GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2008 Acadia for three months and OnStar Turn-By-Turn is the worst feature ever offered by an auto manufacturer.

It simply does not work.

I live in New England (Boston), and it doesn't work in CT/RI/MA/NH/ME/VT/NY. On city, rural or country roads.

The OnStar technicians have poked, prodded and downloaded software for weeks, with no success. I even took it back to the dealer, and they said they can't do anything with the unit because diagnostics show up 'green'.

Doesn't matter where or when I try it, I connect to the OnStar, ask for directions, then disconnect. That's it - no more information. No download, no call back.

OnStar customer support is pretty bad. They will call you back, in about 3-5 days.

I should have gotten the NAV system. :(

Good thing I didn't throw out those Rand McNally maps.

When people in the car ask about the 'blue' button, I let them push the blue button, ask for directions, and nothing happens. They laugh, and say 'What a useless feature'.

BTW: I love the Acadia - awesome car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
I've tried the TBT twice.

The first time was on Cape Cod , and was told by the onStar rep that because the GPS signal was not being received, they could not give me directions. big shortcoming, since I was on a pretty 'major' road on the Cape - no big buildings or hills in the way. BTW, I also have the NAV system, but decided to try the TBT so I didn't have to stop to find and enter the place I was going to...

The second time was more successful - I was actually able to get directions. But I thought the directions would be 'beamed' into my NAV system - IMO, this would be a totally awesome feature. Instead, it took over my audio system and gave me turn by turn directions, as advertised I guess. It almost seemed like there was a backseat driver, telling me what to do.

Would I pay for that feature by itself? No. but we keep OnStar (basic service) for the safety aspect. I much prefer my NAV system. If they had a system where you could ask them for a place, and then they would 'beam it' into my NAV system, I would pay for that - it would be an awesome way to get around the fact that you can't enter addresses or easily 'search' for a place while moving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Well, I do not live on the East coast, but I have had nothing but success with turn by turn. I am glad I did not get the nav system because of the $$ and because Onstar is so much easier. No glancing away from the road, no programing and no updates needed. Always have gotten very clear directions. I got hung up on once but called back and got my directions right away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I have the system and love it. I used it successfully from LI NY to Newport RI and from LINY to NH with no problem. It works so well in my own *backyard* when I get off the wrong exit etc. Is it worth the extra $ per month? Prob not...in that department I would agree with you that I should have gotten the nav. system.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
JohnFitz said:
It almost seemed like there was a backseat driver, telling me what to do.
Aww... poor Bob! That's what I've named my OnStar turn-by-turn guy. ;D I never feel like he's judging me. Even if I take a wrong turn, he doesn't chastise me with a "RE-CALCULATING" like my Garmin GPS unit, Karen, does. Bob just automatically gives me the next proper turn to take and gets us back on our way. He's swell. :thumb: Karen on the other hand... she can be a really moody you know what sometimes.

I live in the Chicagoland area. I've used the Onstar turn-by-turn via MapQuest for several months now on trips up to MN and into WI and to various locations within IL. I've never run into an issue with it so far where it wouldn't work. Sounds like maybe that Acadia has some faulty OnStar equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
My experience with TBT has been great. It nails every intersection and it usually finds the most direct route to my destination. I used it from Texas to Minnesota without any major issues. The only hiccup I had was in the middle of Kansas (I think) when the OnStar rep stated it was not available when I requested a route. I called back a few miles down the road and the route was downloaded ok.

No question a full NAV system in the vehicle would be much better, but I think TBT does its' job quite well.

Would like TBT via MapQuest. Is this still in the pilot phase?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
It works great in California! Although, sometimes its off by about 20 yards.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
FRW said:
Would like TBT via MapQuest. Is this still in the pilot phase?
It is still in the beta-testing phase. However, I believe others have posted on the forum that if you contact OnStar and ask to participate, they may include you as a beta-tester. I just received the email randomly when the program started up. I've never been a big fan of MapQuest personally since it's lured me into the middle of a town unknown to me before, but it seems to be working quite flawlessly right now. I'm more a Google or Yahoo Maps person. It'd be cool if OnStar could work with most popular mapping sites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I e-mailed OnStar asking about how to get on the Beta test for TBT with Mapquest and within 24hrs got the e-mail inviting me to join. The only catch is that they expect you to do some questionnaires as feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
GAR said:
The only catch is that they expect you to do some questionnaires as feedback.
It's just a simple multiple choice questionnaire. Done it 3 times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I've used TBT all over the Mid-Atlantic and it has worked very well. Easy, quick, and accurate. Push one button and talk. Best system ever. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I had the same situation happen to me a few times when trying to use TBT. One time I had a car full of people and was trying to show it off and the Onstar rep told me they "did not have cell coverage in my area" so they couldn't beam the directions to my car. However, I am in a metropolitan city with perfect Verizon coverage and I knew that wasn't true. I believe the problem was that I was driving while asking for the directions and they couldn't get a lock on the car. I now stay stationary until the directions hit my system. I really like it and since I have an Outlook I only have it for 2 months... so I'll be renewing it thanks to an offer I got to have the rest of my first year for $50. I'll probably buy a GPS next year instead of renewing because I think the cost of Onstar is higher than I'm happy with... safety features included.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Web Raven said:
FRW said:
Would like TBT via MapQuest. Is this still in the pilot phase?
It is still in the beta-testing phase. However, I believe others have posted on the forum that if you contact OnStar and ask to participate, they may include you as a beta-tester. I just received the email randomly when the program started up. I've never been a big fan of MapQuest personally since it's lured me into the middle of a town unknown to me before, but it seems to be working quite flawlessly right now. I'm more a Google or Yahoo Maps person. It'd be cool if OnStar could work with most popular mapping sites.
This is my reply in the Enclave forum concerning not being a fan of Mapquest because of correctness:

When you want a route using Mapquest/OnStar you just enter a destination. Then from wherever you are located OnStar will setup & download a route from your current location to the destination specified. For example...say you entered Lexington, Ky as your destination on Mapquest.. If you happened to be in St Louis and called virtual advisor and said "Lexington" Onstar would setup a route from St Louis to Lexington. Now your in Atlanta & called virtual advisor & said "Lexington" Onstar would setup a route from Atlanta to Lexington. As someone said all it needs is your destination and your location to setup the route. Its not Mapquest providing the routing...its just a vehicle used to get it to OnStar.

Hope this isn't too confusing... :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Ah-ha! Perfect explanation. Very good. That explains why I haven't been mis-lead by MapQuest using the OnStar system.

Thank you, thank you very much. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Has worked fine for me, living in Maine. The only time it didn't work was where cell coverage was weak, on the coast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
What would really be cool is if Onstar TBT could be integrated with our Acadia NAV. Imagine driving to your date, but you forgot flowers, you're running late and don't have time to stop, and poke around with your NAV. So you just call Onstar, tell em to find the nearest florist and have them download the directions to your NAV. Now you have the visual as well as voice directions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Rufio said:
What would really be cool is if Onstar TBT could be integrated with our Acadia NAV. Imagine driving to your date, but you forgot flowers, you're running late and don't have time to stop, and poke around with your NAV. So you just call Onstar, tell em to find the nearest florist and have them download the directions to your NAV. Now you have the visual as well as voice directions.
What would be REALLY cool is if OnStar could actually call my boyfriend when he's on his way over and remind him that I'd actually really like it if he would stop and pick up some flowers on the way. ;D :thumb:

Oh wait, he drives a Camry. Dangit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Web Raven said:
What would be REALLY cool is if OnStar could actually call my boyfriend when he's on his way over and remind him that I'd actually really like it if he would stop and pick up some flowers on the way. ;D :thumb:

Oh wait, he drives a Camry. Dangit.
Camry owner? Here is some cool info for when you talk to him. Consumer reports just updated their website recently and based on repair data have given the Acadia a recommended by for 2008, and for the first time in a LONG time have removed their recommended by on the V6 Camry due to quality issues.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
GAR said:
Camry owner? Here is some cool info for when you talk to him. Consumer reports just updated their website recently and based on repair data have given the Acadia a recommended by for 2008, and for the first time in a LONG time have removed their recommended by on the V6 Camry due to quality issues.
It wouldn't do me any good. He doesn't really give a squat about that kinda stuff. His brother paid cash for the car. It's a 97. Drives like a beast and is usually so full of his work tools and crap in general, that only he fits into it. He just likes the fact that he doesn't have a car payment. :)
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top