GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a new number to my Verizon account for the Acadia. What I'd like to know is if the power output of the Acaida phone is any better than my portable phone? I'll be taking this to a no-signal area of Vermont this weekend, and I guess I'll see whether it works or not.

I was just curious if anyone knows the power level of the transmitter on the Acadia. A normal handheld digital phone is only 200mW. A home cordless phone is 700mW and the old analog Bag-phones for cars were 3000mW. I'm actually amazed that the new ones work at all.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I took delivery of my Acadia the salesman was showing me the handsfree calling feature...

He told me the phone on the Acadia is 6 times more powerful than a modern cell phone. Then he told me to pull a way from the awning of the roof of the dealership before I made the call...Now why would you need to do that???

I get the feeling the signal strength is the same as any modern cell phone...they are working on the same network...but one Advantage to the Acadia...by extending antena to the top of the Acadia will offer a natural stronger signal...more height.

Sometime if my cell phone is "gargling" I will hold it up near my sunroof and I get a better signal...same thing probably applies to the Acadia.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cell phones have 3 characteristics that affect signal strength:
1) Power - Phone must have sufficient power to reach a tower to exchange message packets with the towers. The tower has a powerful transmitter, but the phone is limited to preserve battery life.

2) Antenna Capture area - The length of the antenna must be an even multiple of the wavelength you are using, and the longer, the better as long as this rule is observed. So most cell phones have a 1/8 wave antenna now (~1.5") while the Acadia has about a 1/2 wave antenna which has 4 times the capture area giving it much more GAIN for transmit and receive

3) Ground plane - Since the antenna is a monopole, it is really only half an antenna, and it relies on there being a sufficient ground plane to act as the other half. The ideal antenna is placed vertically in the middle of a flat metal ground plane. The Acadia has a great ground plane since it's located on the roof. Portable cell phones have a terrible ground plane so putting them near a big flat chunk of metal (roof of car) will enhance performance as long as the antenna can get a signal out (glass sunroof).

Old Bag Phones had an antenna that was thick at the bottom, then thin at the end. These were "folded dipole" antennas which did not require a ground plane because there were 2 antenna wires that came half way up the antenna (thick part), then split and one went to the tip, the other back to the base.

So if the Acadia has increased power compared to a handheld phone, that will combine with its other enhanced attributes to provide a much stronger signal.

As for why your dealer told you to drive out from under an awning, I think he was confusing satellite radio reception with cellular reception....unless the Cell tower is almost directly overhead at that dealership.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
WOW!! :clap: That was very interesting. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
According to http://auto.howstuffworks.com/onstar2.htm -

OnStar's cellular service has a better range than most cell phones (although you can still lose service in remote areas), with a full three watts instead of a regular cell phone's 0.6 watts. With some OnStar plans, you can also use the cellular service just as you would a regular cell phone plan.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have also heard that Onstar is 3 watts which would make it 5 times greater, if the .6 for a regular cell is correct. If bobboots is correct on cell phones at .2, then its 15 times greater. Maybe boltbacker knows what cells normally go at ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
A normal hip phone is around .65 watts the OnStar system is a full 3 watt phone with a high external antenna, so it is about 5X more powerful. When you are driving in areas that you lose reception with your handheld the OnStar phone has a MUCH great opportunity to connect.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know when my in-laws were out west in Montana and Wyoming, the only way they could call us was through their OnStar. They have Verizon, btw. Of course they were in alot of the wilderness areas....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the update on the OnStar power being 3 watts.

I can shed a little more light on the Cell phone power confusion. Sandman and Boltbacker are both right that the SAR (Spectral Absorbance Ratio) power rating on a handheld phone is in the range of 600mW, but that is a rating used to rate the tissue-absobance-effect of cell phones with an FCC limit of 1600mW in the US. The limit is 2000mW in Europe.

However, our handheld phones typically have 250mW maximum transmitting power which correlates to an SAR rating of 600mW/Kg.
In addition, a cell phone will generally transmit at a LOWER power level that is dictated by the tower just before you answer or initiate a call. The reason for this on most networks, is to limit the number of towers you can reach. However, on the Verizon network (CDMA), they use the overlap on towers as an advantage, but the power level is reduced to save on battery life.

I have attached the FCC test report for my LG 6100 phone just to illustrate the Output Power vs. SAR Power difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
bobboots said:
Thanks for the update on the OnStar power being 3 watts.

I can shed a little more light on the Cell phone power confusion. Sandman and Boltbacker are both right that the SAR (Spectral Absorbance Ratio) power rating on a handheld phone is in the range of 600mW, but that is a rating used to rate the tissue-absobance-effect of cell phones with an FCC limit of 1600mW in the US. The limit is 2000mW in Europe.

However, our handheld phones typically have 250mW maximum transmitting power which correlates to an SAR rating of 600mW/Kg.
In addition, a cell phone will generally transmit at a LOWER power level that is dictated by the tower just before you answer or initiate a call. The reason for this on most networks, is to limit the number of towers you can reach. However, on the Verizon network (CDMA), they use the overlap on towers as an advantage, but the power level is reduced to save on battery life.

I have attached the FCC test report for my LG 6100 phone just to illustrate the Output Power vs. SAR Power difference.
Nerd Alert! Nerd Alert! LOL just kidding good info.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Really interesting, thank you :blob: :blob:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts