GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's finally that time for those of us who got the first run of Acadias. We got a letter telling us it's nearly time to renew our subscription to OnStar. So before we blindly pull the trigger, has anyone come across any renewal deals or discounts akin to the ZWINBACK 'XM' deal?

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Anyone know of any deals for OnStar subscriptions? It's getting close to renewal time!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, based on the fact that they have no competition, I would guess there aren't a whole lot of deals that they put out there.... I'm sure they consider the first year free (to get you hooked) and those weepy (at least for a crybaby like me) radio commercials that have the recording of the scared mom who just got in a car accident and doesn't know where she is but Onstar is there and sending an ambulance right away...... to be all they need!!

Good luck, for all of our sakes, I hope you find something, but I doubt it :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I read a post (possibly in the XM renewal thread) where someone said OnStar offered them a deal when they did not renew after the one year trial.

·
Registered
339 Posts
XM has the unfortunate fact of having some satellites up in the sky that they have to pay for somehow. And now that they've got the satellite's in the air, I'm sure they don't have a ton of costs associated with each additional user, so I'm sure it makes sense for them to offer a whopper of a deal instead of losing a customer completely. On the other hand, due to the nature of OnStar where they are paying to use another company's cell service and that you are talking to a live person each time you call OnStar, I'm sure that their costs per customer are actually quite high. So I'm sure that is why we haven't all heard of any killer deals on their services.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is boltbacker still around? He works for OnStar. If anyone would know, it would be him...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just the question I had as I approach my 1 year anniversary on March 11. Has anybody heard from Boltbacker?

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my past experience(2 vehicle which we change every second year), if you don't renew XM or Onstar right away, they will definitely sweeten the deal and sometimes throw in a deal on calling minutes as well. Just have to play hard to get.... ;)
I just called to cancel the Onstar in my Sierra because I'm going to be getting rid of it soon and they did everything they could to get me to stay on. I ended having to be a little rude because the guy wouldn't take no.....
I also don't like their policy of automatically renewing the subscription with your credit card on file. When I did the Onstar orientation on the Acadia, they tried to insist that I give them my Visa #. When I refused the operator tried to say it was their policy that I had to provide it. I stood my ground and reminded him that it was in his best interest to not argue with me. He gave in at that point. I told him that I would decide for myself if i chose to renew it in a year and would not be leaving it up to them.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I didn't get a chance to let it lapse because they had my cc on file already, so it just autorenewed. I was planning on renewing it anyway, so it's no big deal I guess. I'm too fond of my turn-by-turn mapquest buddy, boB, to part with him yet. ::)

·
Registered
395 Posts
After I removed my Credit Card from the file, I was offered 2 months free, 14 months for $149 (Safe and Sound Plan- $160 with tax)

Just over $11/month less the insurance discount of about $6 (for vehicle tracking system), so net $5/month.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mine comes up due at the end of March. I had gotten an email back in January reminding me that it would auto-renew, but it was way too expensive for me. I called to cancel, and the operator told me that she would lock in a lower rate for me and all I needed to do was call back at the end of March before it auto-renewed to get the discount rate. I still had the option to cancel it as well if I so choose. I have NEVER used Onstar but I would like to at least have the Safe and Sound Plan for peace of mind going forward. Currently use AAA, but like convenience of Onstar if needed.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
This is good news. I have had the safe and sound plan with the ability for them to run remote diagnostics and open my locked doors remotely for 7 years now in other cars. The price has always been $12 per month and I was hoping to get that again. I have the Turn-by-Turn right now and will most likely not extend that as $9.99 is just too steep for navigation (IMO).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got the OnStar deal for 14 months for $149 plus tax...just say you are going to cxl and they should transfer you to a retention area who can offer this deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
opps..forgot to mention this deal was for the Safe and Sound plan....

·
Registered
533 Posts
jseck2 said:
Just over $11/month less the insurance discount of about $6 (for vehicle tracking system), so net $5/month.
jseck2,

I just happened to read your comment yesterday - which got me thinking about my own insurance. Since I've just now "finalized" insur. for my new Acadia, I called my insur. agent this a.m. to ask about the "tracking device" discount. She asked me "Do you have Lo-Jack"? I said "No, I've go OnStar w/ stolen vehicle slow-down". She's amending my account now.

Thanks for the tip!

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just called and renewed on the Safe and Sound Plan for 14 months at $161.00 including tax. The rep was also nice enough to throw in 100 free calling minutes for free. I didn't need a code, but simply asked for that deal (Don't forget to hint about the calling minutes if they don't mention it ;) .

Enjoy!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I asked the renewal price a month before my 12 months expired and there were no deals. A month later I called to cancel and the deals came out. It went from $18 a month to $9.99 a month. I was so mad they waited until I was leaving the service to make the offer I just said to cancel it. I also told them they should include some minutes every month if they wanted to keep customers. I can always go back when I want. It definately pays to ask.

Bobby

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just renewed my Canadian On Star subscription for my Outlook. Started at $24.95, after I said I would cancel I got transfered to the cancellation department who without asking offerred $18.95. Nice to save the $80 for the year, but why can't the first agent offer you the deal? I don't get the passing you around before they offer the discount.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
wolfrun said:
Just renewed my Canadian On Star subscription for my Outlook. Started at $24.95, after I said I would cancel I got transfered to the cancellation department who without asking offerred $18.95. Nice to save the $80 for the year, but why can't the first agent offer you the deal? I don't get the passing you around before they offer the discount.

Is that just for the safe & sound plan? My account online shows the regular price as $18.95 a month for Safe & Sound and $28.90 for the Directions & Connections plan. That in US dollars, if you're paying month to month.

I downgraded to safe & sound late last year. I've considered canceling it altogether. But I'm not sure yet...

1 - 20 of 108 Posts