GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband put my Acadia in the garage at a strange angle and when I backed it out I hit the door frame. It didn't scratch the paint off the Acadia, but it did the door. I now have a four inch streak of white paint above my front wheel. I took a little off with a key, but am afraid that too much scraping will damage the paint.

Any suggestions? My husband wants to take it to the body shop...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try a clay bar, should remove anything on the paint surface. You may need to buff the area (if you can see light scratches on the clear coat) or have someone at a detail shop do it fo you if you aren't comfortable with it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That will need to be polished out, AND DONT TOUCH YOUR PAINT WITH THE KEY!! O MAN!

·
Registered
164 Posts
One product I've used successfully is Meguiar's Scratch-X. It's a fine scratch & swirl remover. Apply it in a similar fashion as wax, allow it to dry and buff out with a clean cloth. Then you'll need to apply some wax to the treated area.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think its funny how you blame your husband's park job on the fact that YOU backed it out and hit the door frame. Its almost as good as when my wife said "the house moved" in reaction to why her last car got a dent and scratches on it. Only she was joking around... ;D

I can't even believe you seriously took a key to it! :jaw: :nono: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really was his fault!!! He has a little G two door so he pulled the Acadia in where he could open his doors all the way open. He put it in so the wall next to the garage door was behind the car. I didn't know he had touched it due to the great seat fob. :beatdown: I have VERY little manuvering room in the garage to begin with. Yes I hit it, but I already have to fold in my side mirrors to get it out. He should have warned me!!!

As for the key, I only used it a little to see if the paint would come off. He griped at me big time for that!!!

Update= Thanks for the great ideas, the paint came off with no problems and you can't even tell it was there!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
If a key doesn't work, try using a Ginsu knife. You could also try to cover the paint up with a few bullet holes. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
812 Posts
fenwah said:
If a key doesn't work, try using a Ginsu knife. You could also try to cover the paint up with a few bullet holes. :eek:hno:
;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tip from and "old school" body shop man who gave it to me long ago.
Turpintine on a soft cloth rag not poured directly on car but on rag first, little at a time will remove the white mark and your boo boo can be waxed out for good..... ::)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hopefully you have some white paint to touch up the garage door frame or does it still look OK from the street?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Holy Zombie Thread, Batman! 4 1/2 years and it comes back. :eek: ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts