GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 09 Acadia a year or so back, changed the coils on it about 2 months ago. A few days ago my Girlfriend was driving home and it died on her. I went and started it up where she was and it sounded rough, bogging down and when you press the accelerator it went to about 1500 RPM and died. When I finally got it back home we rented a code scanner from Auto Zone and the code came up p050a. A lot of what i read says its the Idle Air Control. Well since its a Electronic Throttle body, it seemed as if it pointed back to the ECM and Throttle body. I replaced the whole throttle body, performed the learn procedure and it still sounds horrible and wont start. When you finally get it to fire up, it sounds like what a horrible exhaust leak would sound like. It runs for maybe 1-3 seconds and shuts off. Any ideas or helpful hints perhaps please? I am in desperate need and even that 100 dollars for a mechanic to tell me is fine but the problem is getting it to the mechanic. Towing is not possible for me atm.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Some of the online documents related to P050A mention dirty MAF, faulty wiring, failing engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor, and a few other things to check before considering an ECM/PCM failure. Here's one such document: https://www.obd-codes.com/p050a. There are others. If you have the proper tools, check for a faulty ECT before you change anything else. It is a Cold Start-related code.

You'll find a link to download a factory service manual (FSM) in several threads of the forum It might not be the same year, but it is for the same engine. The FSM should have a good diagnostic chart for tracking down the problem.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Some of the online documents related to P050A mention dirty MAF, faulty wiring, failing engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor, and a few other things to check before considering an ECM/PCM failure. Here's one such document: https://www.obd-codes.com/p050a. There are others. If you have the proper tools, check for a faulty ECT before you change anything else. It is a Cold Start-related code.

You'll find a link to download a factory service manual (FSM) in several threads of the forum It might not be the same year, but it is for the same engine. The FSM should have a good diagnostic chart for tracking down the problem.
+1....a good diagnostic chart or troubleshooting checklist is a must have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trouble Code Conditions:
DTC P1635 not set, engine started, and the ECM detected the Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) signal was less than 0.48v for 9 seconds. The sensor range is 0.5v (0 psi) to 4.5v (128 psi).
Possible Causes:

• * Engine oil level it too low
  • * EOP sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground
  • * EOP sensor VREF circuit is open
  • * EOP sensor is damaged or has failed
  • * Instrument Cluster or ECM has failed
This is what comes up from the Chilton Library. I don't get it!! lol

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Got any oil in the engine? Maybe GF ran it low on oil and that's why it quit running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oil was a bit low, nothing to be concerned with though. That's why this is kinda of confusing. Some websites are telling me 1 thing, others another, and the 1 i usually go to is telling me another lol

·
Registered
423 Posts
P1635 not being set means the PCM expected a voltage range between 0.45 and 4.5V on the MAF and EOP sensor circuits and the PCM did not get that voltage range.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
I'm surprised the Chilton manual doesn't list a failed oil pump as another possible cause. :shrug:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 09 Acadia a year or so back, changed the coils on it about 2 months ago. A few days ago my Girlfriend was driving home and it died on her. I went and started it up where she was and it sounded rough, bogging down and when you press the accelerator it went to about 1500 RPM and died. When I finally got it back home we rented a code scanner from Auto Zone and the code came up p050a. A lot of what i read says its the Idle Air Control. Well since its a Electronic Throttle body, it seemed as if it pointed back to the ECM and Throttle body. I replaced the whole throttle body, performed the learn procedure and it still sounds horrible and wont start. When you finally get it to fire up, it sounds like what a horrible exhaust leak would sound like. It runs for maybe 1-3 seconds and shuts off. Any ideas or helpful hints perhaps please? I am in desperate need and even that 100 dollars for a mechanic to tell me is fine but the problem is getting it to the mechanic. Towing is not possible for me atm.
Same 3xact thing here.. what was outcome.. fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the culprit???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts