GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on the options you got (like it, love it, hate it? ) , and what did you initially think about them?

Option... initial thoughts.... thoughts about it now.

Example:

Option: HUD
Initial: wow, thats cool, but will I ever use it? and will it get in the way? be distracting?
Current: Holy crap, how can anyone live without this thing. I almost don't even have to think in order to know how fast I am going.

Option: Autolift tailgate
Initial: How can anyone be so lazy that they wouldn't lift up a tailgate?
Current: FAVORITE OPTION!!! I can have the gate open as I pull up with my cart (Shopping, or Golf :) ), and if my hands are full, I just tap the button with my forehead (I'm 6'7"), plus I can get in after loading it up, and watch people point at it trying to tell me its up as I start my car, and then I push the button inside and it closes, and they stare :eek:

Just thought it would be a good/interesting/funny thread...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Option: HUD
Initial: I really liked the idea of having it because I keep the steering wheel low and always block my view
Current: Man I wish I had it in my car (Acadia is my wifes).

Option: Sunroof
Initial: I don't need that, costs too much, won't use it, I like my air conditioning instead and it's too noisy when open. (note: I got a GM pep vehicle and it had it on it, beggars can't be choosers with a much wanted PEP car)
Current: I still don't use it but removes the closed in feeling. I could have easily lived without it.

Option: Navigation
Initial: I know where I'm going, I don't need it.
Current: Love it, turns out now I know where I'm going.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hmmm, where to begin...

HUD
Pre-purchase: Just another gimmick.
Post-purchase: I can't live without this! Why isn't it standard on all cars?

HID
Pre-purchase: Can't live without it. Got to used to Audi xenons.
Post-purchase: Can't live without it. But it is odd that you can't "flash to pass" with these.

Auto Lights
Pre-purchase: Is this really necessary or useful?
Post-purchase: Why didn't I ever have this before? It's great!

NAV
Pre-purchase: I know where I'm going.
Post-purchase: This think is dead on and it is very useful when you want to find someplace that you can't remember the exact best route to take. Still want to tell it on occasion, "To the moon, Alice!" Which is why we named our Acadia, Alice.

DVD
Pre-purchase: It's on the car, but will we ever use it? Guess it will be good at resale.
Post-purchase: It came in handy when the nephew was visiting. Wish the dogs could wear the headphones and watch "Wallace & Grommit"! Would love to ride in the back and watch a movie, but don't want to be in divorce court. Guess it will be good at resale.

Two sunroofs
Pre-purchase: One is enough.
Post-purchase: Glad to have the front one, and the rear sunroof is a nice touch.

Rear Controls:
Pre-purchase: Who needs them?
Post-purchase: Who needs them? But, heck, they were on the vehicle and was only $150.

Roof Rails
Pre-purchase: We'll just use the existing Yakima set we have.
Post-purchase: **** it! There's no no attachment yet from Yakima. (Now there is.) Now, can't wait to get the GMC accessory on the car so we can go canoeing!

Towing
Pre-purchase: Can't wait to use it.
Post-purchase: Still waiting.... Need to figure out what drop hitch we need.

Auto-Start
Pre-purchase: That's neat.
Post-purchase: That was great on that cold morning! How nice to cool down the car before entering, now that it's summer!

·
Registered
405 Posts
nav.
pre buy: need it because its cool
post buy: wow i actully use it pratically

dvd:
pre buy: can;t live with out it because of the little ones
post buy : kids still are loud and annoying but i love the 5.1 sounds any way

remote start
pre buy: want it so i can have a loaded acadia
post buy: wow this is actully useful

power lift gate
pre buy: want it so i can have a loaded acadia
post buy: wow this is really cool

hid's
pre buy: never heard of these but i want them any way
post buy: well there cool and powerful, but every body flashes me on the road so i flash them back

hud
pre buy: wanted it because i love it on our corvette
post buy: wow this even tells me about the nav system (i dont have nav on the vette)

19" rims
pre buy: wow, i am not going to spend 1600 on rims that make my ride worse
post buy: wow, why did i spend 1600 on rims that make my ride worse

heated washer fluid

pre buy: wow, no wonder why they hate us, we design cars around our whinshields
post buy: have never neaded it because it has never gotton below freezing

heated seats
pre buy: wow, no wonder why they hate us, we design cars around our butt's
post buy: never used them becasue it has never been cold enough since i bought it

auto lights
pre buy: have them on almost every other car we have and their free, so why not
post buy: knew what to expect, the lights turn on when its dark or when i turn my wipers on

memory seats

pre buy: a must, i have them on most other cars and love them
post buy : love them

towing
pre buy: wow, i dont need it, i will never tow with this car
post buy: wow, i dont need it, i never tow with this car

sunroof

pre buy: would have liked just the front sunroof
post buy: the second sun roof is acully nice for light and watching a thunder storm while having some one else drive i love it, and the cover does a preety good job about blocking light and heat.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
HUD: Thought it was a gimmick until I saw it in use. Now I love it.

Sunroof: Was warry about the fabric cover design, and now wish I had not got it.

Remote start: Came with a package, find it pretty cool.

Power lift gate: Thought it would be nice but not necessary; not sorry I did not get it.

Nav: Thought a portable system more flexible; I love my Garmin Nuvi and am not sorry I didn't pay $2,000 for the built-in model.

Heated seats: I never understood them until the first time I used them in cold weather (on a prior vehicle); now I would not buy a vehicle without them.

Kelly

Kelly

·
Registered
110 Posts
HUD: Had it on a corvette. I liked it then and I still like it. It should be on every vehicle.

Sunroof: Too pricey. Don't need two of them. Wife wanted it, so I got it.

Remote Start: Worth every penny. I've used it quite a bit to cool down the vehicle before entry. The reverse will be true for winter.

Power Lift Gate: Thought it would be a waste of money. It came with the vehicle I bought and now I love it.

Nav: I have nav on my G35 coupe and I hardly use it. Not worth the money.

Heated seats: I will not buy a vehicle without heated seats. Worth every penny.

Heated Washer Fluid: I have not used them but will be very handy come winter.

AC power outlet: Has been used many times for the portable dvd player and cell phones. Worth the purchase.

Rear audio controls: Came with the vehicle. Not worth the money.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Memory seats - This was the reason we went with the SLT-2 package. The other SLT-2 stuff like 115-volt outlet, heated washer fluid, power liftgate, etc. I didn't really have to think about whether we wanted because I had to get the SLT-2 for the memory seats. We've never had them before but have always wanted them because my wife tends to drive our larger vehicle during the week and I drive it when we're all together as a family. Already we love them.

HUD - Really wanted it because steering wheel tends to block my wifes view of speedometer. We aren't disappointed.

Sunroof - May have got this if I was the primary driver, but my wife hates them and I know it would never get used enough.

DVD - Call me old-fashioned but there are two places I don't allow my kids to have TV - in their rooms and in the car. God forbid they should have to - gasp - read something or look out the window at our beautiful country on long trips.

Nav - Wouldn't use it enough to justify it. The backup camera would be nice but not at $2k.

19" wheels - I'm just not a wheel guy. The 18's looked fine to me.

Trailering - Bought this as a "just in case" since I tend to keep my vehicles a long time. For $425 it's nice insurance if I ever need to pull a trailer, add a bike rack, etc.

HID's - I was pretty indifferent on these so I didn't spend the money.

·
Registered
405 Posts
loach said:
DVD - Call me old-fashioned but there are two places I don't allow my kids to have TV - in their rooms and in the car. God forbid they should have to - gasp - read something or look out the window at our beautiful country on long trips.
omg you make your kids read, JK. i can see the car but why not their rooms. I admit i watch too much tv, but it is a must have in the car and in their rooms to keep them quiet and out of my hair.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
loach said:
omg you make your kids read, JK. i can see the car but why not their rooms. I admit i watch too much tv, but it is a must have in the car and in their rooms to keep them quiet and out of my hair.
Just because I want to know what they're watching and control how much. Believe me, I like TV as much as the next guy and I have the 62 inch DLP screen to prove it, but I also just like to have some sanctuaries away from it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
loach said:
Rollin' Thunder said:
loach said:
Just because I want to know what they're watching and control how much. Believe me, I like TV as much as the next guy and I have the 62 inch DLP screen to prove it, but I also just like to have some sanctuaries away from it.
Here is a great article about how technology has effected the family road trip - The Family Road Trip: Strangers in a Minivan
When I was young, driving cross-country was a shared experience. Today, we're all traveling solo.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19358328/site/newsweek/

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
loach said:
i agree w/you thunder for these reasons: i had no tv in the kids rooms my living room and the furniture was destroyed from them laying all over it, eating all over it, wasting food, drinks stuff everywhere. i thru the furniture away, got the carpet cleaned and bought them a tv for each of their rooms. now, i can keep my living room clean. when mom is happy everybody is happy :blob:

as for driving cross country which i do often w/the children and have been doing it since i was a child i am so glad they have dvd's, video games and whatever else i can find for my childrens comfort on those long long road trips. when i say cross country i mean exactly that (from california to as far east as baltimore md) not a 6 hour trip as is what most people call cross country (please :(). we talk, play games, read, draw, etc., but when i want quiet i turn on the dvd and get myself rest and prepared to drive. when i was a child all we did was sleep we were boared to death and hated those road trips :banghead: . it was hot, no a/c in cars then, crowded ,the trip seemed to go on forever, everybody :argue:and :violent: cause you're just plain tired and frustrated as a child.and please dont mention how small the cars were then. now, it doesnt even seem like we've been on the road for 3 days because there is so much to do and see now. when travelling like that our car is our santuary our home away from home (THANK GOD FOR ELECTRONICS) :thumb:

·
Registered
405 Posts
i dont mind a movie in the car every once and a while but, all the time i don't think so, but on road trips they get bored and do somthing else any way. But with the living room BEEN THERE DONE THAT. Just put a new plasma screen in there and new couch and love seat (great deal on both so i did every thing) and little lcds in their rooms so they could not wreck my den, the den is for me and me and some times my buds to watch the game in HIGH DEF. But you should have seen our old tv and furniture after the paint and water gun fight while i was out mowing the lawn. so now when i mow the lawn they each go in to their room and can only come out to use the bathroom, or get drinks. and when im busy they go in and watch tv and not be in the den which is open to the kitchen were they talk and yell and i can do my work. SO it is a life saver for electrionics i agree.

·
Registered
542 Posts
DVD- Arm twisted into it. Its OK but just a gadget

HUD- Had in my last car, a definite must have for me

Sunroof-Not a fan of sunroofs but wanted the extra light in back. Glad I got it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Option: Power Liftgate
Pre-Purchase: Looks Cool
Post-Purchase: Looks cool and is actually quite useful when our hands are filled with groceries or more often our baby.

Option: DVD
Pre-Purchase: This will come in handy when the kids are older
Post-Purchase: This will come in handy when the kids are older

Option: 115v charger
Pre-Purchase: Should come in handy
Post-Purchase: Has come in handy on numerous occassions

Option: Rear Audio Controls
Pre-Purchase: For $150, what the heck
Post-Purchase: Works great, can't wait to for Football to start so we can tailgate. First game - NIU vs. Iowa at Soldier Field!

Option: Sunroof
Pre-Purchase: Two sunroofs look cool
Post-Purchase: Front sunroof is great when it's a little cool out to open up and get some fresh air. Undecided about the second sunroof. Seems to let a lot of heat in during the summer, will be nice in the winter though.

Option I didn't get but wish I did:

HUD: Didn't think I'd use it but I haven't heard one bad thing about it.

Coolest Standard Option: Onstar - I love the map it displays on the radio during the turn by turn directions. I have no
idea how they do that but its cool. One question - Does that map show up on the HUD?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Chris said:
Coolest Standard Option: Onstar - I love the map it displays on the radio during the turn by turn directions. I have noidea how they do that but its cool. One question - Does that map show up on the HUD?
If your talking about the arrow that shows up on the radio (no nav), it does not show up on the HUD. I wish it did.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
SLE: Cloth seats which we prefer.

Remote start: Wife always wanted and now has. Didn't realize how nice it is to have.

Climate Control w Bose: Finally, can keep my side cooler year round
Bose: Take it or leave it.

Heated Washer: Should work this coming winter. Was on the car sticker

On Star: Was on the car sticker. We have cell phones and use Map Quest
as wife is navigator and prefers map quest on 8 X 11 paper.
We don't ever get lost! :confused:

XM: Was on car sticker. Waste of money as burn my own CD's with continuous songs
etc. we like. Found 4 stations that are somewhat useable.

Summary: We wanted our usual cloth seats and next important was climate control
coupled with remote start. We are seniors and retire next year.
Wife tried manual lift gate and said electric was not required. Saved money!!
Sticker price was $32,000 -$3000.00 employee discount -$1000.00 other
incentives and wife has perfect Acadia she loves to drive to and from work.
More options you have, the more the car costs, and the more can go wrong/
break. IMO :eek:hno:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
teetertotter said:
More options you have, the more the car costs, and the more can go wrong/
break. IMO
Yes, but the more options you have, the more options you have to show off... :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
HUD: bought it because my wife said "That might keep me from getting a ticket"
now: Love it. It should be required on all vehicles.

Memory Seats: then- you mean I have to go with an SLT2 just to get memory seats- ok. it is required.
now: still required, and is spot on with the mirrors too (our Grand Cherokee was just a little off sometimes on mirrors)
(We actually went to a Chevy dealer to look at an Equinox and almost didn't test drive one because they lack memory seats. Probably would never buy a car for my wife without memory seats)

Liftgate: then- now that's something to break that we don't need. Comes with SLT2, well ok
now: I love opening the shuttlecraft door from halfway across the parking lot. Way cool. (probably still not necessary)

Remote Start: neat- lets get that. And came with SLT2, so it really came with memory seats anyway
now: cool. Actually with turbo-cool, sometimes I will remote start and sit in the car a minute or so before putting in the key. Wish it worked from a little farther off. Might go with the new 2-way.

Nav: Cool, I want that. $2k is too much, we will just go portable and use OnStar. Skipped the option
Now: OnStar is definately getting a renewal on turn-by-turn. Love that system, didn't need Nav radio afterall, and not getting a portable anytime soon.

DVD: wanted it for the kid
now: super system. Love the control from front seat. our 2,500 mile trip was no problem with the 3 year old.

2nd row bench: wanted it for the kid, and for the room, seemed fairly comfortable.
now: very glad we did it. The girl needs the armrest for her stuffed animals. If we had bench, we would constantly be reaching back to pick up things for her, and she can just get them herself now. I sat in row 2 for some of our trip to watch movies with my girl and it was so roomy when I moved the passenger seat up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are looking at the Acadia and are seriously thinking of purchasing one. Can you tell us exactly what the HUD is? I gather it has something to do with speed control.

We have heard there was a problem with the 6 speed transmission back in December. Has GMC made any effort to correct the problem.

Later....

Cook99

1 - 20 of 30 Posts