GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was thinking about customizing my chrome rims and was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience, or knowledge in, painting chrome. My limited knowledge suggests that it can't be done effectively directly on the chrome. Since it is such a hard and smooth surface, the paint likely would not adhere to it properly to last without flaking off. I'm thinking I would need the wheels either acid dipped or sandblasted down to the bare material before paint can be applied. I'm not looking to paint the entire rim, just certain parts to counter the chrome. Is this correct, or does anyone have a different sense of this? Any professional painters/body shop folks here?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I can tell you from experience probably about 20 years ago that you can't just scuff the surface, tried it on a '65 Chevy bumper & no-go. It flaked off terribly in a short period of time.

There is a place called Eastwood that carries a lot of specialty coatings. I have used their black wheel paint on three sets of wheels and it has held up very well. All were regular aluminum though, so this doesn't answer your question in that respect. I'd think sandblasting would be effective and fairly reasonable if there is someplace closeby you could have it done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts