GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife hit a pheasant yesterday and it blew out the passenger side headlamp. Have a few questions. Where can I find a new one for a reasonable price and not the stealership and second how hard are they to change out? I've seen a couple on Ebay but I think they were used and non-Xenon or something. Is that the blue light looking bulbs? I've got an SLT so I assume they are Xenon? I replaced both headlamps on my Grand Cherokee with aftermarket ones that I got off Ebay for like $100/pair. It was easy to do. I'm thinking this won't be easy or cheap. My deductible is like $500 so insurance is out of the question. This stinks!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Doodle,

Look for the code TVD on the build sticker in the glove box. If it is there, you have the HID headlamps. If not, you have the regular halogen headlamps. This will determine which lamp assembly you will need.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No TVD code so I guess I don't have them. Now just have to figure out where I can buy a headlamp without getting raped.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Wow, that guy has a little bit of everything. Wonder where he gets it all? ???

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Wow, that guy has a little bit of everything. Wonder where he gets it all? ???
from sellers information, if it is real or not who knows

ABOUT ME

I have been self-employed as SCOOBY THE CORE MAN since 1995. I started out selling used automotive ecm's to several rebuilders and dabbled in other forms of auto parts such as starters, alternators and any other small automotive parts that one of my re-builders may be interested in.

Then I started parts locating "brokering" good used parts as core prices started dropping. By 1999 all I dealt with was ecm's and airbags but I kept my
business name the same so all my clients would remember me.

When I started selling on ebay in June of 2000 I had over 1000 airbags in inventory and a pipe dream hoping people out there may want to buy what I had!!! Boy was I surprised!!! Ebay completely changed my life!! Now I buy and sell airbags so fast its hard for me to even keep a couple hundred bags around!! My inventory drastically changes on a daily basis!!

I have recently diversified and started selling good used instrument clusters, ecm's, maf's and occasionally some motorcycle parts!! This is just to make sure I never run out of items the ebayers may need or want. I travel all around to auctions, closeouts, going out of business sales, dealerships and major recycling facilities to bring such goods to the ebay market.

[/color]

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That's too bad, but it makes me feel a little more sane. I have hit two birds and almost three or four more. Everything from little to hawks. I have sworn that birds like my car. Sounds like I'm not the only one.

Hope everything comes out fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bonk1313 said:
This looks like a good start.

Yeah, I looked at this one. Makes me a little nervous though because he said it had some scratches and water spots, etc. But for a $100 maybe it's worth a shot. New one at a stealer is $430! One with HID is $995! I about fell over. I can't believe these lamps cost that much. I figure if I buy this one it's in worse shape than expected I could just wait until I find a better one, or maybe some cheaper aftermarkets will come around. A new Tahoe light is only like $90 on Ebay. Surely the price will come down. I'm hesitant to buy new also becuause she could easily hit another one. We have tons of pheasants out here. Guess I didn't kill enough last year hunting.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Tahoe-Acadia...........apples and oranges; plus the Acadia has only been out since 07 so parts will be more expensive. Anyway the seller is sure to sell only good quality parts; no junk from that guy.

For that price; you could buy one for each side; upgrade with the Xenon HID kit and still come under $995 for a new one with factory HID; and the install might be a little easier

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I looked on car-part.com (online junkyard) and they don't have many listings for non-HID lamps. The cheapest one was $160 ($US, $200 in Canada), so if you can get one for $100 on ebay, that would be the way to go.

<Broken record>
Of course, if you would be kind enough to post your location in your profile it would make it easier for us to help you since the price varies based on where you are located as noted in the above example. On more common items, car-part can usually locate one nearby.

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
Pheasants?!?! Sounds like Doodle might be from the Dakotas!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I need to work on my profile. Actually this is my wife's vehicle, but I do all the maintainance on it, you know how it goes. Actually I live in SW Kansas. Flat, no trees, and no surface water. If it wasn't for all the irrigation we'd pretty much be a desert.

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
Doodle, say 'Hi' to Matt Dillon, Chester and Doc for me!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got a nice headlamp off Ebay for $58 with shipping/handling. A new one from GMC was $430 plus tax! I wasn't going to pay that for a headlamp when my wife will probably break one out again in the future anyways. Well the headlamp I got (althought I haven't installed it yet to make sure it works) is in great condition, but the inside of the lamp has some "fogginess" to it. I'm thinking it probably got some condensation in it at one time and left a film. Is there anyway to clean the inside of the lens? I'm thinking not. If I could it would be almost a perfect light. If not I can live with it for $58.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do think you are going to need to remove/loosen off the bumper cover. If you look at the headlight in the photo, the black plastic lip on the very bottom, I do belive is hooked under the bumper cover assy. Which stops you from removing the lamp assy, also you will need to remove the inner fender liner to access some of the bolts that are holding the headlamp on. I noticed the bolts when I add the Xenon HID kit to my 08.

Matt

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got time to install the headlamp and OMG what a PIA to replace the headlamp. This is udderly ridculous. I'm stuck right now and can't figure how to get the lamp out. I have all the bolts loose and have loosened the front bumper facia on one side, but it looks like I'm going to have to remove the entire facia. Is this right? I mean it will take me all day to put everything back together once I do this! What a joke. Can anyone help me and tell me what I need to do to replace this headlamp. I have take the inner fender out which gave good access to the bolts. Help please!!!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
We have a couple of members here that work at dealers, maybe one of them will pick up on this. I'll send you a PM so you can get in touch with them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well after messing with it most of the afternoon I got it installed. After thinking about it, it wasn't really that hard to do it's just I didn't know what to do to start out. Hope I don't have to do this again!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Doodle said:
Well after messing with it most of the afternoon I got it installed. After thinking about it, it wasn't really that hard to do it's just I didn't know what to do to start out. Hope I don't have to do this again!
sorry we couldnt help. Don't know anyone that has done it yet. Any tips for the rest of us!?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts