GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2017 Acadia. It only does it on the the interstate and not local driving. My gmc dealership quoted me $900 and then a local garage quoted me half. I was told it’s mainly labor fee because of where the thermostat is located. Apparently, these cars are known to have that issue. Good luck!

Have you replaced it at the local garage? If so, did it fix the issue? I am taking my car to the dealership I normally go to on Thursday. They told me that they are going to diagnose it and if they find the same issue of it being to replace the thermostat then they won't charge me $155 for the diagnose of it. I just hope this fixes the issue. Is your car throwing the code P0128 too? Mine is and also code U0401, not sure about the "U" code as it says Power Steering Control Module - Invalid Data Received from Engine Control Module, I am thinking its throwing that one cause of the "P" code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you replaced it at the local garage? If so, did it fix the issue? I am taking my car to the dealership I normally go to on Thursday. They told me that they are going to diagnose it and if they find the same issue of it being to replace the thermostat then they won't charge me $155 for the diagnose of it. I just hope this fixes the issue. Is your car throwing the code P0128 too? Mine is and also code U0401, not sure about the "U" code as it says Power Steering Control Module - Invalid Data Received from Engine Control Module, I am thinking its throwing that one cause of the "P" code.
I was getting the P0128 code. Fan running and ac stopped working, driving steering assistant
I haven’t replaced it yet. When I took it to the garage, he reset it to buy me some time. I was getting the P0128 code as well. Fan running and ac stopped, steering assist reduced. I’ll be curious to see what the dealership charges you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was getting the P0128 code. Fan running and ac stopped working, driving steering assistant
I haven’t replaced it yet. When I took it to the garage, he reset it to buy me some time. I was getting the P0128 code as well. Fan running and ac stopped, steering assist reduced. I’ll be curious to see what the dealership charges you.
They quoted me already with just asking how much would it be to replace my thermostat of $515 and change. I was quoted from another dealership who told me I needed to replace of $725 but I don’t care for that dealership and it’s not my normal one I usually take my car too. So the one I like is quoting me cheaper. We shall see Tuesday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They quoted me already with just asking how much would it be to replace my thermostat of $515 and change. I was quoted from another dealership who told me I needed to replace of $725 but I don’t care for that dealership and it’s not my normal one I usually take my car too. So the one I like is quoting me cheaper. We shall see Tuesday.
$515 sounds better than $725. Unfortunate to deal with on such a nice vehicle. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
23,547 Posts
If it's a GM dealer, they might surprise you and repair it under the vehicle's warranty. 'New car' warranties apply even if the vehicle was purchased used as long as warranty criteria with respect to time and mileage are met.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it's a GM dealer, they might surprise you and repair it under the vehicle's warranty. 'New car' warranties apply even if the vehicle was purchased used as long as warranty criteria with respect to time and mileage are met.
I had my local garage change my sensor with a GM sensor, and it was done in 1.5 hours whereas the dealer wanted to charge 4.5 hours. This didn't solve the issue, so I went to the dealership who gave me a special discount, and after testing the vehicle stated it was the thermostat. They quoted me $1280, but the parts accounted for $200 of that. My local garage purchased GM parts for much less, and will install these tomorrow. I am expecting a bill of 1/3 of the dealership. It has all the same issues as stated in this post.. .. fan running, no ac, power steering assist, gauge shuts down..all intermittent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had my local garage change my sensor with a GM sensor, and it was done in 1.5 hours whereas the dealer wanted to charge 4.5 hours. This didn't solve the issue, so I went to the dealership who gave me a special discount, and after testing the vehicle stated it was the thermostat. They quoted me $1280, but the parts accounted for $200 of that. My local garage purchased GM parts for much less, and will install these tomorrow. I am expecting a bill of 1/3 of the dealership. It has all the same issues as stated in this post.. .. fan running, no ac, power steering assist, gauge shuts down..all intermittent.
Finally after $1000 it was a broken wire inside of the connector at the sensor.

·
Registered
2017 GMC Acadia SLE V6
11 Posts
My 2017 is doing the same thing. It just seems fishy as it started right after my warranty expired. GM knows what is going on as I see it happening all the time. Bad part is you can no longer find the thermostat online and my dealership quoted $1500 to fix. This will be the last GM product I ever own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2017 is doing the same thing. It just seems fishy as it started right after my warranty expired. GM knows what is going on as I see it happening all the time. Bad part is you can no longer find the thermostat online and my dealership quoted $1500 to fix. This will be the last GM product I ever own.
It's probably not even the thermostat. A bunch of people with the 2017 Acadia Denali have experienced that same exact symptoms as have I. It seems that if you unplug the Negative Battery Terminal that it clears these errors and everything starts working normally again. It worked for me.

I almost dropped $1400 to have the thermostat replaced. Then I did the battery terminal thing and cleared the errors. If it was the thermostat like I thought then the issue would have came right back as I have been driving it all over town and it's been in the 90s here in Arizona already. Been a week now and everything is working fine.

I think this is just another software gremlin with the 2017 Denali.

·
Registered
2017 GMC Acadia SLE V6
11 Posts
It's probably not even the thermostat. A bunch of people with the 2017 Acadia Denali have experienced that same exact symptoms as have I. It seems that if you unplug the Negative Battery Terminal that it clears these errors and everything starts working normally again. It worked for me.

I almost dropped $1400 to have the thermostat replaced. Then I did the battery terminal thing and cleared the errors. If it was the thermostat like I thought then the issue would have came right back as I have been driving it all over town and it's been in the 90s here in Arizona already. Been a week now and everything is working fine.

I think this is just another software gremlin with the 2017 Denali.
Mine is not a Denali. I wonder if it will work on the other new body style models?

·
Registered
2017 GMC Acadia SLE V6
11 Posts
If you are having the same symptoms ("steering assist reduced" message, Temp Gauge bottomed out, A/C not working, check engine light on) then it is worth trying.
Defined will. Better than the $1500 quoted to replace thermostat. If that resets the issue then GM needs to figure out a fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are having the same symptoms ("steering assist reduced" message, Temp Gauge bottomed out, A/C not working, check engine light on) then it is worth trying.
Mike, I think you just saved me a whole weekend (full of cursing) and $150 parts to replace the thermostat and temp sensor myself, or $700 at a shop, or $1300 at my local GMC dealer. My '17 Denali had all the symptoms-- steering assist error, no coolant temp, fan running full blast, and no AC. I was about to order the parts, had already watched a couple YouTube vidoes to figure out if I could do it myself or not. Saw your post and thought, what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

So, I go to loosen the negative battery terminal... but it's already loose. Dealer replaced the battery three months ago, and apparently didn't adequately tighten the terminal nut. BUT! It didn't work right away-- it still gave me the error, no AC, etc., and I was still bummed. After about two cycles of 10-15 miles driving, engine off, start again, BOOM, the software must have finally reset. Temp gauge working, AC blasting cold, no steering assist error.

Anyway, thank you, Mike!!!

TL;DR: CHECK YOUR BATTERY CONNECTIONS FIRST! THESE SYMPTOMS CAN BE PRODUCED BY A LOOSE TERMINAL CONNECTION!

·
Registered
2017 GMC Acadia SLE V6
11 Posts
Yep, worked for me. Well you cannot tell me it is a thermostat issue (as the dealership has). I am not too proud to just keep removing the negative cable every time it happens. Sure does beat spending $1500 on a problem that will not be fixed anyway. Love this forum and huge thanks to Mike.

·
Super Moderator
23,547 Posts
Ok guys removing the negative cable resets the issue but it keeps coming back. Is there anything else that needs to be completed? Update, etc...
Follow what the dealer's service center has told you. Seems to have worked out for a lot of folks. Read through the other threads about it and you'll see. You just might enjoy some humble pie. lol

·
Registered
2017 GMC Acadia SLE V6
11 Posts
Follow what the dealer's service center has told you. Seems to have worked out for a lot of folks. Read through the other threads about it and you'll see. You just might enjoy your humble pie. lol
What are you talking about with service center? I was not asking for a smart response. Just looking at other options.

·
Super Moderator
23,547 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok guys removing the negative cable resets the issue but it keeps coming back. Is there anything else that needs to be completed? Update, etc...
If it keeps coming back then it might be an actual issue with the thermostat or one of the sensors. Sorry the battery reset didn't work for you.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts