GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Acadia SLT FWD V6
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Sure there are numerous manufacturers available today that may offer more power for a cheaper price but ever since the early 90s when I was involved, the absolute LEADER in SPL competition was always ORION. Their amps are rated at .05% distortion while others are around 10% !! No, they are not cheap, but if you really want to blow out windshields, crack windows in homes a mile away, you need this setup! The acadia is huge, and can easily hold 2 18s or 4 15s in a full wall enclosure.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Is Precision Power still a big player?

·
Registered
723 Posts
My Acadia stereo sucks, but it's OK with me. I have a good home set up for music soothing my soul.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Not so much anymore, but they have new products out. However, since they dont list their distortion ratio or required input voltage to achieve their numbers, you have to wonder how "dirty" their amps are. I have been watching dyno videos of Orion amps vs current models from Sundown and others, but the Orion models just kill it! They make WAY more power at less voltage with less distortion. Their 3000W amp for $650 actually puts out 7500! That's insane!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Acadia stereo sucks, but it's OK with me. I have a good home set up for music soothing my soul.
Factory always sucks! Just a simple speaker upgrade can do wonders for sound quality. Same radio, wiring, and factory amp but just different speakers and the sound cleans up ten fold.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Factory always sucks! Just a simple speaker upgrade can do wonders for sound quality. Same radio, wiring, and factory amp but just different speakers and the sound cleans up ten fold.
Agree just upgrade in speakers usually helps a factory system as long as impedance matches and speaker sensitivity is as good or better.
I have a set of Sundown 3.5" dash speakers for my Colorado I want to put in. It has the "mid level" factory non Bose system in it. Very much the same as the Acadia layout and I suspect similar speakers for the non Bose (not the really cheapo 5 speaker base system.)
The Sundown 3.5" for the money, increase the clarity and definition of the mids and highs over the muddy sounding factory dash speakers. There are othrs as well, but the Sundowns fit exactly with no manicuring in the Colorado.
I think they would fit the Acadia as well although I haven't checked. I just got the Sundowns on a deal and others on the Colorado forum have noted a good improvement.
The Bose in our Acadia SLT-1 is ok and much better than the stock Colorado system. Not thumping bass but decent and clear.
I really hate it when vocals are so muddy and unclear you can't hear them over road noise at highway speeds even playing with the tone controls.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ah Orion. Fond memories of years gone by from 4 cars ago ('02 Grand Am GT). I had an Orion XTR 275 powering a single Kicker Solo 12c. It wasn't SPL comp level, but it still vibrated my eyeballs. The rest of the system were MB Quart 6" rounds in the front doors, MBQ 1" domes in the front sail panels and MBQ 6x9s in the rear deck. Those were powered by a 600W Clarion amp.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes me want to get back into car audio again. Here was my truck from 1993, 22 speakers total, powered by a single Orion 225 HCCA. Rated for 50, pushing 400, did 151db max with a 31 on the RTA meter. Clean and loud.

FB_IMG_1420037802596.jpg IMG_0006.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts