GMC Acadia Forum banner

Paint chips

23K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  elliotjames 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced paint chips from door dings? I was surprised how "thin" the paint was on my Acadia. I was opening my drives door and did a "controlled" touch against a cart barrier at a local supermarket barely touching it and my paint chipped down to the metal.

I also noticed a similar chip on my back passenger side door. Being that my car is Jewel-coat-Red the chips are very noticable.

As GREAT as the Acadia is I would think they would put better paint on the car.

I went to the dealer and order touch up paint but this doesn't leave me feeling too good considering stones are always a chip danger.

Anyone else having problems with thin coats of paint?

#2 ·
I have a red jewel as well and it chips like crazy. My poor Acadia. I accidentally bumped it with the gas nozzle when filling up one time and it left a really nice chip in the paint. I *barely* bumped into it! *sigh* :eek:hno:

#3 ·
Red Jewel here too. 1800 miles and chipless. Maybe I need to get my touch up paint on order now. :(

#4 ·
Web Raven said:
I have a red jewel as well and it chips like crazy. My poor Acadia. I accidentally bumped it with the gas nozzle when filling up one time and it left a really nice chip in the paint. I *barely* bumped into it! *sigh* :eek:hno:
That's how my two chips were done. By barely touching it. Kind of makes you made when you drop 40K into a car and they can't even bother putting two coats of paint on it.

#5 ·
same here. red jewel, paint chips near the passenger side handle. ****** annoying. cheap worthless paint that we paid EXTRA for... :angryfire:

guess we should get some touchup paint. at this rate it won't last us 10 years it'll be down to the primer coat and look like it went through a sandstorm. Ours is a 2008 acadia.

#6 ·
07 Carbon Metallic and no piant chips so far. Given this and other threads, I thought I might, particularly since we drive on gravel roads a fair bit.

Several months ago, I received a nice "bonus" from my dealer, a small box with a tube of touch up paint. Nice gesture.

Wonder if this thread should be re-titled, "Paint Chips - Red Jewel"?

#7 ·
I have a few as well. I told my husband that this 6 month old car had more chips and scrapes than my 5 year old Volvo. The latest was my daughter opening the back door and lightly hit the car next to us. No ding or chip on the other car, but another pinky sized chip out of my paint.

The problem is, the red is BEAUTIFUL. When it is clean it sparkles. I can park it in a crowded parking lot and can stand at the store and can pick out my red because it just shines! I have at least one person a week just comment on the color.

#9 ·
Just out of curiosity, are you guys polishing and sealing (waxing) your vehicles? I Zaino'd mine righ after delivery and my Cocoa has no chips. I am sure a nice coat of wax will help somewhat.

#12 ·
is this problem isolated to 07 owners? any 08 owners having this kind of problems? it would be helpful if you state your year model and its corresponding color...

#14 ·
I posted in another thread about the White Diamond being discontinued. It is to be replaced by Platinum Ice. The Metallic Brown has metal flake also. That is what I have now. I will be watching for chipping. The 07 I had with White Diamond chipped fairly easily. :-[

#18 ·
SioXie said:
is this problem isolated to 07 owners? any 08 owners having this kind of problems? it would be helpful if you state your year model and its corresponding color...
I don't think this is limited to the Acadia. The 06 Summit White Pontiac Torrent I traded in had similar issues
with the paint chipping fairly easily.

#22 ·
Truth be told the thinner the paint the better the adhesion. As with any paint job preparation if the surface is key. Red jewel is a tint coat. What that means is that they put color in the clear coat.

#23 ·
10K on ours and no chips as of last week when last put a sealant coat on it. There is one mark on the rear hatch door where accidently swung up and hit raised garage door. Those having paint chip problem, wondering if they clayed and waxed it in less than 30 days from when it was built. Paint will take FULL 30 days to cure, then you can go to work on it.

#25 ·
I have a liquid silver 07 Acadia. I live in an area where we have moderate snow requiring the application of sand on the streets for safe traction. I baby my Acadia, keep it in the garage, keep it clean even in the winter and bought a protective "bra" for the front. With all of my efforts and driving the car as little as I can in the winter, the front end area, the "a" pillers and especially the mirrors are very "chipped". The paint on this car is extremely thin and not very durable. How disappointing that such a nice car has such poor paint.

#26 ·
Carbon black here, 2 marks on the hood, 1 on the A-pillar, and 2 on the driver mirror. Very small, but they are present. :'(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.