GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd start a new thread to have a detailed discussion about the transmission. There seems to be a wide range of complaints or issues with it. Some people don't notice anything. I'd say some notice something, but maybe it doesn't bother them while others think it's annoying at times. There also seems to be some that are really bothered by the whole thing.

I want to know if those with FWD are on the side of not noticing it really or it's there, but not a big deal and those with AWD are noticing it much more and have a bigger issue with it.

There have been varying levels of complaints, but I think also the complaint itself varies amongst people. Along with having FWD vs. AWD and your level of complaint, how about the ONE thing that bothers you the most. Is it 45 mph? Is it shifting too much on the highway? Is it not responsive enough when wanting to pass on the highway? Is it shifting too early in city driving? These are only suggestions. Your complaint can be anything, but only one please.

I'd like to see if FWD vs. AWD plays a role and if we can get one area in particular that seems to stand out for everyone. Something more than there's a "lag" issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have FWD. I have absolutely no complaints on the transmission. All of our cars in the past (and one currently) have manual transmissions. We are thrilled with the smoothness of this 6-speed automatic. And coming from manual transmission drivers, I think that says alot. Ours is a blue-gold pretty loaded SLT2 - bought 2 weeks ago off the lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I find myself having to use agressive throttle tip -in and throttle angle to get the tranny to " kick down " in just " routine " maneuvers like going around a slower car in my lane on a freeway . I've driven AWD versions only on my 4 test drives at sea level and at high altitute where the need to kick down is much more dramatic. The resulting racket is not something that gives passengers a sense of " luxury " about the vehicle - reminds them of underpowered small displacement motor econocars . It ( tranny /engine phasing )should be something I don't even think about and should involve smoothness from a driver's standpoint even if it cost 1-2 EPA MPG, because in the real world , no one drives this car like " granny " anyway , so might as well program it better to begin with.

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I first drove the new Acadia I really noticed the lack of acceleration at highway speeds. The need to stomp on it to shift down was obvious then. That said, after the re-flash, that has been GREATLY improved. I have no complaints about slower speed shifting in traffic. I just don't feel that there is any deficit here. This is not a V8 4:10 combination, and to expect that is unreasonable. I knew when I bought it that I would be losing some power in exchange for fuel efficiency. So, my only observation stands at this. In sixth gear at about 60-65 mph the need for acceleration for lane changes could be better. That alone is my one issue. I see no drop of in RPM's after re-flash. I see zero lack of downshift at lower speeds. Any improvements in these areas would just be a bonus, but definitely not a necessity

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have the awd. I do find the acceleration to be sluggish at times, but I've also found if I'm more aggressive with the throttle it helps alot. I think the gearing could be improved, but then economy might suffer so everything is a compromise. If I'm on the freeway and the trans is hunting between 5th and 6th I just leave it in 5th and the power is much better. The problem is really the engine is a little down on low end torque which is not uncommon with a V6. The engine produces around 250 pounds of torque and about 275hp. I would rather have 275 pounds of torque and 250 hp, but those numbers would be more inline with a larger displacement V8 than the V6. Probably the ideal solution would be for the car to weigh about 500 pounds less, but then again there would be a trade-off somewhere. Maybe a V8 might not get any worse mileage in the real world, but the EPA testing is not real world driving and the lab results would be worse for the V8 and consumers might look elsewhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a FWD model and I have no complaints on the transmission. I traded in a Magnum with a Hemi for the Acadia, so of course I wish I had more power ;D. I knew what I was getting with the V6 and I've been happy with it and the transmission.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A common complaint is having to push on the pedal too much to get the trans to shift when you want the vehicle to take off and go. This is near the top of the list of improvements that are being worked on. The transmission will do a much better job of picking the correct gear to provide acceleration with a more appropriate pedal input from the driver.

I wasn't necessarily looking for technical responses to my original post either. A description of your issue in your own words is just fine. With all the talk about the transmission, I was hoping to get several viewpoints on what issues are out there.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I have an SLE FWD. Before having the tranny recall performed, there was a noticeable and annoying lag in the transmission when taking off from a stop, or accelerating after turning a corner, and then another lag right around 40-45 MPH.

After the recall, the lag I experienced from stop and around corners isn't as noticeable. It happens every once in a while, but not enough to bother me. The 40-45 MPH lag is still present. It's more like a hesitation when accelerating. I've learned to "drive around it" most of the time, but sometimes I still experience it. It no longer bothers me though. I can live with it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I feel mine is OK. I had a manual before so I have a different expectation out of the automatic. I have said before, I don't have a problem now that I realized that I have a "perceived lag" when the engine gets quiet, but the speed does increase. I am more "in tune" with the sounds, just because of driving a manual for so long.

I drive a FWD.

I did have one thing though. This only happened once, when I was accelerating Sunday going to the horse show, I had a loud clunk sound. It was loud enough that both my husband and I heard it over the radio and our talking. I'm not too worried, until I hear it again!! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Web Raven said:
I have an SLE FWD. Before having the tranny recall performed, there was a noticeable and annoying lag in the transmission when taking off from a stop, or accelerating after turning a corner, and then another lag right around 40-45 MPH.

After the recall, the lag I experienced from stop and around corners isn't as noticeable. It happens every once in a while, but not enough to bother me. The 40-45 MPH lag is still present. It's more like a hesitation when accelerating. I've learned to "drive around it" most of the time, but sometimes I still experience it. It no longer bothers me though. I can live with it.
I have an SLE and agree with what you are saying completely. I would like to see it fixed with another update. It just does not feel right but I can live with it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Have the FWD, it was built 3/12 so the initial program had the new shift parameters from the start. We came from a Jeep GC Ltd V8.

I don't have any complaints, I actually like the smoothness of the engine and tranny in Auto mode. It is a realization of what is there, and it is not the Jeep which was 700-800lbs lighter with 310lbs of torque.

I have, when passing on a two lane road, shifted to manual, and downshifted 2 gears to get all the power I would ever need in passing. My wife, who loves the Acadia more with each passing day, notes the lack of accel compared to the Jeep, but she also has said she feels much better about getting 19 during her driving everyday then the 15 or so she was getting in the Jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had mine (FWD SLE) since Friday 4/27 and have put 260+ miles on it. After having read the posts here I was looking for the "lag" (which feels to me more like the torque converter rather than a gear shift) and the shift issues. I've found that I'm already getting used to them and have been able to "smoothe" out the issue with throttle control.

This reminds me a lot of the 1987 S-10 Blazer I had that had a new four speed automatic transmission to boost mileage to help sales. It too seemed to lack "guts" especially when pulling a hill as it took too long to downshift and you lost a lot of speed and momentum before it would downshift. I learned to work around it by pushing on the accelerator to "kick it down" before I started up the hill. It worked fine although it sucked gas to do this. This vehicle is a lot smoother and I'm sure that anyone can get used to the nuances of the engine and transmission combination if they give it a chance.

I'm quite happy with the way it drives. I don't have any feel for the mileage as I'm still on the intitial tank of gas, but as an engineer I understand the trade offs between gas mileage and "get up and go." Perhaps GM can develop a "sport shift" programming package and make it available for those who want performance over gas mileage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know the intial post asked to pick just one issue... but I can't. I really like the Acadia, but this transmission is what is keeping me from really enjoying driving it. If it weren't for the manumatic mode, I would hate it. Our Acadia has about 200 miles on it and is AWD.

In order of my tranny issues:
1.) The amount of pedal effort to get the vehicle moving, especially in reverse. This is killing gas mileage - 12.2 mpg over the first tank of gas mixed highway and city driving.
2.) Hunting for gears around town. Never seems to find the "right" gear almost like it needs a gear in between 2nd and 3rd.
3.) Shifting too soon under light acceleration. Acadia falls flat on it's face.
4.) Lag to downshift to pass on the highway.

I knew going in that this was not going to have top fuel like acceleration, but I had hopes that the new 6 speed would keep the engine in it's sweet spot. It seems that there are two speeds, full throttle acceleration, or granny mode. My VIN is not part of the tranny recall, but I sure hope that this is not the new and improved calibration. Even my truck which has 5.3L V8 with long tube headers, performance camshaft, ported cylinder heads, making 360 hp and 400 Lb-ft of torque with a 3000 rpm torque converter and 4.10 gears gets better average fuel economy (15ish). Something is not right. :sosad:

·
Registered
497 Posts
mckcab said:
I did have one thing though. This only happened once, when I was accelerating Sunday going to the horse show, I had a loud clunk sound. It was loud enough that both my husband and I heard it over the radio and our talking. I'm not too worried, until I hear it again!! :D
I have experienced this as well--2x (AWD). It has been on the highway when passing another vehicle. Can't recall if it was flat, up, or down grade at the time. I wondered if the tranny was trying to do two things at once, and got signals crossed or something.

Other than that, I really like the Acadia tranny. Both in D mode and L +/- mode.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Just to help stay on topic with lzwhb2's question - please make sure you indicate whether you have FWD or AWD in your response. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
tdrumm said:
1.) The amount of pedal effort to get the vehicle moving, especially in reverse. This is killing gas mileage - 12.2 mpg over the first tank of gas mixed highway and city driving.
2.) Hunting for gears around town. Never seems to find the "right" gear almost like it needs a gear in between 2nd and 3rd.
Amen.

I think 1 was fixed with tranny update, fo rme at least.

2 through 4 I couldn;t agree more.

My reservations are well documented. I have an SLT-2 AWD. Like tdrumm said, this is the only thing keeping me from really enjoying this vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a late March build AWD. I confirmed with the dealer that I had the most recent transmission flash. My biggest problem is the transmission shifting into a higher gear too soon at launch. When trying to merge into traffic it seems to shift from 1, 2, 3 so quickly that the engine rpm is very low on the torque curve. Then the car falls flat in 4th because the rpm's are so low that there is no power left. Pressing the pedal to the floor brings a downshift that casuses an abrupt rpm increase which can be concerning. This has caused me to be more agressive with the pedal or use the manual shift. The trailer towing profile is more agressive but perhaps holds gears longer than necessary for everyday driving. I would like to see 1,2,3,4 held longer relative to throttle position, say at 3/4 throttle it would hold gears to 4k.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I have a FWD SLT1 and also have no complaints. Before the Transmission flash, I had issues, but since then, the very minor issues I notced aren't even close to enough to complain about. After reading through this thread, I think lz is on to an aspect that hasn't really been uncovered before - AWD owners tend to have MUCH more noticeable issues than FWD owners. I wonder if this trend will hold up...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tdrumm said:
tdrumm,

Thanks for the feedback. Your first comment is new to me. I've never heard a complaint of pedal effort in reverse. Are you just backing out of your driveway or parking space when you encounter this?

Your 4th comment is also my biggest complaint with the transmission at the moment. This will be corrected in the next update.

Items 2 and 3 kind of go together and the solution is shared with your "lag" to downshift on the highway. The hunting will be greatly reduced driving in the city, but early upshifts to allow you to get good fuel economy will still be there. Hopefully you won't notice as much because the downshifts are going to be so much better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
admin said:
I have a FWD SLT1 and also have no complaints. Before the Transmission flash, I had issues, but since then, the very minor issues I notced aren't even close to enough to complain about. After reading through this thread, I think lz is on to an aspect that hasn't really been uncovered before - AWD owners tend to have MUCH more noticeable issues than FWD owners. I wonder if this trend will hold up...
I was about to post the same type of statement. So far it definitely seems the AWD crowd is having the problems.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts