have also found the DIC to be about 1gal less used/ 1mpg on the high side that pen & paper calcs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Racefla said:
texas123 said:

I have also found the DIC to be about 1gal less used/ 1mpg on the high side that pen & paper calcs.
Help me think this through, but shouldn't the DIC be as accurate as pen & paper using the fillup method? Unless you filled up the exact amount of gas more than once there is a chance that you would be using different values on different fillups. Since there is no way of telling exactly how much gas is left in the tank, and you never start with a completely dry tank, you could never get an exact mileage because you could use more or less without knowing it. This could be as much as a gallon if you started with some in the tank. If it were way off it would be different, but 1 or 2 mpg seems like its in the margin of error either way. The DIC "overlord" would be calculating off the engine so it would be showing your actual usage.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
You fill up you tank until it shuts itself off (don't top it off). Then reset your trip-odometer. Then when you've used most of a tank, go back and fill it up again until it shuts off automatically (again don't top it off), now read your gas receipt to see exactly how much fuel you used (since the amount in the tank between fills should be identical) and divide by the number of miles on your odometer.

That will give you about as accurate reading as you can get

Reactions: Fusionlore

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have aclose to 800 miles on mine and the first two tank fulls were around 17 much of the driving has been city, lately it has climbed to 18.4 with same person driving and same city driving. I have not been on a road trip yet will see what happens. I know on my truck it did not get very good mileage until around 3000 miles i think the computer has it running rich for a while to help with cooling and break in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the imput and help
i took the acadia to the dealership yesterday to have them look into it hoping that "magically" they would find a simple solution to help me achieve 26 mpg (lol)
they found nothing (shocker :eek:) and suggested taking it to a different gas station to see if that makes a difference because of the ethanol percentages.
i am doing pencil and paper calculations...14.5 is my consistant average per tank so far and i have 3500 miles.
my total highway road trip gave me the best mileage(of course) ...but only 18 mpg...booooo

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
There was a story on Motorweek talking about a book called "365 Ways to Save Gas" - here's a transcript of the report: http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/fyi.shtml
(btw, the Acadia was shown in one scene of this report)

You can also buy the book on Amazon for about $9 shipped - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0756627346/ref=dp_olp_1/104-5808408-6791951

Keep in mind that no car really gets its EPA rated gas mileage in normal driving conditions. But if it's rated at 26 and another is rated at 22, you can be sure that, under similar driving conditions, the 26MPG car should do better.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
tuppergirl said:
my total highway road trip gave me the best mileage(of course) ...but only 18 mpg...booooo
That's crazy that even a road trip only gave you 18mpg. AWD or FWD?

I don't stick to any particular gas station when filling up. I just go with whatever is the cheapest. I don't notice that the mpg is any different depending on what brand gasoline I choose.

·
Registered
492 Posts
18mpg is not right. It should do better than that on a flat highway trip w/o any stops.

One way to test it:
On the next trip, If you have the DIC, put the cruise on a steady speed (limit of course), and zero out the dic mpg.

The milage should come down to the high to mid 20's in a few miles.

If not something is not right.

I sometimes zero out to see what mpg I am getting at that "time" of a tank of gas. (usually after killing the mpg around towm)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dont have mine yet. Am hoping to get around 20 Avg as that is what I get now. Seeing some posters saying 14 and 15 MPG made me nervous. Thought maybe the more practical answer is to get a minivan instead. Checked the minivans and they are all rated about 17 City and 25 Highway. So, I guess they would be about the same as the Acadia anyway. What are ya going to do. Guess I will have to stop reproducing so I can fit my family in a Scion.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ours has improved since the when we first got it. The last 3 weeks, we have averaged 17.5 in all city driving. AWD SLT-2....

1 - 20 of 339 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.