GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Sorry long post but lots of info here......

My first post on the list. Since I found it earlier this month I've gathered some great info about your Acadias. Thanks to all of you on the list. Maybe I can supply some info now too. I have an issue with the 19" Goodyear Eagle RS-A's I'd like some feedback on if you would. Jump down a few paragraphs for the tire question if you want.....

About our ride. It's an 07 FWD SLT2, White Diamond Tricoat, Titanium interior. We took delivery off the lot on July 10, traded in our 02 Envoy XLT 4WD, which we really hated to let go. The Envoy had more torque but the Acadia gets super gas mileage in comparison so that's better for us now. We saw our first Acadia at the Barratt Jackson antique car auction in March(GM had a display there), and raved about it. This is clearly the best vehicle we've ever owned. I've had a dozen or so new cars over time. BTW I added the GMC vent visors(drip reducer), GMC contoured splash guards(saves the rocker paint) and the Stainless Steel running boards(easier in/out with the 19" rollers which saves the outer edge of the seats).
On July 12, 2 days after we got it, we loaded up the Acadia for a 5 week vacation, along with 2 Cocker Spaniels in the back center section and left Florida for a trip to New England(~1600 miles), put about 4500 more miles on it up there, then to Ohio(~900 miles), then back down to Florida(~1200 miles), a total of over 8200 miles in 6 weeks. BTW, hwy mileage on the flat roads was about 26-27, hills in NE about 22-23 mpg. Best hwy in the Envoy was 21-22.
Other than a bad external tailgate switch and a gate lift strut that went bad, it's been great. My take on the switch is that at a hotel in Ohio the morning we left it was pouring out and the gate was open for a while, filled up the license plate well with water and damaged the switch. Interestingly it didn't go bad for a few days, then back in the Florida sun it fixed itself after opening and closing by itself! I even called Onstar and asked if they opened it. They didn't. Strange fluke. Dealer got an error code that was stored that the switch was bad and replaced it. Been ok since. A few minor problems with an engineering marvel doesn't bother me. That's what warranties are for. It is certainly a great vehicle!

Now, the tires! Goodyear Eagle RS-A 255/60R19. Never had any issues when new, but after a few thousand miles on our trip we started getting a whining sound from the rear, or front, or both, almost like a pair of bad wheel bearings. Since we got back we had it at the dealer twice and they reported it to GM. They checked tires and bearings and all was ok. It happens in forward gear or in neautral. It starts to get noticeable at around 25-35 mph, annoying at 40, and downright aggravating at 45-50. At 65-70 the highway noise muffles it out. Rotated tires at 6k miles, and no tread issues at the tire shop I had it at. The tires look perfect.
I found out today that others have the same issue with these tires on many vehicles. I checked a few web tire sales places and found in several ratings that this is common and people are very unhappy with them. It must be a tread design issue, that changes after several thousand miles causing the annoying whine. These are 260 treadwear tires, which I didn't like to see when I looked at this vehicle at first. They're classified as high performance all-season. I have also found they do not have very good rain traction. I wouldn''t want to use them in snow.
This afternoon I called the service manager at my GMC dealer, told him my findings, and have an appt tomorrow. He said they will replace the tires with a different manufacturer after they check out the vehicle again to prove it's tires. I would welcome them to swap all 4 with another Acadia on the lot but they ran out of them. A hot seller for sure, we all know why! I did some research and the only other available tire is the Michelin Latitude Tour and they sound great, with a 620 treadwear rating to boot. He said they have to order the new tires so it'll be a week or so before the new rubber arrives. I'll let you know how it goes.

Please share your stories if you have a similar tire issue, and thanks for the info you've all shared on this forum.

Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Rich, First of all welcome to the forum!! And welcome to Acadia ownership. I've had my '08 WD with titanium since Aug 18. I read your entire post. Great info. I haven't had any issues with my tires (at least not yet). But I'm glad to see there is a Michelin available for it, and it has a 620 treadwear rating. That 260 rating on the Goodyears will likely give about 25k miles of life in my experience. 620 should put those at about 60k miles likely. i really liked your comemnt about the step rails. I test drove a used one with the rails and I liked the way they looked and didn't really think too much about using them for practical purposes like eliminating the wear on the edge of the seat, but i have consciously thought about how the weat edge will likely wear prematurely when you slide your hip across it everytime you get in. Now you've given me reason to really go get a set for practical purposes and not just visual appeal. I also have the sunroof wind deflector (love it) and the ft and rear GMC splash guards, as well as the GMC rubber cargo mat (very practical IMO). Just added the GM Lockpick for unlocking nav/xm/DVD. Tinted front dooer glass wraps up my newly added accessories. Again, welcome!! And post pics of your new Acadia!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sounds exactly like my SLT2. I notice it is annoying around 60 MPH on smooth roads. If on coarser pavement the road noise cancels it out. I too was thinking bearings but had heard from others on here about the tire issue. I just heard today about the non Goodyear tires. I hope they relace your tires. I figure I will live with it for a while, maybe my first oil change around 10,000 miles. That way I can use up some of these tires and get 4 new ones. Another thought is to wait until the tires are nearing replacement anyway and see if the dealer will get me new ones under warranty. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Again,

Thanks for the welcome.....Yes the step rails are nice looking as well as a seat saver. What's the "GM Lockpick"? I haven't heard of it before. I'll get some pictures soon too.

So...........
Results in from the dealer visit today. This was the 3rd time in for the noise issue. They scoped out the tires, rotated and redrove it and the same noise was heard. Rotated back to original. I was really figuring the tires were the culprit. After a while back on the lift they brought the car out with the results and the tech approached me with the news. "Right Rear Wheel Bearing Bad"! He said it varies on hard right or left turns. I said that to them on the 1st visit. I said "It sure sounds like a wheel bearing to me". So the moral of the story is keep on them and they'll figure it out. They ordered the part, due in next week. I will only be sure after that. I'm still suspicious of the tires though as others have had noise problems on other vehicles too. We'll see next week. I'll repost then with the results. I just want the noise to go away.

Keith,
I read your reply and saw this the other day. Check out the TSB's on the front page of the forum list about the Goodyear Fortera tires. Exact problem on early fabs. Are yours the 18" Forteras?

"#PIT4377 Hum Or Moan Noise When Driving 66-70 MPH On A Smooth Road -

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Our New Ride, Noise Problem Solved!!!!

Hi All,

Today my GMC dealer fixed the noise problem. It was in fact the right rear wheel bearing/hub assembly. It took over a week to get the part in and schedule the warranty repair. After replacement, the technician and I went for a drive and all was quiet! Noise gone! Tech's opinion is that it was just a defective bearing assembly and not a major flaw. Hopefully he was right. This is a great vehicle and I now feel more confident in the service department at my dealer as well.

I retract my suspicions about the Goodyear RS-A tires now that the problem is solved.

Rich

richmz said:
Hi Again,

Thanks for the welcome.....Yes the step rails are nice looking as well as a seat saver. What's the "GM Lockpick"? I haven't heard of it before. I'll get some pictures soon too.

So...........
Results in from the dealer visit today. This was the 3rd time in for the noise issue. They scoped out the tires, rotated and redrove it and the same noise was heard. Rotated back to original. I was really figuring the tires were the culprit. After a while back on the lift they brought the car out with the results and the tech approached me with the news. "Right Rear Wheel Bearing Bad"! He said it varies on hard right or left turns. I said that to them on the 1st visit. I said "It sure sounds like a wheel bearing to me". So the moral of the story is keep on them and they'll figure it out. They ordered the part, due in next week. I will only be sure after that. I'm still suspicious of the tires though as others have had noise problems on other vehicles too. We'll see next week. I'll repost then with the results. I just want the noise to go away.

Keith,
I read your reply and saw this the other day. Check out the TSB's on the front page of the forum list about the Goodyear Fortera tires. Exact problem on early fabs. Are yours the 18" Forteras?

"#PIT4377 Hum Or Moan Noise When Driving 66-70 MPH On A Smooth Road -

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rich, I'm glad you got your problem worked out with the wheel bearing. I hope that's not going to be another widespread issue. I love our Acadia but the one thing that really concerned me when I bought it was the Goodyear RSA Tires. As a law enforcement officer I drive a Ford Crown Victoria everyday with Goodyear RSA's on it. I normally average about 10,000 to 15,000 miles on those before they wear out. Now I do have to say I drive that car harder than I ever would the Acadia. They are horrible in the rain on the Crown Vic. I have had very good traction though in the rain in the Acadia. I think that's due to the weight of the Acadia or maybe the larger size - 19 inch compared to 17. I had two Toyota 4Runners before we traded for the Acadia and I used Michelin LTX M/S on them. I got almost 80,000 miles on the first 4Runner with the Michelins and 50,000 with 8/32nds of tread left on the second 4Runner when we traded for the Acadia. I wish Michelin would make the LTX in the size for the Acadia, I'd buy them tomorrow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Yes I'm very glad the noise problem is solved. While mine was being serviced yesterday I drove a brand new 07 with the 19" RS-A's that was for sale in the lot with my salesman. It was fine. No noise form the tires. I did this mainly to show him the quietness, and if the problem wasn't corrected on mine to take him out in that to hear for himself. That fortunately wasn't necessary.

So yes I still have concerns about the tires' treadwear longevity. I hated to see the Treadwear (260) rating on them before we bought the Acadia. I know they will not last long, especially being OEM supplied. I have a pet peve with the manufacturers and their process of supplying OEM tires. I have a definite suspicion, that the tire manufacturers supply OEM tires that may be labeled a certian way, but in fact the treadwear is much less than described. Case in point...................

In April '01 I bought a brand new 02 Envoy SLT 4WD, with Michelin Cross-Terrains, TW rating 420. At 37,000 miles they were worn out, close to wearbars. I expected 65,000 treadwear, which is what the warranty is if you bought new ones at a tire dealer. I bought 3 new ones, and swapped rims with the unused spare for the 4th. I complained to Michelin, and with my tire dealer representation and measurement verification, I got a substantial check in the mail as compensation. They didn't give me any difficulty in this situation. I think they new I was on to something. They made me happy but I still felt there was more to the story. As time went by............
At 85,000 miles, the original(OEM)spare that was mounted and used with the 3 new ones was worn considerably more than the 3 new ones. Driving habits unchanged. A total of 46,000 miles on this 2nd set(of 3), nearly 10,000 more miles than the OEM's.

Just food for thought....

Rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also had the same whining noise issue on my 2007 Acadia. The dealer replaced the right rear wheel bearing/hub assembly in October 2007 and this remedied the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts