GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was at my friendly local tire dealer today to get a different car serviced. While hanging around waiting, I asked about winter tires for the Acadia.

Note that I want a true snow tire, and not an all season. I will swap tires out seasonally spring and fall.

Here's what I learned:

1. Still no exact size match in any winter tire. The only 255/65-18 tire he found was the Goodyear Forteras (same as OEM).

2. Tire dealer says a 265/60-18 tire will fit the Acadia 18 inch wheel just fine. This size of tire will be just slightly wider and shorter, but no noticeable difference. Even the speedometer will be unaffected by this small change. I know snow tires should be narrower if anything, but I'm setting that aside for now.

3. In this new size, he recommends the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 as the perfect snow tire for me!

I'm not too knowledgeable about this. Anyone done this (on any car)? Is there a little wiggle room on the tire size?

Assuming I go this way, anyone own this model of Blizzaks, and if so what was your winter experience on snow/ice/slush?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My experience is with the Blizzaks which I have all 4 on my Mustang come November each year. I would not be without them if driving a regular passenger car or mini van. I see my factory Acadia 18 inch are M/S labeled with the outside tread of the tire having good snow grip design. I see no reason to put Blizzaks all the way around
in my part of the country until I have tried out the factory M/S tires. Past experience using M/S is ALMOST like snow tires in winter. Maybe someone else has experience with M/S vs all Snow tire.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phazer,

I checked out the Nokian website, and don't see the size. The closest I can find is 255/60R18. Would this also be a fit? Would it affect speedometer reading?

I'm actually very familiar with Nokian Hakkas. I have a set of NRWs on a Subaru. Great snow tires. They lasted 4 full winters, and now need replacement. I have a dealer 4 miles from my house. I'll probably get WR All Weather Plus (for the Subie), if they are as good as the NRWs. I'm still debating it, since they are all season vs. true snow tires. But, if they're made the the Finns, they must be good!

·
Registered
101 Posts
My bad...I liked the idea of studs for the stopping power. The tire will certainly fit, but when the speedo reads 60, the car will be going 58.1...for me, that's no big deal.

I have a spare set of 18" rims, and I'll be comparing Blizzaks that are available locally with the Nokians that will have to come from Seattle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
xcskier,

You may want to look on tirerack.com. They have tons of write ups on different brands and how they perform I know it has helped the past.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Tomahawk said:
xcskier,

You may want to look on tirerack.com. They have tons of write ups on different brands and how they perform I know it has helped the past.
They have tire calculators too...or maybe that was http://www.tires.com, in case you wanted to see the size differences and impact to speedometer readings.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There were some posts back in late Jan or Feb. from drivers back East driving in heavy snow (with AWD) and not having a problem with there 18" MS tires. You might want to go one season without and see what happens. With FWD, I would be more tempted.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We have plenty of snow, and in my pre-retirement job we had Chevy Astro AWD work vans. Everybody raved about how good they got around in the snow...but if you needed to stop in a hurry, you'd better plan ahead.

I'd just prefer to have the best tires for the worst conditions...

·
Registered
7 Posts
imgntht said:
Tomahawk said:
xcskier,

They have tire calculators too...or maybe that was http://www.tires.com, in case you wanted to see the size differences and impact to speedometer readings.
That's what I was going to suggest..

What about the Michelin tire being used on the Enclave. I'm sure it's an all season, but that should be available as a possible upgrade.

:cheers:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've already had multiple "bumps" on my bottom skid plate and the front air dam. A 1/2" shorter tire is not an option for me. :sosad:

I am considering the 275/60 R18 as it is 4/10" wider on each side, but still has the same height. Unfortunately the Blizzak DM-Z3 are the only ones available (I was hoping for a studded tire).

I also considered the 255/70 R17, but there's no R17 wheels in a 6x132 bolt pattern. ???

I must admit that I am slightly frustrated as the Acadia has been out for about a year now, yet no winter tires for 255/65 R18's. :angryfire:

FunkD

·
Registered
677 Posts
You could contact bridgestone and such(send them an email) and ask if they plan to make a tire in your size.

I did that with my old car with goodyear and 4 months later like they told me my tire size was there!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are the dimensions of the tire sizes under discussion (I hope I did the calculations correctly):

Width (in) Dia (in)
P255 65 18 (OE size) 10.04 31.05
P265 60 18 10.43 30.52
P275 60 18 10.83 30.99

Funk D, you're right about the diameter. The 265/60-18 is about 1/2 inch smaller than the OE tire. If getting over bumps is a problem this will probably make things worse. The 275/60-18 is only .06 inch smaller, so it's essentially the same diameter as the OE tire.

I would consider the increase in width as you make your decision. Snow tires are usually narrower than summer or performance tires. I've always assumed that you want to have a little more pressure down through the tread onto the road for snow traction, and that is achieved by a narrower contact patch.

If you go with your larger size, the contact patch is about 0.8 inches wider than the OE size. This is nearly an 8% increase. I would worry that this much increase would degrade the snow traction. I doubt if it would be huge, but it might be enough to notice.

This is the main reason I will probably go with the 265/60-18 size, if the OE size does not become available in snow tires. It's about 0.4 inches wider than OE, and I hope it won't have too much effect on snow traction. I haven't had any problems with ground clearance, however, or I might have to think twice about the smaller diameter. As someone else previously pointed out, the difference in diameter (1.7%) will result in a 1mph speedometer error at 65 mph. This is acceptable to me.

Just a thought as you select the tires...

BTW, I contacted Nokian USA (in Tennessee) directly about snow tires for the Acadia. They responded back that this winter they will be introducing a new Hakka SUV 5, which will come in a 265/60R18 size. It's not on their website yet, and my dealer wasn't aware of it, either. If it's anything like other Nokian snow tires I've owned, it'll be great! That's what I'm leaning toward as of today.

Good luck, and THINK SNOW!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, up here we live an breath Hakka's if they come in the right size. Best winter tire made, especially if you can get them studded.

The skinnier tire for snow traction only applies in deep snow so the tires will cut to the base rather than pack. The front air damp limits the depth of snow I'll be driving in (to a degree) so I'm not too worried about that, 8% wider won't make a difference to me. It's ice traction that I want, which wider tires are better for.

My main concern is if a 8% wider tire will rub? probably not, but I'd like some re-assurance.

Along those same lines, I'd love to get the 265/70 R18 which would make the Acadia sit (approx) 3/4" higher, but will it fit in the wheel well w/o rubbing? I think this evening I'll go and do some measuring. Cheers!

FunkD

·
Registered
159 Posts
Also had Blizzaks on our Chrysler. Had 17" rims but got a 16" tire, I believe. They were awesome. I could stomp on it in snow from a dead stop and just wave bye to those around me! Always felt safe with those on!

We're stuck looking for winter tires for our 19" rims! Just checked Tirerack.com. None yet. :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My local Nokian dealer said today that the new Hakka SUV 5 won't be available until mid-December. I guess they're still coming over from Finland.

Now I have to decide whether to wait until then, and get by on the Goodyears, or go with Bridgestone Blizzaks, which are available now.

I think I'll wait and see how it goes. Maybe I'll like the Goodyears + awd so much that I'll pass on snow tires altogether!

We'll see...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sup all, nice to see some fellow alaskans on here :) So did any of you find a snow tire with the exact measurments of the stock tires? I just looked outside this morn and theres snow on the ground! Anyways I'll be hitting up the local tire shops to see if I can find some studded tires for the acadia. I'll try and report back on my findings.

Jon

1 - 20 of 44 Posts