GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,280 Posts
Did you change the crankshaft sprocket, too? The code suggests either crankshaft reluctor isn't aligned with TDC, or there's a problem with the Bank 1 chain tensioner since you already replaced the chains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Installed a brand new crankshaft sprocket. The kit I bought had the chains, tensioners, sprocket gears

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do some googling on GM P0008.
Sure did but only posted what I could confirm. If you found something that would help the OP can you please post that to steer them in the right direction? I would hate to see them have to take things apart for no reason nor would I like to see them waste time chasing a false lead. Below was the best summary of the event I could find.

From GM service information for P0008 and P0009: The engine control module (ECM) tests for a misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine and the crankshaft. The misalignment would be at an idler sprocket for either bank or at the crankshaft. Once the ECM learns the position of both camshafts on one bank of the engine, the ECM compares the learned values to a reference value. The ECM will set a DTC if both learned values for one bank of the engine are exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction.

Conditions for Setting the DTC: The ECM detects that both camshafts on either bank of the engine are mis-aligned with the crankshaft for more than 4 seconds or a cumulative of 50 seconds.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Sure did but only posted what I could confirm. If you found something that would help the OP can you please post that to steer them in the right direction? I would hate to see them have to take things apart for no reason nor would I like to see them waste time chasing a false lead. Below was the best summary of the event I could find.

From GM service information for P0008 and P0009: The engine control module (ECM) tests for a misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine and the crankshaft. The misalignment would be at an idler sprocket for either bank or at the crankshaft. Once the ECM learns the position of both camshafts on one bank of the engine, the ECM compares the learned values to a reference value. The ECM will set a DTC if both learned values for one bank of the engine are exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction.

Conditions for Setting the DTC: The ECM detects that both camshafts on either bank of the engine are mis-aligned with the crankshaft for more than 4 seconds or a cumulative of 50 seconds.

from that site.......
"General Motors – It seems that a great many of the P0008 cases reported involve much of the lineup of GM vehicles. For most, the fix has been to replace the timing chains, including the tensioner and sliders in some cases, and to recalibrate the ECM. The ECM recalibration seems to be along the lines of loosening tolerances for the alignment."

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Many possible causes for a random misfire on multiple cylinders......

• Faulty or worn spark plugs *
  • Faulty spark plug wires or coils *
  • Distributor failure *
  • Faulty fuel injector *
  • Vacuum leak
  • Low fuel pressure
  • Camshaft sensor defective
  • Crankshaft sensor defective
  • Engine timing off
  • Leaking head gasket
  • Low engine compression

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
2009 GMC ACADIA CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OFF NOT COMMUNICATING BUT THE SCANNER GIVES ME THE FOLLOWING CODES P0008, P0016, P0017. This is the same car that had all new timing gears replaced, sensors, oil pump, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts