GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Acadia Slt-1 with 169+++ miles on it. Temp gauge starts to climb when idle like when waiting in line at a drive-thru when it's about 70 to 100° weather. Gets hot after A/C running for about 45 minutes but only when it's idle. Once going down the highway the temp goes back to normal. Any suggestions on where I should start troubleshooting? Thermostat, radiator, fans etc.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Checked the coolant level?... at the radiator?
If it has a rad cap?(my 13 equinox with 3.6 has no rad cap)
Not sure if the water pumps on the 2nd gens are a known weak point like the 1st gens

·
Registered
447 Posts
I can only speak to my experience with the V92 towing package, but check all transmission related issues. I've had an overfilled transmission cause overheating, a small trans line leak cause overheating, and debris in the shared radiator (mostly trans related) cause overheating. Once all these issues were corrected, my overheating conditions went away. The 6T75 seems to be VERY sensitive to optimal operating conditions.

I can't say I've had overheating at idle, but I have had overheating at light load, which ended up being the transmission line issue and a separate time, debris in the radiator. You might have a bigger problem, but even a very small leak caused me to spike 10 degrees over nominal. None of these were DIC warning overheats, but enough to indicate that something was wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like an electric fan issue?

Rolling down the highway you have vehicle speed producing airflow across the radiator, but when you're in stop n go, idling not moving the electric fan has to produce the airflow. You should be able to hear the fan running if it's going to full speed trying to lower your higher temperature at an idle and/or with A/C on. Open the hood when it's starting to climb past the normal temp gauge range, and listen and look at the fan behind the radiator to make sure there's air moving and it's spinning. A flashlight usually helps for this shined directly at the fan blade.

HTH, and good luck!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Thermostat, fans, fan relays . . . Check if the fan comes on and more air flow with A/C on too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
@Spicybrown13 : very commonly caused by low coolant - especially in your mileage range. Recently noticed the same thing occurring with my 2011 Equinox (@175,000 miles).

Can you catch a whiff of coolant in the air after you get out of the vehicle? If not, try popping the hood after a drive and checking if you can smell it that way. Has anyone had to add any coolant (maybe a coolant fee on a Service Bill)? I added a little coolant to my Equinox. I noticed my problem about halfway through a 900-mile drive. Heard the cooling fans coming ON way more than usual...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts