GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Onstar subs (free) is expiring May 16. I'm wondering how many members here renewed their subscription and why. Is it really a must have? If i renew mine, it will be $45 CAD a month.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I have the Safe and Sound plan and I think it's a must have. I have peace of mind that if my airbags deploy the vehicle will contact Onstar automatically. I think it's worth it ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've questioned it... But then earlier this week my wife called me at the office to tell me that she had locked the keys in the car. I asked her if she had called OnStar... She hadn't so I gave her the number. 5 minutes later she called to say that she was in the car.

I think we'll be keeping it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My thought is if you do a lot of traveling out of town every day...vs more in town driving, is it worth it? What type of traffic will you be in every day? The two months we would need it, it's $28.00 a month. We pay as you go or when needed. Will you be traveling county roads where deer might be an issue? Way your issues and decide. MO.
Forgot: I have spare keys on both vehicles attached to undercarriage side of radiator.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. We do roadtrips every summer. I think we average around 6 a year (each roadtrip averaging 1,000 km). Other than that its mostly city driving. I didn't know that there is a 'pay-as-you-go' option. I'll check this option, maybe its the right one for me. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
We're not planning on renewing ours. I can't see paying the US equivalent of $45 CAD every month. Everyone's needs are different as noted. We use the navigation system in the radio when traveling (OK, I use it all the time because I like gadgets), so there is no need for a supplemental setup such as turn by turn. I like to have control over the input, i.e. we might want to go to an Outback Steakhouse, get there, find there is a 1.5 hour wait and want to go someplace else.

The monthly vehicle status email is OK, but nothing I really need. Kind of big-brotherish (quasi-paranoid, but interesting reading from a technical standpoint) when I think about it.

Mrs. Blue always has her mobile phone when traveling (and it works with the Bluetooth now :)), so the remainder is of little value.

We just can't justify the expense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not planning on keeping it either come June (end of free trial). I would consider Safe and Sound but only at a reasonable price (haven't figured out what that would be yet... ???)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same, here, ours is going to expire next month. But, Its just too high! We go on vacation a few weeks a year, if we could buy it a-la-carte I would be for it....or a lower price!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd pay $50/year for simple services such as crash notifications, and unlock maybe a couple times, or even unlock with a $5 fee per incident. But, all the other "features" I'd never use or need. So it VERY overpriced to me. I won't renew.

Maybe they should consider a close to or pure ala-carte program? Pay nothing or extremely small yearly fee and pay for services as needed on a per service charge?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dave 2 said:
I'm not planning on keeping it either come June (end of free trial). I would consider Safe and Sound but only at a reasonable price (haven't figured out what that would be yet... ???)
Quoting myself from another Onstar thread:

We ended up with 14 months for $141.00; that translates into $10.07 a month for the Safe and Sound plan

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was this a standard package? Or did you work this out with an Onstar rep?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I didn't renew - way overpriced.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
preytor said:
Was this a standard package? Or did you work this out with an Onstar rep?
I had to work with them, once I got through the initial person; I was transferred to customer loyalty and I made a deal with her

·
Registered
154 Posts
Me and my siblings made our 80 year old Mom renew her OnStar for our piece and mind. We'd said we pay too, but she took care of it.

So when mine came up for renewal, I couldn't reject my own logic for why Mom had to have it. I renewed at a price just little bit higher than jsimms.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
They got me hooked with the directions plan.
It will be hard to let it go, but I'm still not sure if I'll re-new this September.
We'll see.............. ???

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
They got me hooked with the directions plan.
It will be hard to let it go, but I'm still not sure if I'll re-new this September.
We'll see.............. ???
TBT is a nice feature and is convenient because it tells you when and where to turn, but I have hand held GPS so I dropped that as part of my trial.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
What happens to Onstar if GM does need to file bankruptcy? I need to renew but I don't know what route to go with this in the back of my head.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I would think Onstar would continue operations as usual

·
Registered
23 Posts
My free year runs out soon, so I called today to remove my credit card from file so it does not automatically renew at a high rate. The second person I spoke with reduced the safe and sound to $12.95 per month, and said an additional $7 per year could be saved if I go with an annual payment. I told her I was still deciding, and she said to check again, as there may be other offers at that time.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
carbon1 said:
My free year runs out soon, so I called today to remove my credit card from file so it does not automatically renew at a high rate. The second person I spoke with reduced the safe and sound to $12.95 per month, and said an additional $7 per year could be saved if I go with an annual payment. I told her I was still deciding, and she said to check again, as there may be other offers at that time.
I would say call back in a few days and see what kind of deal you can get; I scored a little over $10 a month for 14 months; same plan and 100 free phone minutes that rollover (didn't really need that, but I asked and got it)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts