GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am bracing myself for the possible barrage of wisecracks, but has anyone noticed a faint propane or natural gas smell inside the vehicle? It seems most noticeable after coming to a stop or when idling.

·
Registered
405 Posts
only smell i can smell is that BRAND NEW CAR SMELL ;D :thumb: :cheers:

but the smell make sneak through the a/c vents when you slow down from the exaust fumes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotta love that new car smell!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was told that there is some sort of sealant or something that is on the exhaust system that causes an odor. The salesman noticed it, I did not. Was told it would wear off after a bit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
you're right...this is a wide open comment...but I won't go there! There are processing oils used by the exhaust system manufacturer that will "cook off" during the initial operation. Just part of the new car experience. Should be gone within 100 miles or less!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I notice the same smell this evening. I am assuming its what the dealer mentioned. I have had my acadia for a day so will give it some more time to get broken in. If i smell it in a couple of weeks i will give the dealer a call.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I have not noticed anything, but some Saturn Outlook owners have reported such a smell on the Saturnalia web site.

Kelly

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey, maybe that is what is the RUST :angryfire:eek:n the exhaust systems that cleans up with the right amount of elbow Grease!!!
Could be the reaction to heat discolors it and causes "that smell"??????

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had purchased a new Mercedes many years ago and it had the strangest smell. The dealership told me it was something that they had put on the new cars (this is 17 years ago so I don't remember what exactly it was) but it would burn off after you drove it for a while. I also had noticed another smell, like gasoline. Called the dealer again and they said the same thing. To make a long story short, I had a subwoofer installed under the rear seat (it was more of a 2 seater not 4,little jump seats in the back) finally noticed a little puddle of gasoline on the ground. Turns out that the guys that did the speaker installation, punctured the main gas line and thats what the smell was. Could have killed us if a spark would have hit the gas while we were driving. Wierd feeling. The place was Al & Eds here in Southern California. They certainly appologized and paid approximately $2,000 to replace the gas line etc that they had damaged. I still have the vehicle, still drives great, but the Acadia is the baby now. Oh, and by the way, the car was not even a week old when I had the subwoofer put in.

·
Registered
405 Posts
luvmyacadia said:
I had purchased a new Mercedes many years ago and it had the strangest smell. The dealership told me it was something that they had put on the new cars (this is 17 years ago so I don't remember what exactly it was) but it would burn off after you drove it for a while. I also had noticed another smell, like gasoline. Called the dealer again and they said the same thing. To make a long story short, I had a subwoofer installed under the rear seat (it was more of a 2 seater not 4,little jump seats in the back) finally noticed a little puddle of gasoline on the ground. Turns out that the guys that did the speaker installation, punctured the main gas line and thats what the smell was. Could have killed us if a spark would have hit the gas while we were driving. Wierd feeling. The place was Al & Eds here in Southern California. They certainly appologized and paid approximately $2,000 to replace the gas line etc that they had damaged. I still have the vehicle, still drives great, but the Acadia is the baby now. Oh, and by the way, the car was not even a week old when I had the subwoofer put in.
don't you just love the old Mercedes Benz though. i love my mothers 450sl. But there maintenance nightmares.

·
Registered
165 Posts
acadia7j100001 said:
you're right...this is a wide open comment...but I won't go there! There are processing oils used by the exhaust system manufacturer that will "cook off" during the initial operation. Just part of the new car experience. Should be gone within 100 miles or less!
I just noticed the smell today. I have just over 500 miles on my car. We were at a stop light and we had been driving for a bit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Mercedes runs great. Its a 500 SL with only 97,000 miles on it. Unfortunately not worth very much these days. It needs to have the air conditioning and cruise control fixed. Probably cost more to fix than the car is worth. My service writer for 17 years told me it probably doesn't pay to fix it. I am deciding whether or not to keep it just for the fact it runs great and can remove the top and use it as a convertible. Its cost of repairs and insurance for the joy of having it as a convertible.

The new member of the family is the Acadia. Looks great, runs great all new technology vs. the old Mercedes that doesn't have any new technology except the XM radio I had installed years ago. Oh well, rough decisions to make in life sometimes although as they say, this should be the worst.

·
Registered
306 Posts
rollin thunder said:
don't you just love the old Mercedes Benz though. i love my mothers 450sl. But there maintenance nightmares.
I bought my wife a 450SL a few cars back--absolutely beautiful car and fun to drive. However, as you say about mx problems--the 450SL actually spent more time in the dealer's garage than it did ours--finally had them take it back under the "lemon law".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all for being kind...Except you, Racefla! LOL

My Acadia has 1,300 miles on it so I guess I'll see if it burns off.

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
405 Posts
luvmyacadia said:
The Mercedes runs great. Its a 500 SL with only 97,000 miles on it. Unfortunately not worth very much these days. It needs to have the air conditioning and cruise control fixed. Probably cost more to fix than the car is worth. My service writer for 17 years told me it probably doesn't pay to fix it. I am deciding whether or not to keep it just for the fact it runs great and can remove the top and use it as a convertible. Its cost of repairs and insurance for the joy of having it as a convertible.

The new member of the family is the Acadia. Looks great, runs great all new technology vs. the old Mercedes that doesn't have any new technology except the XM radio I had installed years ago. Oh well, rough decisions to make in life sometimes although as they say, this should be the worst.
ours just broke 101,000 yesterday. it was worth alot more to us then any body else (sentimental reasons) so we did a complete restore of it after the engine threw a rod.

we put a new engine and tranny in it, new radio with xm built in (my tomtom is its gps now), new tan leather seaths with new interior rugs, put a new convertable top on ( i love that it can be a coupe or convertable), while sitting in a parking lot the a/c comprosser was stolen so we had a new ac unit installed (curticy of usaa) , it has had alot of body work done and is just a perfect car now ( knock on wood) but it is a new 1984. it has had every thing done to it except a new paint job. it does not need it yet but it will in about 5 years. hopefully i will have it by then. it is my most favorite car in the world.

but for an old mercedes benz the germans were really new all the latest and greatest stuff to put in these cars in 84.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
rollin thunder said:
ours just broke 101,000 yesterday. it was worth alot more to us then any body else (sentimental reasons) so we did a complete restore of it after the engine threw a rod.
When I first started to read your post, I thought, "Holy Cow, that guy drives a lot." :eek: Then I realized you were not talking abou an Acadia. ;)

Kelly

·
Registered
405 Posts
kjf said:
rollin thunder said:
When I first started to read your post, I thought, "Holy Cow, that guy drives a lot." :eek: Then I realized you were not talking abou an Acadia. ;)

Kelly
no our acadia just broke 2200 today. i think that it will probably break 100,000 in 5 years. ;D

i should have staid on topic of the acadia to avoid your confusion. ;D

·
Registered
259 Posts
:hijacked:

·
Registered
405 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts