GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody check into this with the 19's yet? I assume they are polished aluminum like the Corvette optional wheels. Their is a lot of detailed recommendations on the CorvetteForum site including Zaino, etc. etc. ???
Other than normal washing, have not been that concerned about them yet, but wonder if anybody out there has researched what works best? :confused:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Best wheel wax I found is "Wheel Wax". BMWs are notorious for brake dust dirt (but does stop well). I needed something to help keep my wheels clean.

I purchased at local Advanced Auto Parts for about $12.

http://www.wheelwax.com/

Here's what AUTOGEEK says:
Magic in a Jar… Wheel Wax is renowned as the apex of wheel cleaning and protecting. Bring back the original radiance of your wheels with this phenomenal product!

If there is one thing that really stands out for me when I look at a properly detailed car, it has to be the wheels. Wheels should be shiny, well polished and most importantly, clean. All the polish in the world will not work if you have not thoroughly cleaned and protected your road wheels, which is where Wheel Wax comes in. Wheel wax was formulated specifically to tackle cleaning and polishing. Wheel Wax tests all of their products out of their corporate office in Steamboat Springs, CO; the ideal location for extreme conditions. Wheel Wax performs like no other! Your tires will look brand new whether you are driving on windy mountain roads, or along a beachside highway.

Road wheels are always exposed to the elements. Road salt, brake dust and grime are only a few of the more destructive things that can affect your wheel’s appearance and performance. Without proper protection, you will begin to see waterspots and pitting on the metal, chrome, or aluminum components of the wheel itself. Wheel Wax prevents this from occurring, by disallowing moisture to penetrate its protective wax finish. In one simple step you can remove the environmental contaminants and add a protective layer that will repel moisture and debris.

Wheel Wax is great for chrome, aluminum, and stainless wheel parts equally. No need to use 2 different products for cleaning and protecting! The entire wheel will look brand new with uniform clarity.

Wheel Wax is legendary in the detailing world, in the home, garage, and on the show circuit. It is a powerful 2-in-1 cleaner and protectant that will make your wheel surface smooth and bright, as well as prepped properly for polishing.

Wheel Wax truly is magic in a jar. Read what one of our valued Wheel Wax customers had to say about using it:[/color]

-Richard Kirkpatrick writes: “I'm impressed!! Saw it advertised on SPEEDCHANNEL. Amazing product! I've got low dusting Raebestos QS pads on my 98 CORVETTE. This product makes the wheel surface feel like glass, andthe dusting problem is just about completely eliminated. THANK YOU!!”[/color]

Here's a photo:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
002 - What's involved in applying this? Is it pretty quick and easy?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Very simple, just wipe in on clean wheels, let dry to a haze and wipe off--2 coats seems to be the best.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good tip, I will try some! :cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very Good Find.... After only 150 miles on the Acadia, I was already removing brake dust. My X5 wheels are usually coverd in black in only a week of driving. Thanks..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Noticed on our outlooks 19" polished wheels, the finish is very soft. Some fine scratches from when we picked up the vehicle. I'm assuming from the dealer washing the rims with something like a broom brush. The wheels are probaly simliar to the finish of the acadia 19's, wondering what can be used to polish up the scratches.

Bit worried, that i've got to be extra careful washing the wheels on the outlook now. Our last car had a set of 18" BBS RC with a painted clear coat finish, which was durable, compared to other BBS wheels that are finished ball bearing polish.

·
Registered
681 Posts
htdub said:
Noticed on our outlooks 19" polished wheels, the finish is very soft. Some fine scratches from when we picked up the vehicle. I'm assuming from the dealer washing the rims with something like a broom brush. The wheels are probaly simliar to the finish of the acadia 19's, wondering what can be used to polish up the scratches.

Bit worried, that i've got to be extra careful washing the wheels on the outlook now. Our last car had a set of 18" BBS RC with a painted clear coat finish, which was durable, compared to other BBS wheels that are finished ball bearing polish.
I have had the same issue with the Acadia 19's, there are fine scratches from day one, from a distwnce they look great but up close you can see the fine scratches, I take extra care to wash only with a soft cloth and never use a brush. I applied Zaino wax to the wheels, 2 coats and then a coating of CS protectant. They look shiny but was not able to fill in the fine scratches. I have also noticed a few marks from normal driving on the road, there are a few small nicks - I hope these wheels are not going to be a pain to take care of, I only have 900 miles and they have these issues already.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think this is going to an issue. I wish I would have known before optin' for the 19" wheels.

I usually use 2 microfiber wash mitts, one for the top and one for the bottom of the vehicle. I might need a 3rd to do the wheels.

I'm gonna test a couple of wheels polishes to see if they help with the scratches.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did a little test, I used some p21s painter cleansers on the wheels (paint polish), applied it by hand to the wheels, and buffed it out, seems to work pretty well.

I'll do all 4 wheels this weekend and post the final results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had clear coated wheels on my Grand Prix GT and ended up replacing them after nicks around the beads caused air to leak on numerous occasions. Aluminum wheels with clear coat, in my experience, can become a real pain in the can when the protective finish is breached. :'( Good luck with any of these wheels.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Htdub,
Wow, that is some GM document, makes clearcoated wheels sound pretty impractical on the average vehicle! GM ought to institute some sort of exhange service :confused:

·
Registered
80 Posts
The problem is tire dressing of any kind. Armorall, or any other. The stuff either over-sprays, or runs onto your rims, and is like glue for the brake dust.

I stopped using it and the wheels are very easy to keep clean.

I have 2 weeks since the last wash, and the wheels look fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used DP Wheel Glaze. Came out great, and brake dust doesnt stick to them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts