GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the world of Acadians. We've driven two and looked at 4 or 5 differnet setups, we just about bought one on impulse because we liked them so much! But being so close to the 08 model year and not being able to find exactly what we wanted on the lot we decided to hold off and order one. Now the dealer is telling us we cannot get an 08 without OnStar. OnStar makes me nervous at the best of times (have you read the fine print?) but now that it's mandatory it has kind of turned me off. :'( Has anyone out there heard of any way to disbale the OnStar system? Ideally I'd like to be able to turn it on or off, possibly a switch on the antenna would do the trick? I know all about the downside of turning off a "safety device" but I'm the driver right? :angryfire:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm sure you could cancel your plan. There is a guy from Onstar on the site, I'm sure he could tell you. I personally like Onstar. The turn by turn directions have gotten my places and found stores right around. I like getting monthly reports on how my Acadia is doing and IF I need an oil change. I call through Verizon which is hands free so I am being safe on the road. What do you find objectionable? Not being scarcastic, just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I used to be incredibly opposed to Onstar for the simple reason that they can locate you anywhere you go, even if you don't have a current service plan. Big brother is watching. But then I came to realize that it doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm running around doing illegal things anyway. ::) Let them find me, I say! :p

I don't mind the Onstar. It's free. I really don't use it. I like the hands-free phone feature, but I could certainly live without it. When the free service expires, I'll only renew it if I get a good deal.

As far as disabling it, canceling your plan is not enough. I'm sure it can be disabled... ask any thief. LOL The question is whether or not it can be disabled and re-enabled at the flick of a switch. Hopefully our resident OnStar expert can assist with that one.

And on another thought, you can get an '07 without OnStar? I wasn't aware of that.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I see your point about being able to know where you are at all times, but if you have a cell phone can't they do that as well? I have a plan for my kids that shows me via computer where they are with their phone. Not that I don't trust them, but I had a cousin that was kidnapped and I want to know their location if they are out riding bikes or horses.

I guess I'm with you Web Raven, not doing anything illegal and not planning on running for President, so locate me all you want! ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok lets set this all straight. 1) ALL Acadia's come STANDARD with OnStar, you cannot get one without it. 2) If you don't want it all you will have to do is Push the Blue Button and tell the Advisors you do not want to activate your OnStar. If your reasoning for not wanting OnStar is because we track you, let me set your mind at ease. The only time we know where the car is, is when you proactively push the Blue Button or the Emergency service button. The only other time we will know is in the event of an accident in the vehicle obviously for safety reasons. OnStar does a lot more now than just locate your vehicle, we can do Vehicle Diagnostics to help you in the event something goes wrong with your vehicle, roadside assistance, door lockout, Turn By Turn Navigation, it has a Phone, etc. If your so concerned that people are watching what you are doing maybe you shouldn't be doing what your doing.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Boltbacker said:
Ok lets set this all straight. 1) ALL Acadia's come STANDARD with OnStar, you cannot get one without it. 2) If you don't want it all you will have to do is Push the Blue Button and tell the Advisors you do not want to activate your OnStar. If your reasoning for not wanting OnStar is because we track you, let me set your mind at ease. The only time we know where the car is, is when you proactively push the Blue Button or the Emergency service button. The only other time we will know is in the event of an accident in the vehicle obviously for safety reasons. OnStar does a lot more now than just locate your vehicle, we can do Vehicle Diagnostics to help you in the event something goes wrong with your vehicle, roadside assistance, door lockout, Turn By Turn Navigation, it has a Phone, etc. If your so concerned that people are watching what you are doing maybe you shouldn't be doing what your doing.
#1 is what I thought.

Maybe it's a rumor, but I thought that OnStar had the ability to track the vehicle at the request of authorities even if you don't push the blue button or emergency button?

·
Registered
218 Posts
We will only do this at the permission of the owner of the vehicle to assist in the recovery of the vehicle. We are very concerned about the privacy of our customers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the 07's we looked at had OnStar as well so I'm not sure if you could have gotten one without or not but regardless it's too late now...

I like the phone features and the turn by turn directions and can even see the usefulness of maintenance reminders. What I don't like is the lack of privacy and the lack of choice. Even if you don't subscribe all the capabilites are still there including the ominous "listen in". I'm not paranoid and I'm not a criminal (until the laws change) I do, however, believe in sound judgement. Does anyone read and actually comprehend the OnStar terms? I know I don't. What I can grasp does bother me enough to wonder what freedoms we're willing to trade for another monthly payment? Here's a bit from the privacy policy "As set forth in the OnStar Service Terms and Conditions, it is the responsibility of the subscriber to advise all vehicle occupants how information about them may be collected, used and disclosed." It's pretty hard for me to advise my vehicles occupants of something that I don't really understand! Arguments about the positive and negative aspects of OnStar aside, I'm just wondering how difficult it is to turn it off (for real) so that my freedom of choice is maintained. I love how the pushers make you out to be a criminal just because you don't want them in your car!!!!! >:D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
mckcab said:
I see your point about being able to know where you are at all times, but if you have a cell phone can't they do that as well?
Mine and my son's cell phones have an option to turn off the GPS signal. So I would venture to say that if that was off, it couldn't be tracked. But I'm certainly not an expert on it.

cusco72, not that I'm an OnStar pusher or even that you were replying to me, I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean to imply you were a thief, I just meant that any thief would certainly know how to permanently disable the OnStar system. ;D

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am also not terribly concerned about being tracked. I'm sure lots of people find it helpful but given a choice I would probably prefer not to have it. I've had the car two months today and haven't really found a need for it yet. I've played with the turn by turn a couple times (not very impressed) and I have a Garmin GPS that I like a lot better. The safety features could be helpful but with any luck (knock on wood), I won't ever need them. When the free year is up, I will almost definitely not renew it unless I find that the cost to renew is offset by the insurance discount for having it (though I doubt it will be). If I was 20 years older or had health issues, I could see the value but for me it's just one more service to pay for that I get very little real benefit from. Of course, if I ever really need it- I'm sure I'll change my tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boltbacker said:
If your so concerned that people are watching what you are doing maybe you shouldn't be doing what your doing.
That's what touched a nerve, not your comment mckcab

as for cell phones I can leave them at home if I'm out "doing what I'm doing" but it's hard to leave the car behind, makes for alot of running.

by the way, I'm Canadian. I thought Americans were supposed to be all up in arms about rights and freedoms or is that just a stereotype we have up here in the north? :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Let's see, I have On Star, Cell phones, credit cards (AMEX just sent me a card that has an RFID chip embedded that can be read from a short distance to a reader, not that I asked for it), there are the black boxes in new vehicles that will tell authorities or insurance companies what you were doing right before a crash (speed, brakes applied or not, what lights/turn signals were on or off) not sure how far back the data is stored time wise. Then there are the grocery store cards we use to get discounts. Airports and cities are installing special face recognition software that can store and match faces for security reasons, then the cities that are installing cameras on street corners, not to mention the security camera installed every where we go. We use EZ Pass to pay for tolls on the highways. Forget about how we are tracked online, even our comment on this forum could be traked back to you, you could use the forum as an alibi (I was online at 3AM that night, I could nothave done it :thumb:) I guess there is no hiding what we do in our lives, but it does not really bother me that much, it makes life more conveinent and easy to manage.

If you want to be anonymous I guess you need to only pay in cash, were a hood over your head, don't shop in stores, stay off the streets.. forget it, I think it is almost impossible to do unless you are the unibomber, live in a cabin in the woods with no electricity, public water, live off the land etc... - hey they even found him, I guess he should not have used the mail ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
To me it's not a big deal but if it's that big of a deal to someone just find another car to buy. Seems simple enough. If I didn't like something about a car (from the look to engine to interior) I'd find something else. Onstar is on it so if it's that much of a concern why buy it?

I don't really have a use for onstar and could absolutely live without it. I work for a law enforcement agency and while I see it's use to locate a veh that was stolen we gets numerous...did I say NUMEROUS....calls that someone hit their emergency button and they can't make voice contact in the veh. So we get sent out on wild goose chases looking for the veh. 99% of the time onstar doesn't have the plate since the registered owner didn't provide it after it was issued by the DMV and the company apparently has no follow up to get that information. So we're looking for a white yukon...well that's helpful! LOL

They give us an intersection but unless there is a verified crime involved they won't provide any further tracking or direction of travel on the veh. Well if no one can make voice contact how the heck are we able to determine there is a crime? They won't give us the registered owners home address...which is actually useful since MOST of the time people hit it while getting in and out of the veh while at home and it'd give us a place to check for the veh if they live nearby. At the very least if we had a home address we could try to make contact w/family and get another cell phone number for the driver if possible OR a possible destination they were enroute to. They will provide the vin most of the time...I've talked to some b***chy people that wouldn't even provide that! So assuming our computer system and dmv's system are up we can find the owners info.

So basically by the time onstar gets the activation, calls us, we dispatch a unit and then they drive to an intersection you are talking about several minutes and w/out a direction of travel the service provided by onstar is rather useless IMO. I wouldn't worry about your info since they won't even provide the basics to law enforcement when THEY called US. :banghead:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That kinda makes onstar sound even lamer...

OK so the only way to turn off onstar is to forget GM? I guess I'll have to decide between lesser evils. Maybe I'll go back to a dodge minivan (sobbing uncontrollably) or perhaps the CX-9? motor trend seemed to like it better than the Acadia. We looked at 04-07 pacificas yesterday, not nearly as well planned as the acadia and only a 6 seater, back row access was sad as well. I guess the other option is just buy the Acadia and when TSHTF grab my bug out bag, cut the wires to the antenna and head for the hills! :uzi:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cusco do you have a cell phone? If you do guess what, reading the terms and conditions in for your cell will read just about the same, they can listen in to your conversations on your cell. If you want to totally disable the OnStar system you would have to tell the Service dept. and they could remove the module, at your expense. And have fun trying to resell a vehicle with a non operational function on the car because you felt is wa s important to maintain your freedom.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
[
by the way, I'm Canadian. I thought Americans were supposed to be all up in arms about rights and freedoms or is that just a stereotype we have up here in the north? :)

[/quote]

Uh, I live in Texas. The only right we really care about is the fire arm one!!!

Just Kidding- had to stereotype my native Texan husband!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll consider the Acadia if the cost of the onstar removal is not too high. I'll see what the dealer says next week. as for resale if the dealer can take it out they should be able to put it back. This all begs the question why pay extra (it is in the price somewhere) for something that I don't want and then pay again to remove it?

Wait, I know cause it's a really really nice vehicle! Third only to the CX-9 and the MDX. hee hee

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been in law enforcement for 12 years and yes we get false calls from OnStar. OnStar has gotten better over the years about giving us better information. Even though we get the false calls, we get many many more false calls from alarm companies. Personally I have been involved in a couple of stolen auto calls from OnStar in which we caught the theives with the vehicles. I've been involved in several more where we recovered the stolen vehicle because of OnStar even though the thieves were gone. To me these incidents are worth OnStar. Everything I do at work in the car gets tracked by computer or when I'm out of the car via a camera, so I guess I don't think anything about it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts