GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

Two large deer hit me this morning, going 65mph on the freeway. I had to be towed, not drivable. On-star collision was not alerted. I called On-star a couple hours later asking how the heck that collision did not trigger an alert, and they responded with "the sensors were probably not tripped" - when I asked where the sensors were located, bc the entire front and side end were hit, they responded that they do not know. So, does anyone know where exactly where the sensors are located on the front end?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can't help, but sorry for your accident!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good to hear! You can always replace a car (well, insurance...). On-Star not seeing that much damage is concerting.
A co-worker hit a deer once in a Honda Civic 4 door. The deer was totally fine, the Civic not so much. haha

·
Registered
949 Posts
Wow. . . Glad to hear you are ok . . . that is horrendous damage for a couple of deer.

Not completley sure but . . . I don't think that Onstar is alerted unless the air bags deploy. That sensor is usually Yellow . . . right in front of the radiator somewhere.

We were fortunate last Fall when one errant buck ran into our Chevy Colorado very early and still dark one morning. Never saw it coming until I saw it's head and antlers right in front of the passenger headlight where it mostly hit. My wife in the passenger seat and I were startled. I was going just about 60MPH and it did not look too bad. Bu when the deer hit is swung around and also made several smaller dents in the rear door and fender leading edge.
It also crinkled the front fender edge, smashed headlight that still worked, but was shattered behind it.
Would have been at least $2,500 but I opted for paintless dent repair for the rear dents. . . . $125 rather than an additional $1,300. They wanted to remove the pickup bed, rear bumper, and whatever.
I bought my own headlight, put it in and then took it to the body shop for a new fender. Luckily, the plastic grille and bits were undamaged except to a foglight bezel.

Hope repairs or replacement goes well !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't know where the sensors are located but normally impact sensors are triggered by deceleration rate (or acceleration rate in the case of rear sensors). Given that the Acadia is considerably heavier than the deer you probably didn't slow all that quickly in order to trip the sensor.

The amount of damage is attributable to the crumble zones designed into the vehicle to absorb energy and they certainly did that quite well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. . . Glad to hear you are ok . . . that is horrendous damage for a couple of deer.

Not completley surebut . . . I don't think that Onstar is alerted unless the air bags deploy. That sensor is usually Yellow . . . right in front of the radiator somewhere.
We were fortunate last Fall when one errant buck ran into our Chevy Colorado very early and still dark one morning. Never saw it coming until I saw it's head and antlers right in front of the passenger headlight where it mostly hit. My wife in the passenger seat and I were startled. I was going just about 60MPH and it did not look too bad. Bu when the deer hit is swung around and also made several smaller dents in the rear door and fender leading edge.
It also crinkled the front fender edge, smashed headlight that still worked, but was shattered behind it.
Would have been at least $2,500 but I opted for paintless dent repair for the rear dents. . . . $125 rather than an additional $1,300. They wanted to remove the pickup bed, rear bumper, and whatever.
I bought my own headlight, put it in and then took it to the body shop for a new fender. Luckily, the plastic grille and bits were undamaged except to a foglight bezel.

Hope repairs or replacement goes well !
That makes sense bc the airbags did not deploy. It was about 7:00AM and foggy. Both jumped the guard rail at the same exact time and struck at the same exact time. I was going fast enough and they were heavy enough that the both bounced off into the median, luckily not rolling on the hood/wind shield. EMS, FIRE, and State Patrol all asked me if I wanted to mount them because they were "freaking huge". I declined.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know where the sensors are located but normally impact sensors are triggered by deceleration rate (or acceleration rate in the case of rear sensors). Given that the Acadia is considerably heavier than the deer you probably didn't slow all that quickly in order to trip the sensor.

The amount of damage is attributable to the crumble zones designed into the vehicle to absorb energy and they certainly did that quite well.
Thanks! I didn't brake at all until after the hit, I did swerve into the adjacent lane mid hit as a delayed reaction. I'm honestly so impressed (and lucky) at how well the energy was absorbed.

·
Super Moderator
19,529 Posts
OnStar doesn't have its own discreet collision sensors in the vehicle. It uses information from sensors which monitor/control other systems necessary for safe operation of the vehicle (airbag, inertia/accelerometer, etc.) and would be recorded in the event data recorder (EDR). OnStar would most likely send out its notification in a situation where the EDR stopped recording due to severity of the accident.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thanks! I didn't brake at all until after the hit, I did swerve into the adjacent lane mid hit as a delayed reaction. I'm honestly so impressed (and lucky) at how well the energy was absorbed.
Please keep us posted as to what the outcome might be for repairs or what the insurance company decides on. Would be good to know what they say the damages are. Two deer at once. . . good to know the Acadia can stand up to that and that you were able to maintain control.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts