GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sinice our 3 month free trial is about to end, we are looking at purchasing a 1year Onstar program. So I thaught why not add a year of hands free phone service, we do travel so it would be a easier/cheaper way to call. So my question is what is the difference between these's 2 plans or then the cost?

100 Exclusive $19.99 12 Months
or
100 $49.99 12 Months

I did not see a note to read what "exclusive" means on the Onstar phone service webpage

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I can't help you with those, but do you have Verizon? If you do, you can add the Acadia as part of the "family share plan" and it costs $9.99 a month. I do and it shares minutes with my phone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think there is a difference between the two packages. I believe they are just having a sale on the 100 minute package and their website has a clumsy way of showing both packages. When I look at my account on Onstar, they list 2 exclusive packages 200 minutes for 69 or 320 minutes for 99.

If you are renewing OnStar, you might be able to convince them to toss those 100 minutes in for free.

·
Registered
154 Posts
chicago_cws said:
If you are renewing OnStar, you might be able to convince them to toss those 100 minutes in for free.
When I renewed my OnStar subscription, I asked them to roll-over my unused minutes and give me another 100 for free. They did without hesitation!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Tim said:
When I renewed my OnStar subscription, I asked them to roll-over my unused minutes and give me another 100 for free. They did without hesitation!
I did the same thing; they gave me 100 minutes

·
Registered
47 Posts
ottawacats said:
Sinice our 3 month free trial is about to end, we are looking at purchasing a 1year Onstar program. So I thaught why not add a year of hands free phone service, we do travel so it would be a easier/cheaper way to call. So my question is what is the difference between these's 2 plans or then the cost?

100 Exclusive $19.99 12 Months
or
100 $49.99 12 Months

I did not see a note to read what "exclusive" means on the Onstar phone service webpage

Thanks,
Matt
Don't you get a year free of OnStar when you buy an Acadia? Or is it a year of Safe and Sound but only 3 months of Directions/Connections?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
One year of Onstar but only a limited number of phone minutes.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The three month trial is XM radio, unless it is different for Canada.

12 months of Verizon phone in car = $119.88 plus tax
300 minutes from onstar = $114.99 plus tax

While this might not apply to all, but do you go through more than 300 minutes in your car in a year? Traveling salesmen need not respond. Even with a cell phone, I never spent more than 100 minutes using the onstar phone with my Outlook so the cost there was 49.99. I think it is a gimmic to get people to sign up there verizon phone for this.

Of course if you have an 09 you more than likely have bluetooth so there is no need for either. I rolled over my left over minutes from my Outlook so I have both right now.

Spending a couple of hundred to add bluetooth aftermarket would be cheaper after a couple of years than the verizon or onstar phone. IMHO. :beer:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We got a 3 month trial of Onstar (directions version) and 30 minutes of phone use. It runs out at the end of the month. So I was looking at getting the Safe and Sound package, with some phone mintues. We do travel states side about once or twice a month, so I was thinking that the Onstar phone would be cheaper then long distance on our cell phone. Just wanted to see if that idea was a good one or not. We are not looking to use it daily or anything, it would be a just in case deal.

Thanks for the answer and info

Matt

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You got me, I spend more than 300 minutes a year on my car phone. It's at least that much a month. I drive 30 minutes a day (one way) to pick up my son from school. I talk to my mom or husband on the way and then I call my son to tell him to get his b--t out of school. My son calls us on his way home from his girlfriend's to let us know that he left. (another 30 min drive) I love having Verizon and the Safe and Sound plan. Unfortunately we had to upgrade to the directions since my son can't find his way out of a paper bag, but it is worth it knowing he is safe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I suspect the cheaper plan does not have the Turn-By-Turn navigation function. The cheaper plan may just off the accident monitor system.

If you chat a lot, signing up with Verizon (in the US) or Bell (in Canada) will be a cheaper way to stay in touch.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Can you hear me now? ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts