GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had onstar on a previous vehicle? I was wondering if I will be offered a discount rate at the end of the 1st year to continue. I noted that there was a thread about how to get XM for half price. Wondering if there will be something similar with onstar.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had it in my 02 Sierra Denali and if I remember right it was not offered at a discount. I did however get an additional free year with my purchase of the Acadia because the analogue system in the truck was going to be obsolete at the end of the year. That was cool!

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I have not heard of any discount for Onstar to continue the service after the first year. I wish they would offer a discount and am hoping that I can still get the discount on XM when my trial period is finished.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Had it previously in my Impala, but I wasn't offered a discount. I was happy to get the year of free service just by having the new ride. Although, I think when I re-up next year it will not be at the "Turn by Turn" level. Will probably just get the "Safe and Sound" since I have no real need for a NAV system of any sort.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I agree. Also, with the difference in the money I will save between the Safe and Sound and the Turn by Turn nav I bought a Garmin nav and will come out way ahead in the long run (besides, I can use it in any of my vehicles).

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I let the Onstar service lapse on my previous Saturn Vue. After about two months, they offered me a discount to continue the service. I was paying $12.95 a month for the Safe & Sound plan. (normally $16.95 a month). Not a fabulous deal, but a discount nonetheless.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Hey, any discount you can get is worth it!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
We really like the On Star and were wondering if it can put on an older GMC truck?
My Husband has a 2001 Sierra and he likes how the On Star works (and he
is not getting my Acadia). Is it possible to have it put on his truck? :help:

Judy

·
Registered
681 Posts
canada46 said:
We really like the On Star and were wondering if it can put on an older GMC truck?
My Husband has a 2001 Sierra and he likes how the On Star works (and he
is not getting my Acadia). Is it possible to have it put on his truck? :help:

Judy
I have a 2000 Suburban and the Onstar system in that vehicle is the older analog type that is now obsolete, and they will not support, so even if I wanted it I could not use it. So if you husbands Sierra had Onstar (most had the functionality but the service might never had been turned on) but never had it activated it will not work. If the truck did not have it to begin with, then I do not think it is an accessory that can be installed. One of our Onstar insiders will have to answer that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In 2005 I renewed for 2 additional years at the standard price and got 3 additional months free. I think they still have the same deal. Also, if you have an Analog/Digital capable system, it may have to be upgraded before Jan 1, 2008 to continue to work. If you renew and have to have the upgrade I believe it only cost $10.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I received notice to renew ON Star and since we only travel long distance couple times year via interstate filled with plenty of Oasis signs, it is waste of money for our needs. If we decide to get off the beaten path, Dell Lattide D830 will do the Map quest thing in conjunction with portable printer. XM is not our cup of tea either as we have CD's of continous type songs we like, recorded off internet. Wife prefers local FM. We probably have 80 minutes of phone time we have not used in years time too, which will be lost, $15.00. That's no big deal. These systems are just not for us, but came with the vehicle at the time. Just my comment about a wasted system for our requirements.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just renewed for a year and if you ask, you can get the safe and sound plan (everything other than turn by turn) for $149. The regular yearly price listed on the site is $199 for that plan but if you tell them you want to cancel if they can't do better, they will magically find the $149 plan.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Web Raven said:
I let the Onstar service lapse on my previous Saturn Vue. After about two months, they offered me a discount to continue the service. I was paying $12.95 a month for the Safe & Sound plan. (normally $16.95 a month). Not a fabulous deal, but a discount nonetheless.
I had a 2001 Montana before the Acadia and had the safe and sound plan for $12.95 a month too. But I am not sure if it was cheaper because I got a special deal, or if it was an older car with less features and a different plan.

·
Registered
395 Posts
GerryL said:
I just renewed for a year and if you ask, you can get the safe and sound plan (everything other than turn by turn) for $149. The regular yearly price listed on the site is $199 for that plan but if you tell them you want to cancel if they can't do better, they will magically find the $149 plan.
I got the same deal, but with an additional 2 months free (14 months for $149 + tax). They told me the deals change but hold out as long as you can and see what they offer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts