GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I changed the oil and filter today. Needless to say every new car that I have ever had the first oil change is a royal pain. In that the oil filter is on so tight that I have to destroy it to get it off.

Now the real reason for this thread, when will they wise up and put the oil filter in an easy to reach area along with how the oil drains out of that area? Nothing like oil running down all over the engine mount and not where one would think it would go. Good thing for cardboard. Just getting off the road and pulling it up on the ramps that area around the filter with the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter right there it sure is hot. I guess it is easier than some other vehicles, but still this was a new design. Oh well I guess it could be worse.

·
Registered
812 Posts
its a conspiracy!!!! :blob: they're doing it on purpose to discourage do-it-yourself car buff like us from being independent and rely to dealerships to bleed us of our money just to have an oil changed...... ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will have to changed my oil soon. What is the best way to get to the filter, from the top or bottom? Also what did you use to get it off? Do you have one of those metal caps that fit over the end of the filter? It sounds like the first change is a real bear.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Desertfox said:
I will have to changed my oil soon. What is the best way to get to the filter, from the top or bottom? Also what did you use to get it off? Do you have one of those metal caps that fit over the end of the filter? It sounds like the first change is a real bear.
For my Enclave I removed the filter from the top and I did indeed use a metal cap filter tool to remove it. With that it was a piece of cake, but I would recommend letting it cool down awhile or wear long sleeves and gloves because that area is **** hot.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to get to the filter from the top. Yes that area is super hot right after a 20 mile drive from town. The oil came out like water and it only had 500 miles on it. It was the break in oil from the factory fill. I didn't have the end metal cap filter wrench and used a strap wrench I had, I really dented up the filter trying to get it off. I recommend letting it cool unless you like to get burned. Also where you think the oil is going to drain out the bottom isn't that area. Mine drained out more directly under the oil pan and not in front of the oil pan like I thought.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Uh, this has been one of the easiest cars to change the oil in in my entire life. I have been changing oil in many many vehicles for all of my family members and this Acadia is by far the easiest. I don't understand your. You sound like a real whiner. You are clearly wrong on this one. I can change the oil in this car in like 10 minutes with no mess.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The easiest vehicle I have changed oil on is my 02 Silverado. The filter is right there next to the oil plug and points straight down so the oil goes straight down into the pan, no mess no fuss. Doesn't get any easier than that. My parents LeSabre is the same way, oil plug and filter right next to each other, great design and no mess on a front wheel drive vehicle. Don't get me wrong the Acadia isn't that bad but with todays technology you would think they could design a user friendly set up in that area since it is one that is visited on a scheduled basis. Granted the average individual takes their vehicle to have the oil changed so it isn't an issue. So I guess in the real world, your right, I'm a big whiner.

Can you explain how you don't have a mess changing out the filter? How do you keep the oil from covering the front engine mount and bottom of the engine? That is what I like about forums, you get good ideas from others and I'll be the first to ask for a better way of doing something.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Rat407 said:
Can you explain how you don't have a mess changing out the filter? How do you keep the oil from covering the front engine mount and bottom of the engine? That is what I like about forums, you get good ideas from others and I'll be the first to ask for a better way of doing something.
I agree that our Enclave is not difficult, but as you state it is by no means the easiest I have encountered, mostly due to the filter issue you mentioned. When I changed the oil in the Enclave I had it on ramps so maybe that changed some of the geometry somewhat. The oil out of our filter seemed to have a preferred path through the underbody cladding, as though the cladding were designed to take the oil filter change into account. I had very little to wipe up. The only issue became where to put the basin to catch the oil since it was not entirely clear where it was going to drain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree. Oil draining from the filter was not considered in the engineering of the motor. It drains all over the front undercarriage. Oh well, I just wipe it up. I would be open to intelligent recommendations to avoid the mess besides taking it to the dealer for oil changes. I am a DIY'er.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think the problem is that the car companies use the same drivetrains in several different vehicle platforms. What might be easy to access in one could be tight and restricted in another.

·
Registered
659 Posts
big bear craig said:
I think the problem is that the car companies use the same drivetrains in several different vehicle platforms. What might be easy to access in one could be tight and restricted in another.
Exactly, the reality is that this engine was not designed specifically for this vehicle. The drain was deemed usable enough in its standard location that the additional cost of designing and producing a custom oil pan specifically for this vehicle was not considered.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Take a look at some of the foreign car makers engines. I believe their engineers think of things like this. I recall seeing a toyota camry with the oil filter on the top of the engine that was no further a reach than checking the oil itself.

·
Registered
956 Posts
JasonM said:
Take a look at some of the foreign car makers engines. I believe their engineers think of things like this. I recall seeing a toyota camry with the oil filter on the top of the engine that was no further a reach than checking the oil itself.
I have a Toyota and it's design is worse than the Acadia's. It just depends on the model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I work for Toyota. See where they are on the Tacoma's? It's already upside down so the oil is drained and there is a oil catcher to so residual oil doesn't drip everywhere.

That's why the Acadia is for my Wife....JK.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Cadillac CTS has the exact same LY7 engine (3.6L vvt) as the Acadia, but the CTS oil filter is a simple cartridge that sits in a container on top of the engine. So you just unscrew the lid and pull out the filter completely drained (never a drip of oil gets on the car or the floor).
I thought the Acadia would have the same setup since its the same engine.
One of the reasons I bought the Acadia was that the LY7 engine in my CTS is a fantastic engine and has worked flawless for 4 1/2 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brought my Outlook in to the Saturn dealer for an oil change today. The service writers were grumbling about the oil filter location...they said the filter is located right between the exhaust manifold and the A/C compressor, both of which can get very hot. They use heat resistant gloves to change the filters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts