GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove an Acadia the other day. Drove it to me house to see how it fits in my garage. My garage doors are standard size- 9 feet wide 7 feet high. The only thing that hits when I drove in and out was the antennae mounted to the roof. It sounds like you are ripping it off when you are inside the Acadia. Is this antennae for Onstar or XM or both? If you get one with out XM is the antennae different, ie. shorter or mounted in a different location? Salesman told me it was for Onstar and he said all you do is unscrew it and remove it and you will still be able to use Onstar 90% of the time. Not the answer I wanted.
So has anyone else had this problem? How have you solved it, parking outside is not the answer.
Anyone on the board from GM associated with the Acadia? If so moving this antennae or making it shorter or fixing it in some way to make it so it does not stick up so far would be a good idea.
One thing I thought about is by installing the cross rails can you position one of them over the antennae to hold it down? Although its a pretty $$ way to get the antennea out of the way.
So anyone with the crossrails- is that possable?
Thank you

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a std door size too and mine doesn't hit. Can you adjust the garage door opener to go up another inch or two? That should solve it.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I was going to say the same.

If you have a garage door open just adjust the opener so the door travels up another inch or 2. IT is probably set to low right now.

BTW, it is an antenna for both. Used to be seperate like on my Envoy and XM was smaller and flatter. Now, it is allinclude din the one antenna.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually it does not hit the bottom of the garage door it hits the physical wood opening. which is a little less than 7 feet but only by an inch or two. When I asked the salesman he said I was the third person to tell him that. So I am not the only one still looking for ideas or solutions. Thank you for clarifying the antennae is the same for XM and Onstar

·
Registered
119 Posts
there's a chevy truck in the parkin lot that has a small 3"x4" (estimate ) plastic looking thin wedge antenna mounted on the front of it's roof. That would be alot more durable (?) in car washes but not sure what it's for.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Antenna is an "all in one" antenna. It provides reception for AM/FM/XM/OnStar and GPS. Actual maximum design height is 77.5 inches...might be just slightly taller (77.7) with empty fuel tank. 7' is 84 inches so your garage may be 6-7 inches less than 7'. For science, I measured my garage door height (83") and the height of my Acadia antenna (77")...so it clears and is well within design and measurement tolerance. Trim heights are closely monitored so I suspect it would be unlikely that the Acadia is 6 to 7 inches too high...plus you'd notice large clearance at the wheel wells. Interested in what you find regarding the garage door/trim height.

·
Registered
405 Posts
shot_1 said:
there's a chevy truck in the parkin lot that has a small 3"x4" (estimate ) plastic looking thin wedge antenna mounted on the front of it's roof. That would be alot more durable (?) in car washes but not sure what it's for.

the antennas on the 00-02 chevy and gmc trucks all had an onstar antenna that looked like a car phone. in 2003 the went to a antenna on the roof and if you wanted xm you got two antennas on the roof in the front on the left was an antenna that looked like the acadia antenna except it was shorter. But on the right was a small dome that if you look closer it said XM on it. But on my 2006 Yukon xl it is all in the front on the left side and it is a plastic dome with a bulky antenna. . but what your saying sounds like this antenna. this is for gm trucks i dont know about their other cars.

here is what i think you are talking about and it is a lot more durable
i wish it was on the acadia

·
Registered
524 Posts
Take a chainsaw and make a three inch vertical incision in your garage door opening just to the left of center. Repeat four inches to the right. Take hammer and hit the chunk of wood brick, etc..

That should give you a nice slot for your antennae. 8)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Dan-M said:
Take a chainsaw and make a three inch vertical incision in your garage door opening just to the left of center. Repeat four inches to the right. Take hammer and hit the chunk of wood brick, etc..

That should give you a nice slot for your antennae. 8)
LOL don't forget the little doggy door flap ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts