GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my mother-in-law for a ride last night. She loved the car - how quiet and smooth it was. She went nuts over the XM channel 4, which I had playing all the great ol oldies.
Only problem was, the airbag sensor stayed in the off position. She is not very heavy and is probably about 5'2". I think the problem is that because she fractured her hip and has a very bad back - she sits on a airfilled (donut kind of) bladder to take her weight off her hip bones. This distributes her weight so much the car can't sense her (no jokes here guys).
Having read page 88, I think I can get the car to notice her, but the minute she starts to sit on that airbladder, I think the sensor will turn off.
I really think they need a manual override.
Of course, she's ready to invoke the disabilities act and sue the company (did I mention she's kind of festy).
Probably won't know much more till I can get her in the car and play around with the sensor's, but according to page 88 -I've got to have her sit kinda normal for 2-3 minutes for the car to sense her. Which sounds like a pain. And as I said, I think it will go off again anyway. The seats are too firm for her to not use her airbladder.

Would like to hear from some of our experts!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the laugh! :rofl: On a serious note...sorry to hear you are having a problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i've noticed that with my 13 year old (105 pounds or so), the sensor recognizes here about 2/3 of the time. the other 1/3 is turns the airbag off as if no one is there.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's not good. Does it recognize her at the start and then turn off. Or just not at all?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here you go sandman:

If a person of adult-size is sitting in the right front passenger’s seat, but the off indicator is lit, it could be because that person is not sitting properly in the seat. If this happens, turn the vehicle off and ask the person to place the seatback in the fully upright position, then sit upright in the seat, centered on the seat cushion, with the person’s legs comfortably extended. Restart the vehicle and have the person remain in this position for two to three minutes. This will allow the system to detect that person and then enable the right front passenger’s frontal airbag and seat-mounted side impact airbag.

From page 88 of the manual -- glad to see they thought of this!

...now all you need is protection for you from the "skinny ol mother-in-law" when she finds out what you called her and that you told the (Acadia) world she rides on a modified whoopie cushion!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
woopie cushion - so that explains where the funny noises have been coming from ;D

The problem is, I think that once I slid the noise maker back under her, the sensor will go off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts