GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get a call this morning from one of our friends who just bought a new Acadia a few months ago after riding in ours. Here is how the conversation goes:

Her - Do you know how to remove about 6 quarters from the INSIDE of the DVD player?
Me - What?
Her - Jake (their 2 year old) decided that the slot on the DVD player in the car was a bank and stuck the quarters into it. If you put a new disc into it the player just ejects it back out. Any ideas how to get them out?
Me - Ahh, not really, but I will check around and get back to her.

Which leads me here. Any creative ideas out there?

Thanks,
Steve

PS - please spare me the obvious "what was the 2 year old doing in the front with a bag of quarters" and "how did he manage to get several of them in there before they caught him". I do not know the answer to either of them - just thought I would try to help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think your friend is SOL I am pretty sure the head unit is completely sealed with odd fasteners that makes it difficult to open up. My Nephew did the same thing to my sisters F-150 and the head unit ended up shorting out after a few days. My suggestion would be to tell your friend to take her Acadia to the dealer to see if the can retrieve the quarters out of the head unit before it shorts out. Kids you got to love them >:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea, the dealer can send it out to get them removed and check to ensure the optics on the player are ok. You need a pet barrier!!! :angel:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Is this a dash unit DVD player, or headrest mounted system?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the full dash mounted unit with the integrated DVD in it. I think they are heading to the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do. I already found them a replacement on the web for $1,000 if they want to go that route. I agree that they are screwed at this point. Car is only 2 months old - needless to say they are pissed.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Two things:  Yes, they are screwed to a point....the dealer will probably pull the unit out, and they will have the vehicle with a hole in the dash, till it gets fixed or replaced (unless there's one in stock).  And is it under warranty?...who really knows, depends on what the dealer decides to do.  Second, I fully understand the kids aspect, I have two girls.  However, I have to say they weren't watching their kid very closely because this could have been avoided.  NO kid under 10 needs to even BE in the front seat, and if so....be there with them.  I know kids will do things fast, and sometimes there's no way to catch them (at home), but in the car, put them in their car seat, and when you get to your destination, take them out, don't let them hang around the car unattended, just too much they can wreck in these expensive rides.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
scappellino said:
So I get a call this morning from one of our friends who just bought a new Acadia a few months ago after riding in ours. Here is how the conversation goes:

Her - Do you know how to remove about 6 quarters from the INSIDE of the DVD player?
Me - What?
Her - Jake (their 2 year old) decided that the slot on the DVD player in the car was a bank and stuck the quarters into it. If you put a new disc into it the player just ejects it back out. Any ideas how to get them out?
Me - Ahh, not really, but I will check around and get back to her.

Which leads me here. Any creative ideas out there?

Thanks,
Steve

PS - please spare me the obvious "what was the 2 year old doing in the front with a bag of quarters" and "how did he manage to get several of them in there before they caught him". I do not know the answer to either of them - just thought I would try to help.
I hope everything works out :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Man, that stinks. I know how she feels, my son used to "feed" the VCR oatmeal. That stuff could be used as glue!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts