GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Being new to (late model) GM vehicles, I have NO experience with OnStar. Seems like several members here have owned Yukons, Envoys and other recent GM vehicles - give us the run-down on OnStar. How often do you use it? How well does it work? Have you tried the Turn-by-turn navigation yet? I'm mostly curious about starting to procedure - do you get a live person on the phone, like an operator, and give them the address if where you are going? Just hoping to get a thread started here with some useful info for the new GM owners among us.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, the last time I had a GM was 1989 and it was a 72 Skylark. But my mom returned to GM after 16 years with a 2004 Envoy, and OnStar was key to her decision to go with GM. She does not have turn-by-turn navigation, but she has used it to diagnose an engine light and she does use the phone a good deal. She buys the minutes packages, so I doubt she is using the phone each time she is in the car, but it is often.

This was key to us primarily looking at GM this time, with a little one, I wanted my wife and girl to have OnStar for safety reasons. Also, I am not crazy about my skills driving while using the phone, so that is handy too. The navigation is a plus, which I did not know about before looking, but look forward to learning more about it. I did not want a NAV radio, because for the amount of money we would never get the use of it. If you can turn on the Nav features of onstar by the month, for when you will be leaving town, that will be great, but I might even enable it year round if you cannot turn it on when expected to be high periods of use.

I have looked a little into switching our cell phones to Verizon, so the Acadia can just be another extention of the family plan and will probably do that.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have the Verizon family plan, but found it was actually cheaper to just buy the minutes. However, I don't (yet) use the car phone too much. If I used it a lot, then Verizon would definately be the way to go

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I find it invaluable for the phone and just piece of mind.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You know whats really neat about the phone (which is really quite logical), is that unlike a cell phone which has to be on to receive the call - as long as you are driving, the onstar phone rings. Lots of times, my wife may give me a call while I'm in the car (honey, don't forget...), and I may have forgotten to turn my cell on. With the car phone (it has a seperate number), I now have no excuses. Wait a minute, I may want to rethink this a bit :-\

·
Registered
7 Posts
Turn-by-Turn Nav
Engine Diag.
Phone (works almost EVERYWHERE) so much better rec. than cell phone
24 hr 911 assistance
Remote Door Unlock (awsome used it so many times)
Lost Vehicle Locator
16.95 (i think)
Just awsome!

GMC YUKON :) BUt the same w/ acadia/outlook/enclave

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
josh said:
Remote Door Unlock (awsome used it so many times)
That alone could be worth the price. A couple of years ago, we were driving to southern Utah (a beautiful but very isolated area). We stopped for gas. When I got out to fill up, I left our dog in the car. She immediately hit the lock switch, locking herself in. It took several hours to get someone who could unlock the door for us. ::)

Kelly

·
Registered
7 Posts
That alone could be worth the price. A couple of years ago, we were driving to southern Utah (a beautiful but very isolated area). We stopped for gas. When I got out to fill up, I left our dog in the car. She immediately hit the lock switch, locking herself in. It took several hours to get someone who could unlock the door for us. ::)

Kelly
[/quote]

I think a months subscription would be about the same price as getting your doors unlocked one time..i could be wrong..

·
Registered
794 Posts
That reminds me, I saw an ad for a device that fit inside and padlocked to your trailer hitch - where you could keep your spare key. Trouble is I didn't have a hitch then, so I can't remember where the heck I saw the ad-but it seemed really neat. Cause if you are in a remote enough place, about all can do is find a big rock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I currently drive a 2001 Blazer equipped with OnStar. I have used it exactly twice: Once when the car was brand new (and so was OnStar) I tried it just for the heck of it. The operator could be heard clearly and was able to correctly identify my position. The second time I used it (when I actually needed it) the system could not connect. Granted, it was somewhat cloudy and being a first-gen OnStar system, it uses the old analog cell network, but I did not renew after that. The car locater and airbag deployment notification alone would make it worthwhile for me, but only if it actually works! Since then I have joined AAA and used it on three occasions. The great thing about AAA is you can use it in any car. Of course you have to be conscious and have a cell phone... :-\

·
Registered
794 Posts
I know that there is a way to save the info. Just don't remember how. Book is in the car and its late. I'll check tomorrow, unless you East coast guys get up before me (good chance).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried to do the turn by turn Nav with the downloaded directions to the radio over the weekend, but I had only had the Acadia for about 3 days, so they could only do the voice directions. They said it'd take a few days to "Setup" the turn by turn for my vehicle.

I might try again tonight just for the heck of it, see if it works! I might as well get familiar with it since it's free for a year!

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
156 Posts
Lipsman said:
I might as well get familiar with it since it's free for a year!

Jon
Jon,

Is Turn by Turn free during the 1st year???? I thought that only the Safe and Sound Plan was free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The way I read it, the first year is free, and then $2xx per year after that...

I got the voice directions from the OnStar Guy the other day when the turn by turn didn't work yet, and I don't think that's part of the safe and sound.

Only thing I Authorized to my CC was an extra 100 minutes for one year. Which don't get used for turn by turn, normal directions, finding restaurats, etc... Only time the mintues get used is if you hit the phone button. Hitting the the other 2 buttons for anything doensn't count against your minutes. ;D

·
Registered
794 Posts
My bad, I've double checked everything and can't find any info about saving your directions to the radio (outside or the recall mentioned above). Either I misread something or I've just read way too many directions lately. It is kinda neat what your radio will display direction wise though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts