GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with my passenger side airbag. Frequently when my wife or daughter are in the passenger seat the airbag indicator reads “OFF”. The dealer told that the seat sensor is set to 125 lbs by the factory; presumable above that weight and the airbag will be active, and below that weight it will be inactive (i.e OFF). I did some experimentation with some 50 lb sand bags and the set point is definitely between 100 and 150 lbs (I am using 50lb sand bags). The issue I have is: my wife weighs ~150 lbs (she doesn’t read the forums so I am safe). Shouldn’t a 150lb person have the protection of an airbag? And what about my 125 lb daughter? I guess I am asking for some other Acadia owners experience in this regard. When you have someone in the 120 to 150 lb range does your airbag read “OFF”? Also, if there are any airbag-knowledgeable folks out there I’d like to hear your thoughts. I some measurements with a bathroom scale and a person weighing 150 lbs should only exert about 120 lb range on the seat; assuming there feet rest on the floor…. Yes I am an Engineer, so I can’t help myself. Any thoughts, regarding the airbag situation, would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When my 115 lb. wife sits in the passenger seat, the airbag is on. I think your dealer is blowing smoke.

·
Registered
468 Posts
loach said:
When my 115 lb. wife sits in the passenger seat, the airbag is on. I think your dealer is blowing smoke.
:ditto:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
When my 105 lb wife sits in the seat the airbag is on as well. But it could be that each car is a bit different and the tolerance of that switch is not very tight. It could also be some blowing of smoke. I do know that I would complain if a full grown adult did not turn on the airbag.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife is 110 lbs. and it's on when she's in the passenger seat. However, in our previous Yukon sometimes it would flicker on and off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My wife is 104 and it is always ON, not OFF. There is no way they set it to 125 lb, because many, many women are lighter and the airbags are set by the government to protect adults. Something is clearly wrong. Time to find a new dealer, OR have your dealer put your wife in another Acadia on the lot to prove the point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Perhaps your wife didn't wish to purchase the Acadia, instead wanting an Outlook. Cars can read minds (for example my 65 Fury, what an emotional basket case), and he is getting back at her for not wanting him as part of her family. I'm a psychlogist, I couldnt help it either. Ok, so I'm just kidding, I think your dealer is sadly, sadly mistaken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts