GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of or used a Perma Plate product on their vehicle. The dealer offered me a 'Perma Plate' protection package. He suggested that I visit their website for more information at www.permaplate.com. I usually assume these paint and interior protection packages are worthless but I thought I would ask for some feedback for those of you who may have used this product before.

·
Registered
794 Posts
How much did he want to charge you? (usually that's one place you can bargin down if you make it look like you are not to interested).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price for the paint, interior carpet and leather protection package was $465. The package also included the product to be applied after year 1 and year 2 to maintain the paint and interior protection.

·
Registered
523 Posts
cpa said:
The price for the paint, interior carpet and leather protection package was $465. The package also included the product to be applied after year 1 and year 2 to maintain the paint and interior protection.
I have never heard of that product but my truck has a 5 year protectant on it. When I bought it they had already applied the protectant but I could have spent 500 for a 5 year warranty. For what I'm not sure but I figured if they warranty it for 5 years I'll take my chances without the warranty. I'm a little crazy anyways and wax my vehicles every 4 months no matter what. I'm not a big fan of dealer add on protectants. I believe if you spend 15-20 on a good wax once or twice a year you are doing the same thing that their industrial protectants do. Just my two cents take it or leave it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I use griots garage products: www.griotsgarage.com. These products are great. I have had many new cars and never used the dealers protection packages. I just wanted some input in case I was missing something. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live on the south shore of Lake Erie and my cars see plenty of road salt and probably a good bit of acid rain. My 10 year old Grand Prix looks great and has never been treated with anything but Blue Coral Glaze twice a year. The clear coats on todays autos will protect very well as long as we don't polish them off with abrasive cleaner and wax compounds. The glaze helps protect the clearcoat from uv and oxidation. Over washing and drying with a towel can also wear off the clearcoat. I'm sure there are as many opinions on this as there are car owners. This is just what I've learned from my own personal experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have always believed the protection packages are not more than a wax job and a can of fabric protector like SCOTGARD.

On a previous car my wife purchased that had the protection package applied already, we said we did not want it and after a little discussion the dealer just crossed it off the invoice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was amazed at the number of addons the Finance guy layed on me while signing the deal.

I understand this has gotten "bad" over the last couple of years but, wow.

Lojak, paint protection, undercarriage protection, carpet protection, extended warranty (typical) and probably about 3 other things. I'm against any after market type warranty items as I feel the harder they push, the more likely it benefits them than me ;) I know there are others who swear by these things but I believe you can easily be OVER insured :-\

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hahahha
It happened to me last saturday
I was told that i really need a life/disability insurance
They added 7500 to the price
From 36500 it went to 44,000
I still signed it because im too ezcited
Then monday comes, i told them to cancel it, the manager was not happy about it but i said i will cancel the purchase if you insist.
Lol and he did remove the insurance

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
caveat_emptor said:
Hahahha
Then monday comes, i told them to cancel it, the manager was not happy about it but i said i will cancel the purchase if you insist.
I'm a little confused; your dealer said you needed insurance prior to selling you the vehicle?

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
caveat_emptor said:
Hahahha
Never had that happen during the purchase of the Enclave. Perhaps it was because I told the salesman from the beginning don't even think about it. As for the life/disability insurance on the loan that insurance is on the home loan, not anything else. LOL taking your money and anticipating if you will or will not live until the vehicle is paid off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
last saturday we went to the dealer to finalize everything
signed all the documents
on the loan amount
from 36,500 that was agreed upon
it went to 44,000

i asked the dealer is it because of the interest? he said no, the bank wants you to have an insurance for death and disability just in case something happened to you, you will be covered / monthly payment will be covered. AND IT IS A REQUIREMENT!!!

so i still signed it as i really like the acadia

when i got home saturday night. wasnt able to sleep thinking of insurance that business manager insisted of me having.

monday comes, even though i signed all the papers, i told them to remove the insurance or i will not push through with the purchase. i dont have the vehicle with me yet.

then late in the afternoon, i received a call from the business manager and said.
" oh yeah i negotiated with the bank and they agreed to remove the insurance "

yesterday i went back to sign a new documents. the business manager is no longer as friendly as before.

maybe because he lost a huge amount of commission from the insurance deal. hahahah

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
They can stick their requirement IMO

Sent from my iPhone 3G S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
I have never heard of getting a life insurance at the dealership.. to cover the vehicle purchase..
thats a new one...

·
Registered
973 Posts
A while back I read an article on Yahoo - Confessions of a car salesman.

He said, that is the most profitable area for the dealership.
He admitted about telling out right lies and using pressure to get people to add on.

He went on to say about how poor the quality of stuff was, and how it wasn't worth it.

I thought I read somewhere, that the Acadia (most other vehicles too) use special steel (Zinc plated?) and the they don't recommend the vehicle be undercoated or rust proofed.
Yet I'm sure some dealers still offer these service, for a pretty penny.

I think the OP knows better then to fall for the games they play.

·
Super Moderator
18,759 Posts
caveat_emptor said:
... i asked the dealer is it because of the interest? he said no, the bank wants you to have an insurance for death and disability just in case something happened to you, you will be covered / monthly payment will be covered. AND IT IS A REQUIREMENT!!!
caveat, your name says it all!! What a crock of :bs: that guy was handing to you! :eek: It's shenanigans like this that cause a lot of bad blood between consumers and some car 'dealers.' :thumbdown:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts