GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unexpectedly onstar offered me a "good only on this call" offer of 100 minutes of calling time that lasted the entire year at a discount rate of $14.99 (40% off?) I didn't take it because they caught me off guard and I hate pressure sales tactics. I think I've decided to take the deal now, but since I missed that offer I'm curious if they ever offer similar sales events on calling minutes? Or is there a coupon I could mention to get a deal?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got the same call, said what the heck, it's cheap, and took them up on it. Reception is better than a cell phone, I've found, for whatever reason, so it's helpful to use it when I know there are going to be dead spots along the way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We got the same offer in the mail along with a card that looks like a credit card with Mikes name on it, only need to press the OnStar button to get the deal - we are going to take it-- 100 minutes for $14.99 good for a year- even though we have cell phones, never know when we might forget to take them with us and need to make a call. I think Mike is going to activate it this week end, along with installing the LockPick :dancing: :clap2: :banana:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i found on their website that as long as you've never purchased minutes before you can still get that deal. Darn that rep, she made me think I had one single shot at getting the deal, those pressure tactics are rude. I still intend to get it, cheap minutes that last an entire year are nice. Hope, I don't forget to use them or forget when they expire.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes, that is the price of the very 1st 100-minute purchase, thereafter it will be $39.99 or so. I remember one forum member was able to purchase multiple (10 times ?) 100 minutes for the same discounted price :eek:
I think he did it within 30 days of the initial purchase. I do not recall the exact information. The thread is somewhere in this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the 100 minutes deal and specifically asked if I could go ahead and buy 200 minutes for $30, and the person told that wasn't offered. My cousin has a Yukon and she said she bought the 100 minutes and preceding the year being up she was getting offers to repurchase it for the normal price for the next year, and she never renewed it. After the year was over they sent her another special to repurchase it at a discounted price. I don't know if that will be the case with the Acadia, or if that is normal for all GMC's with the phone capabilities.

·
Registered
730 Posts
kram said:
Yes, that is the price of the very 1st 100-minute purchase, thereafter it will be $39.99 or so. I remember one forum member was able to purchase multiple (10 times ?) 100 minutes for the same discounted price :eek:
I think he did it within 30 days of the initial purchase. I do not recall the exact information. The thread is somewhere in this forum.
i think it was an online purchase

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchesed the "100 minutes package" when I bought my car. The minutes expire unless you renew your OnStar. We decided to renew the OnStar this year and purchase an additional 100 minutes because the overall quality of the phone service. California has a no "hand held" phone law so it was either that or bluetooth, which is not alway the greatest system. Much to our surprise, our unused minutes rolled over to our renewed service so we now have plenty of minutes. I think the oveall sevice is worth it, but that is just an opinion.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My wife and I have Verizon Wireless cell phone service ...

That said, we added our Acadia to our VZW plan - www.verizonwireless.com/onstar ... It's just like any other phone on our share plan; $9.99/month and it draws from our bucket of minutes.

I find that my wife uses many, many more minutes in the Acadia than she does on her cell phone now.... The hands-free is excellent and as someone said, voice quality is outstanding.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a former Verizon Wireless employee. Little known fact is that the entire OnStar system is hosted on the Verizon Wireless network ... So for those of you who say the quality is better than your cell phone - welcome to Verizon Wireless. The commercials say it, and it's so true -- "It's the Network!" Even though I'm no longer an employee there, I wouldn't have any other mobile phone service ........

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
dmurphy said:

That said, we added our Acadia to our VZW plan - www.verizonwireless.com/onstar ... It's just like any other phone on our share plan; $9.99/month and it draws from our bucket of minutes.

I find that my wife uses many, many more minutes in the Acadia than she does on her cell phone now.... The hands-free is excellent and as someone said, voice quality is outstanding.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a former Verizon Wireless employee. Little known fact is that the entire OnStar system is hosted on the Verizon Wireless network ... So for those of you who say the quality is better than your cell phone - welcome to Verizon Wireless. The commercials say it, and it's so true -- "It's the Network!" Even though I'm no longer an employee there, I wouldn't have any other mobile phone service ........
The other thing about the Onstar calling system, is that even if you Verizon Cell phone doesn't work in some spots, the car will work most of the time. There is an increased signal strength (3 watts, vs normal cell phone 1 watt or less) in the vehicle system. Don't believe me, check it. Next time your Verizon cell has no signal, check your mirror, if the light is green there you still have a cell signal via Onstar, if it is red, your SOL ( have only seen this one time on the old analog Onstar system in my 04 Envoy)
Article on Onstar

·
Registered
912 Posts
bonk1313 said:
dmurphy said:

The other thing about the Onstar calling system, is that even if you Verizon Cell phone doesn't work in some spots, the car will work most of the time. There is an increased signal strength (3 watts, vs normal cell phone 1 watt or less) in the vehicle system. Don't believe me, check it. Next time your Verizon cell has no signal, check your mirror, if the light is green there you still have a cell signal via Onstar, if it is red, your SOL ( have only seen this one time on the old analog Onstar system in my 04 Envoy)
Article on Onstar
You are correct Bonk when we were in Myaka State Park our cell phones couldn't get out I jumped in the truck and made a call no problem at all. The on star calling feature works great. I added the initial 100 minuted for 20 bucks and will be topping up when it comes close to expiring.

·
Registered
427 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Article on Onstar
While I completely believe it has a better antenna system, it's definitely not 3 watts.... that would be for the old analog OnStar system. 3 watts on a modern tri-band CDMA system would be massive overkill ...

I'm sure it's better than most handsets, but I'd be willing to bet it's much less than 3 watts ...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Former VZW employee here as well.  Seems like a good deal.  VZW has the best cell coverage here in our area.  Now only if they could get some nicer choices in cell phones.  They botched the deal with Apple and the iPhone... they had first dibs  :(.  IPhone is schweet, but AT&T coverage sux big time!!!

I'm waiting for XM to call me next on our Acadia.  Last time I shared with them that the service works 50% of the time here in the Evergreen State (KEY: Trees).  Last time on the Denali they offered me 50% off.  If they come back again, I'm going for it... I'm addicted to FOX news!

BTW, those of you government employees (retired as well) get a discount with most cell carriers... we also get discounts on accessories as well. It helps in the long run! $$$

1 - 13 of 13 Posts