GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family with the assistance of a dashtop Navigator set out on an Expedition in the Durango (only one so it was not the usual Armada this time) to a far off Suburban town today near a large Sequoia tree well south of the Yukon. While there, I suggested we check the local GMC dealer & see if they have a 2009 model with cooled seats. For the uninitiated, the cooled seats we want are only available on the top-o-de-line SLT2. Co-pilot said OK, so we parked behind a truck And I hopped a short wall so as to be able to survey the layout w/o any early sales intervention.

After identifying four possibles, one of which had a salesman at the passenger door talking to a customer, I found that the first one was an SLT1. To get to the others in front of the showroom, I had to walk past the one with the salesman & customer. As I was walking from one to the others, I heard the salesman tell the customer "the seats are heated AND cooled." I checked the ones in front of the showroom (one was the new Green color) and found another SLT1 and an SLE. I walked back the way I came and eased into the sales pitch. I apologized for cutting in, and asked "Does this one have the cooled seats?" and the salesman said yes, and fiddled with a switch on the lower dash. I noted the leather looked smooth (no relation <><[/color]) not perforated like on the Escalade we had tested. I stuck my hand onto the driver seat and couldn't really feel anything other than air from the dash. The lady customer said she didn't know much about the Acadia. I told her it was a really good vehicle (dude, where's my commission?). I then walked to the other side & saw the window sticker that showed this was an SLT1 also, so there were no cooled seats in it. The salesman, through feigned or real ignorance was shining on the poor customer who did not know any better. I bit my tongue and snuck off to the Durango and effected an escape w/o further detection.

The point here is to educate yourself on what you are buying, so these sales people cannot take advantage of you! This forum is a wealth of info to that end. Please spread the word.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: Heroic 5-0-0[/color] :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:
:phone: :banana: :woot:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I totally agree that we as consumers need to do the research on what we are buying. I figure that I am only going to buy one car and will transact 1000s of dollars, so I need to be very educated about the 1 I am buying. The salesman will make a few bucks off the sale and he has to know about all of the cars on the lot. My guess is that there will never be a salesman that knows more about the cars I buy than me.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GAR said:
...My guess is that there will never be a salesman that knows more about the cars I buy than me.
Even if there was, his post count would pale in comparison to yours. ;D

If a dealer was clever, they could sign up salesmen as members here to see what actual customers think & need. It has been alleged that some are doing so, to at least monitor the forum.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yep. I can confirm by personal knowledge that certain dealers are monitoring this forum daily. That could be good . . . or bad (depending upon your perspective). ;)

I can also say that I agree with Blue and GAR regarding knowledge of your prospective product purchase.
I mentioned an incident in which the salesperson made three distinct errors about equipment on the Acadia that he should have known were incorrect. I don't want to speculate that he was shining me on or taking me for a fool, but he insisted that he was correct.

The first item was: "Yeah, the Acadia has offered the center console for the entire 2008 model year. And by the way, it folds down and out of the way so you can use the center aisle between the captain's chairs." ???

The second item: "The Advanced Remote Ignition Start system is already included in the SLT-2. You don't have to order it as an option."
And finally: " Nope. There is no BlueTooth option offered in the 2009 model year." ??? ::)

If I had not pressed the issue and insisted that I knew better, I could have ended up with a $45,000 + vehicle without the options that I really wanted (or at the least with incorrect information). That would have really burned my shorts after waiting months (actually, the jury is still out since I am waiting for it to be built and shipped, but you get my meaning . . .) All the salesperson could do was offer to place the order again or give me a "deal" on something I did not really want. :angryfire:

Bottom Line: Do Your Homework, as has already been suggested. It's worth risking hurting the feelings of your salesperson (who should know better) than to end up not satisfied with your expensive purchase. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or if you are in Chicago, just take Joe Fontana (Dennis Farina) with you. Really helps with the negotiation from what I hear. :)

Everything works out in the end, detnick- your Acadia shall come as ordered, keep the faith!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yep, I agree, this forum is a wealth of information. Its a great source of information for those who are interested in buying an Acadia. And it is an equally great source of information after buying an Acadia. I found this site after I got my Acadia. ;D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Educated and knowledgable car salesmen are like good, honest cops.... few and far between.

I continue to be amazed at people who bicker and deal over every scratch on the walls when buying a house, but drive away from a dealership having bought something they completely misunderstand

·
Registered
347 Posts
Although this might not be the best place to get into this, especially since this forum is about vehicles and those issues related to the subject, one needs to be diplomatic about making generalizations about certain professions. Making comparisons or generalizations between car salesmen and individuals who put their lives on the line everyday is not, in my humble opinion, the way to go.
Although I'm aware that car salemen are usually made fun of as a staple of American pop culture and the practice is generally looked upon as an accepted, albiet, unfair characterization against the majority of people in that line of work, it is not the same thing to deride law enforcement personnel in a general way as neither "good or honest . . . few and far between".
Consider the other members of this forum who may take offense to such characterizations.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toasteroven said:
Educated and knowledgable car salesmen are like good, honest cops.... few and far between.
Well said detnick- like many others in our society, the ones you see in the media are usually the ones that have messed up. You generally won't get any press on the cop that changed a tire, that worked directing traffic in 38 degree rainy weather, that had to knock on a door @ 2 AM to tell someone their teenager died.... :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
Moving on . . .
I posted under another topic some time ago that this forum is the best. :thumb: It gave me a basis and reference point to use in order to make more informed decisions about what I wanted on my Acadia, where I might buy one, and where I could find information pertinent to good ownerhship once I got one. The wealth of information here is considerable. ;D
One problem, however, is the Search option that many times fails to aid you in finding the topic for which you may be searching. I, for one, have sought out certain detailed information, making sure that I confined my search to particular phrases or words that would aid the search engine. On many occasions the system indicated that there was nothing under that criteria. Problem is, I recalled seeing certain topics before but could not remember exactly where. Subsequently, I ran across those topics quite by accident some time later. I felt bad because I either had already opened another topic (making the second posting redundant) or just dropped the issue and did not get the information that I was looking for. :help:
Does anyone have any ideas about how we might help improve the search feature? (This might better be addressed to Admin who probably has more knowledge about this issue than anyone ;) )

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you asked...

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4273.0

I just recently found out about the search bug:
SEARCHING
I used the search box and there is nothing here about my topic. How can I find other posts about my topic?
As it currently stands, the search box in the upper right of the screen only searches the current topic. To do an effective search, you have to use the search button on the menu on the upper left of the screen. This takes you to another screen. From here, you can search all Lambda forums (upper box) or just the Acadia forum (lower box). By default, all sections are checked. You can choose a certain area to search in by clicking on “Choose a board to search in, or search all” and checking the sections you want to search in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. I feel a little silly with the answer to my problem in front of my face the whole time. I realize that it pays to read the whole set of instructions instead of just the highlights. :-[
Now I'm able to search for information a lot better.
(That's the benefit of you having become a Hero Member. You actually know what to do. :D)

·
Registered
275 Posts
detnick said:
Although this might not be the best place to get into this, especially since this forum is about vehicles and those issues related to the subject, one needs to be diplomatic about making generalizations about certain professions. Making comparisons or generalizations between car salesmen and individuals who put their lives on the line everyday is not, in my humble opinion, the way to go.
Although I'm aware that car salemen are usually made fun of as a staple of American pop culture and the practice is generally looked upon as an accepted, albiet, unfair characterization against the majority of people in that line of work, it is not the same thing to deride law enforcement personnel in a general way as neither "good or honest . . . few and far between".
Consider the other members of this forum who may take offense to such characterizations.
I'm glad I can sit on the other end of the internet and make you feel superior by lecturing me and trying to be all high and mighty. I guess a remark about dishonest insert culture here would be out of line too, eh?

That's the funny thing about generalizations; they are usually correct.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The point of the thread was to be sure customers were educated on certain aspects of sales transactions, specifically the salesman may not know much about the vehicle they are selling you. In the course of doing so, I made note of a specific example I had observed. In my "took the plunge" thread, there are several more specific examples, mostly bad, but a couple good. No great surprise, I ended up buying from one of the good examples.

For what it's worth, I don't see anyone here as "superior" or "high and mighty" (with the obvious exception of Queen Web ;)). I believe we all breathe the same air & put our pants on one leg at a time. As a matter of practice, law officers are held to a higher standard than are used car salesmen. For example, car salesmen don't have dashboard cameras to record what is said and done, nor a professional compliance/internal affairs unit to investigate them. That being the case, as with anyone in the public eye when one is accused of misconduct, all in that profession tend to suffer- known as painting with a broad brush.

:soapbox:
There will always be a percentage of the population that does not like lawmen/women, and not just the criminals. Many active and retired law enforcement people do not say what they do/did for a living since it usually unleashes a torrent of "I was pulled over for insert seemingly stupid violation here, I was mistreated by insert name of police agency here," etc., all things that the person listening had nothing to do with and can do nothing about. If asked what they do for a living, the person making the complaint may say they repair televisions. If the lawman/woman says they had a bad experience with a TV repairman, the response usually is the same- that is too bad, I would not have handled things that way if I was involved based on what you told me. And of course, there are three sides to every story.

It is human nature to become defensive when a gratuitous allegation is made. I think it is best to gratuitously ignore it since by the nature of the allegation there is nothing to support it, unless it narrowly and specifically identifies a unique person and situation and can then be supported or refuted.

It is also by nature easy to generalize- in the course of having several homes built over the years, I had encounters with a half-dozen electricians. One became upset with me. Having had no other bad encounters with an electrician, it would be easy to say 1/6 of all electricians are "intolerant hotheads". Would this be correct? Of course not. It is always up to the individual.

Likewise, my next-to-last general contractor would work on Saturdays and helped me frame a half bath for my workshop (not a contract item). Does this mean every GC will do this? Of course not. It is always up to the individual.

/soapbox. Thanks for reading, I feel better now and while perhaps no closer to World Peace we may be a step closer to Forum Peace. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
:ditto: to Blues comment.

As for Toasteroven . . . I don't particularly care what you think. I was merely trying to point out that this might not be the right place to make statements that may offend your fellow posters/members. However, you have the freedom to continue on this course if you like - so is the benefit of free speech.
My intent was not to lecture, but to educate you on boorish behavior. Blue was attempting to calm the situation but you don't seem to be able to take the hint. I would think that most people on this site prefer civility rather than confrontation . . . especially the type that is unnecessary. The "high and mighty" remark might best be applied to those who choose to hide behind the anonymous refuge of the internet.
The concept of courage, however, is something that would apply if you chose to make the same statements to the face of an on-duty law enforcement officer in your town the next time you encounter one.

Now, for my part, I am done with it. Let's move on.

·
Registered
540 Posts
detnick said:
Yep. I can confirm by personal knowledge that certain dealers are monitoring this forum daily. That could be good . . . or bad (depending upon your perspective). ;)

I can also say that I agree with Blue and GAR regarding knowledge of your prospective product purchase.
I mentioned an incident in which the salesperson made three distinct errors about equipment on the Acadia that he should have known were incorrect. I don't want to speculate that he was shining me on or taking me for a fool, but he insisted that he was correct.

The first item was: "Yeah, the Acadia has offered the center console for the entire 2008 model year. And by the way, it folds down and out of the way so you can use the center aisle between the captain's chairs." ???

The second item: "The Advanced Remote Ignition Start system is already included in the SLT-2. You don't have to order it as an option."
And finally: " Nope. There is no BlueTooth option offered in the 2009 model year." ??? ::)

If I had not pressed the issue and insisted that I knew better, I could have ended up with a $45,000 + vehicle without the options that I really wanted (or at the least with incorrect information). That would have really burned my shorts after waiting months (actually, the jury is still out since I am waiting for it to be built and shipped, but you get my meaning . . .) All the salesperson could do was offer to place the order again or give me a "deal" on something I did not really want. :angryfire:

Bottom Line: Do Your Homework, as has already been suggested. It's worth risking hurting the feelings of your salesperson (who should know better) than to end up not satisfied with your expensive purchase. ;)

Is the advanced remote start that comes with the SLT 2 the extended range with display on key fob or a standard key fob? I see the advanced option for $260

·
Registered
347 Posts
DeForger,

I might be wrong on this, but certain models do come with the Basic Remote Ignition Start package. The option offered on the SLT-2 is called the Advanced/Extended Remote Ignition Start system which costs about $260.00, has the "extended range" and a special key fob. The details about the key fob are not clear, but I do recall seeing a post in which there were pictures of the key fob and there was some sort of display on it. The posting mentioned that it was larger in size from the standard system.
Perhaps one of the other members could weight in here because I don't recall exactly where I found that information (but it was somewhere on this forum).

Sorry. :-[

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The advanced remote start does include a small screen for feedback, so you can tell if the engine is running, etc. It is a factor ordered dealer installed option, i.e. you pay for it with the vehicle, and the dealer "installs" it. From what I've read, I think this is a simple relfash of the system.

VBS is available on all models SLE~SLT2 according to the factory ordering listings:
VBS NEW! Limited Promotion Option, Remote vehicle starter system, advanced 2-way
1 - Requires (PDD) Convenience Package (SLE, SLT1). Not available with Fleet or
Government orders.
2 - Not available with Fleet or Government order types.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts