GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I activate my Onstar on my new Acadia...then, a few days later, I try to use the Turn-by-turn directions. The onstar attendant tells me that I am out of the required service area, call back in a few miles. I travel about 30 miles and get the same response. I repeat this for two more days from different locations in Indiana. Now, I am located just south of Indianapolis, Indiana. I know I am in a full digital coverage area from all major cell companies.

I wait a couple of more days, am 40 miles away from the other locations and they tell me the same...no coverage. They all work from the same script. I finally asked them what they would do and they said "just give up". Interesting.

So, finally, they transfer me to tech support. An indian speaking person with broken English tells me that my issue needs further investigation and they will contact me in 3-5 days. Right. I have not heard anything yet. And doubt if I will.

What's funny is that I am a professor at a large Big Ten business school and the Onstar folks were just on campus a few weeks ago recruiting our MBAs. They were bragging about their grand, new innovative features!

I can't wait to tell these stories to my classes (and to the recruiting team). Onstar just doesn't work as advertised. I really believe I was mislead with this feature. I wish I could talk to someone at a high level to discuss this.

Anyone else in the area have any success with this feature? I would love to know. :mad:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Must be a glitch in your car or something. I have travelled over rural and urban areas in Washington and Oregon and have never had that problem. I have even been led to new homes that are not on maps yet. I dont use it often but have never been disappointed.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the vehicle itself.
It's just unfortunate that yours does not work. But it does work as advertised..not perfect, but it works on mine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Perhaps its your satellite antenna. Do you get an XM radio signal? If not that might be the problem.

I would take it in for service in any case.

good luck
A Purdue Engineer...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XM Radio works great...everything else with Onstar works great...they claim it is a cellular problem. It uses the CDMA digital network from Verizon. I am using that network now from my wireless laptop. So, it is available...

Onstar said that the onboard diagnostics show OK for the Onstar unit and to not take it to the dealer.

Still doubtful...

Go IU.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
droperations said:
XM Radio works great...everything else with Onstar works great...they claim it is a cellular problem. It uses the CDMA digital network from Verizon. I am using that network now from my wireless laptop. So, it is available...

Onstar said that the onboard diagnostics show OK for the Onstar unit and to not take it to the dealer.

Still doubtful...

Go IU.
There's been a handful of people on this board who have had problems with the OnStar turn-by-turn directions. It's a bummer because it really is a great feature. I use it several times a month and have yet to have any problems with it whatsoever. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not tell me what side of the street my destination is on, so I'm kinda left wondering when it's not obvious. :-\

·
Registered
542 Posts
Web Raven said:
droperations said:

Still doubtful...

Go IU.
There's been a handful of people on this board who have had problems with the OnStar turn-by-turn directions. It's a bummer because it really is a great feature. I use it several times a month and have yet to have any problems with it whatsoever. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not tell me what side of the street my destination is on, so I'm kinda left wondering when it's not obvious. :-\
Maybe you know this already but there is a system to knowing which side of the street a place is on. In my county, even numbered addresses are on the North and east sides and odds are on South and West. Keeping that in mind makes finding which side of the street much easier

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Your turn by turn gets directions from cellular towers. Perhaps all cellular towers don't have equipment installed on them for turn by turn directions? Or equipment from these towers is turned off in your area? Maybe call corporate cellular phone company if not receiving turn by turn directions in your area with your questions? Perhaps they can explain. I believe GM has to pay the cellular phone companies for usage of their towers. Maybe this is an extra feature is not available in your area? Call your dealership and speak to one of their sales people driving company car with turn by turn and having difficulty. Call other dealerships too? I'm just brain storming. When our On Star expires in 6 months, it is out the window.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I love Onstar, it works very well here. I have found stables that are falling down and really don't have an advertised name. I do know that there was a glitch in the service last week. I wanted directions and they located my destination but couldn't download it to the car. The advisor read the directions to me. I am not sure exactly why, but I still was able to find where I was going.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Keith said:
Maybe you know this already but there is a system to knowing which side of the street a place is on. In my county, even numbered addresses are on the North and east sides and odds are on South and West. Keeping that in mind makes finding which side of the street much easier
That would also mean I'd have to know which side of the street is North, East, South or West. I don't have one of those fancy-pants SLT mirrors that tells me which direction I'm facing. And I tend to be directionally-challenged most of the time.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Web Raven said:
Keith said:
That would also mean I'd have to know which side of the street is North, East, South or West. I don't have one of those fancy-pants SLT mirrors that tells me which direction I'm facing. And I tend to be directionally-challenged most of the time.
Can you see the sun?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Can you see the sun?
[/quote]

How can you with the glare off of the silver!! (JK) ;)

I have that problem too. I even teach directions, but when it comes to driving, please tell me "left or right"!! ;D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Keith said:
Can you see the sun?
Not at night darlin' which is when I have difficulty telling which side of the street the address I'm looking for is. During the day, the time when the sun is typically out, I can usually look around and see the numbers on the buildings.

It'd just be nice if "Bob" - my caring OnStar TBT assistant - would be a little more like "Karen" - my ridiculing Garmin assistant - and say "You are arriving at your destination... blah blah blah... on the left (or on the right as the case may be)"

(Sorry that response of mine sounded totally snotty, but I just woke up from sleeping most of my day off away and I took it out in this post. :help: )

·
Registered
468 Posts
Web Raven said:
Not at night darlin' which is when I have difficulty telling which side of the street the address I'm looking for is. During the day, the time when the sun is typically out, I can usually look around and see the numbers on the buildings.
I'm sure the next helpful hint will be to look for the North Star. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
zman said:
Web Raven said:
I'm sure the next helpful hint will be to look for the North Star. ;D
Yeah, I was kinda thinking that as I was posting my earlier reply. LOL If that is the case, I'm hopeless. I'll never find the North Star.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Web Raven said:
Yeah, I was kinda thinking that as I was posting my earlier reply. LOL If that is the case, I'm hopeless. I'll never find the North Star.
I sympathize. I usually state that you could place me in a paper bag with one end opened and I still would not be able to find my way out. I have nearly zero directional sense, and it sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
web raven - Just a warning, TomTom GPS units suffer this same ailment. Garmin Nuvis do tell you which side of the street your destination is on, though. So it's not as rare as you might think.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
admin said:
web raven - Just a warning, TomTom GPS units suffer this same ailment. Garmin Nuvis do tell you which side of the street your destination is on, though. So it's not as rare as you might think.
Oh, I have a Garmin C340 and I know that it tells me which side of the street my destination is on, which I very much appreciate. It's just that the OnStar computerized guy is much more polite about giving me instructions than my Garmin chick is. So I secretly wish that OnStar did the "which side of the street" thing as well. Then it would be PERFECT. :thumb: I'm coming up for renewal in March. Not sure yet if I wish to keep the TBT or not. Probably not. While I love it, I can't justify spending the extra money per month since I already own a Garmin.

·
Registered
339 Posts
mckcab said:
I love Onstar, it works very well here. I have found stables that are falling down and really don't have an advertised name. I do know that there was a glitch in the service last week. I wanted directions and they located my destination but couldn't download it to the car. The advisor read the directions to me. I am not sure exactly why, but I still was able to find where I was going.
I had a problem last week as well (Thursday) while on a day trip to Dayton, OH. We called to get directions, but they said they couldn't send us directions due to the area we were in, so they gave us some verbal directions to get us pointed the right way. I thought it was quite odd as we were literally 4 miles from downtown Dayton.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Kloogee said:
I had a problem last week as well (Thursday) while on a day trip to Dayton, OH. We called to get directions, but they said they couldn't send us directions due to the area we were in, so they gave us some verbal directions to get us pointed the right way. I thought it was quite odd as we were literally 4 miles from downtown Dayton.
That's weird! I had the same issue in Ohio - I got lost just north of Columbus and they couldn't give me TBT either. Is Ohio off the map? ::)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts