• October 07

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • November 07

• December 07

• January 08

• No issue...YET (crossing my fingers and toes)

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been told the engine "heads" were bad on their '08? The dealership just replace my entire engine @ 1000 miles because of this. The service Stabilitrak, Traction Control, and Engine light all came on. The next day it would not start. it was in the shop and they said said it had "several codes" and they're waiting to hear back from GMC. They called back and said they decided it would be easier and quicker to replace the entire engine!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Re: New engine @ 1000 miles!

I had not heard about this one. Hope that doesn't become a common problem. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts

2008 Acadia SLT had engine light come on at 1200 miles and again at 1500 miles after replacing cam sensor at 1200. Problem was diagnosed as bad cams (too short). Cams and head gasket replaced after car in shop for 5 weeks waiting on parts. At least 2 other Acadias in same shop with the same problem. Have driven about 200 miles since repair and no problems yet. This appears to be GM supplier problem for an unknown production run. I thought a new engine would be a better option but the dealer wanted to fix this one.

·
Registered
812 Posts

I hope this are isolated cases, but it still gives me the chills as i have an 08 model too.... could be just bad production batches from the supplier?.... but still GM advertise this engine as "state of the art", i see no reason for them to be replaced too early let alone experience this type of problem in the early stages of its life.... i read a post here once by a member claiming he works on one of the engine suppliers that they are building engines to the maximum output of their factory to meet GM demands..... As we all know, with more than 7000 Acadias alone being sold per month, factor in the numbers and you can expect some "mishaps" will happen.

Isnt it true that there are more than 2 engine suppliers for all the Lambdas?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

SioXie said:
I hope this are isolated cases, but it still gives me the chills as i have an 08 model too.... could be just bad production batches from the supplier?.... but still GM advertise this engine as "state of the art", i see no reason for them to be replaced too early let alone experience this type of problem in the early stages of its life.... i read a post here once by a member claiming he works on one of the engine suppliers that they are building engines to the maximum output of their factory to meet GM demands..... As we all know, with more than 7000 Acadias alone being sold per month, factor in the numbers and you can expect some "mishaps" will happen.

Isnt it true that there are more than 2 engine suppliers for all the Lambdas?
Not really sure who the individual part suppliers are, but the engines are assembled at 3 different plants:
St. Catharines, Ontario
Flint (Michigan) Engine South and
Melbourne, Australia (likely just for Holden vehicles)

There aren't any TSBs listed for this issue but if it is just now showing up there may be something later on. This engine has been produced since 2004 without any significant issues, so it isn't a design problem. Like SioXie and acadia08pb wrote, it could be a flawed batch from a particular supplier. Bock, when was your Acadia built?

·
Registered
1 Posts

At 500 miles (Nov. '07) our Check Engine Light came on, and the problem was determined to be incorrectly machined camshafts. We got a new engine without having to ask for one. The Acadia was in the shop for four and a half days. We were told that GM was aware of this problem, but wasn't sure at that time how many vehicles were affected.

·
Registered
956 Posts

Every auto manufacture has to do this occasionally. A bad batch of parts or some other problem will occur where the engine will have to be replaced. I would rather have a whole new engine than one repaired at the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts

My check engine light came on around 1000 miles. Not sure exactly because they have had my car for 17 days. It started off by being the cam sensor which the dealer said was a "minor Problem". Two days later I called the dealer and he stated should be ready the next day. Called the next day and they stated that they had to change out 1 head and they did not know how long that would take. I called 2 days later and the dealer stated it needed two cams replaced. I was furious and stated I did not want that car back because I have heard major problems happen with GM vehicles when they try to fix problems this new. I am still waiting to hear from the district service manager (which I have asked him to call me for 7 days now) so he can tell me how we are going to proceed. As of now, I am very agrivated and do not know what to do. The dealer stated it may be 3 weeks before we get this settled. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I've been having the same issue - check engine light is the first warning. Started out, the dealership replaced the entire ignition switch/module. That was at 500 miles. Now at 1100 miles, they've gone to GM engineering tech support and were told to replace the head and camshafts on one bank only. Questions - why do some dealerships actually do the head/cam replacement while other just replace the entire engine for the same problem? Why is this only affecting one bank? Are the cam designs and heads completely different on the left and right sides?

·
Registered
207 Posts

What time frame and if you know what plant did your engine come from? This seems like it is happening on <1500 miles?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Rod S - Don't know where the engine was manufactured - how can I find that piece of information out? Dealership also said that the GM Engineering Tech said cold weather makes this problem worse... Parts are all on back-order, and the dealer does not know when they will be delivered. GM says the vehicle is fine to drive, but will need this fixed as soon as the parts are in. When parts go on back-order, it generally means a number of folks are experiencing this same problem... Timeframe - we've had the vehicle 2 months now.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I am thinking like Rod. This does seem to be a bad batch of engines. My question is how is it ok to drive when the cams are sized wrong? Or as my dealer stated they did not "shim" the cams. I always thought if the cams are not right it could eventually wear down other parts of the engine. My mine concern is, lets say they change the cams and heads, what else could this effect later. To me, this seems to be a fast fix and this fix will take you past the lemon law. In Georgia the Lemon Law can be used up to 24,000 miles under certain circumstances.

Also in our Acadia, teh radio will not pickup an dthe remote starter never works. I love the way the car drives, but I hope GM did not try to put these cars out to qwick and let their standards go on quality conrol

·
Registered
812 Posts

Brad said:
I love the way the car drives, but I hope GM did not try to put these cars out to qwick and let their standards go on quality conrol
I been saying that for a long time.... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
339 Posts

Brad said:
... an dthe remote starter never works...
Brad,
I'm sure you know the correct sequence for the remote start, but just in case, you have to press the lock button first followed by holding down the remote start button for a couple of seconds. There have been several people on here who weren't aware of having to press the lock button on the key fob first, so just thought I'd throw that out there just in case. Having said that, I think I remember a person or two whose remote start didn't work from the factory and had to get the dealer to fix it.

Anyways, good luck with everything. I hope it all works out for the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My Acadia has 300 miles on it and the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer today and was told that the machining of the cams is bad and they need to order the parts - 4 to 6 week backlog. Upon arrival of the parts, they will need the car in the shop for 3-4 days. I was told that the car is fine to drive - the light is on again and if it acts any differently to bring it in again. I am worried that the problem I drive with for 4-6 weeks will cause other damage down the line. Is that possible? I hope this is not the beginning of something bad.

·
Registered
812 Posts

replacing the entire engine could have been the case like what others are stating, after 3000 miles of driving with the bad cam... who knows what damage it cause on your engine and what problems will arise in the future.... IMO

·
Registered
614 Posts

From what i was told the cam may damage the head, so they'll replace both parts. But otherwise it should not affect the motor, although you may lose your stabiltrak & traction control until the cam is fixed. The cam sends or causes an extra pulse to the cam actuator sensor, that shuts off the stabiltrak/TC. If you are driving in nice weather it shouldn't be a problem. Here in Michigan I need those features to operate, therefore they still have our Acadia in the shop (since January 28th). Monday evening we're expected to get 4 to 6 inches of snow, that Acadia would really have come in handy the last month as well as tomorrow night.

·
Registered
533 Posts

mrvids said:
therefore they still have our Acadia in the shop (since January 28th). Monday evening we're expected to get 4 to 6 inches of snow, that Acadia would really have come in handy the last month as well as tomorrow night.
Did they not offer to provide you a loaner Acadia or equivalent? For a month's time I would expect the dealor to help you out for the great delay and inconvenience! Good luck with the repairs![/color]

·
Registered
614 Posts

I was given an Equinox rental, and was offered $355 (one month payment) for my trouble. I think we'll be asking for a buy back, but we'll see if they'll do an exchange as a goodwill gesture on both parties.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts