GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who don't have a built in DVD player, this is kind of cool:  I know it's neat to have a built in DVD player in the Enclave, but I don't have that....however, I found out that I can hook up my portable DVD player to the car stereo speakers thru the AUX input on the dash stereo.  Yes it's cords you see, but I think we will try this next time we have a little more of a drive, and see how our kids like it.  We purposly didn't buy the built in DVD in the Enclave because we think our kids watch too much TV as it is.  However, this will be a neat "treat" for them, once in a while.....and the fact the sound will come thru the car audio, will make it seem like it's built in.  Kind of excited to try new things with our car, these new stereos are really cool, even the base unit.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Whatever works for you and your family ! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried it this weekend, and the kids loved it. It sits perfectly on top of the front console, I just slide it all the way back, that way we can change the DVD's for them. It stayed put right there, didn't slip off, or move at all. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
09Enclave said:
Tried it this weekend, and the kids loved it. It sits perfectly on top of the front console, I just slide it all the way back, that way we can change the DVD's for them. It stayed put right there, didn't slip off, or move at all. :thumb:
Glad to hear; when the kids are entertained it makes driving that much more pleasant

·
Registered
24 Posts
09Enclave--so I read your post and decided that I'd try out your 'find.' I was pretty excited myself to see it work and well, I bought the 3.5mm audio cable needed for it to work and well, when I plug things in, all I get is a constant hum. No audio from the DVD. I ended up calling Crutchfield and they suggested a noise filter. So, I ordered it and will see what happens. Any other thoughts from more intelligent minds out there than myself? Oh, I've tried two different DVD players, and I also tried it in my mom's Civic Hybrid (which has the AUX input as well.) The only difference with the Civic was that I could actually hear the audio but with severe humming. With the Acadia, no audio, just severe humming!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
matstang,
How are you connecting the DVD player? Does it have a headphone jack and you're using a cord with a male/male connector or does it have red and white RCA jacks and you're using a cord with two plugs on one end to a headphone jack on the other?

I'll link some photos here in case you're not sure of what I'm talking about:
3.5mm headphone jack plugs on each end:

RCA plugs to 3.5mm headphone jack:

If the former, you should not have any problem. If the latter, this is meant to connect to an amplifier and the signal may be too low for the car audio input to pick up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, using the former (the first pic). I'm a little confused as to why it won't work. I did try an MP3 player and it worked fine, hence the reason I tried a second dvd player thinking it was the first player that was bad. I will update when this filter arrives. Cross your fingers for me...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, installed the filter and the noise (buzz) was still there, however, I could at least hear the audio through the speakers. It was still annoying though, so I was about ready to give up. Well, I failed to mention that I was powering the player through a 100W inverter that plugged into the accy. outlet below the stereo. I eliminated this and ran the player off it's own battery power and it works flawless. Thanks to Blue for his patience with me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts